PDA

View Full Version : Non-Contiguous Rear Ranks - Legal?

samas990
28-09-2010, 14:55
I had a discussion with a friend of mine about rear rank configurations. After reading the rules for formations, what is to stop him from forming a unit like so?:

(X = model, ... = space)

Front
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
...X....X.....
Rear

Do the models in the rear rank need to be next to one another? In the Forming Units section of the rulebook, it doesn't restrict it, so I'd assume you can. It seems that a non-contiguous rear rank complies with RAW. I don't think it meets RAI, for what that's worth. I don't have the rules here at work, but I recall RAW says that each model must make contact orthogonally and that orthogonal means "edge-to-edge and corner-to-corner", but it doesn't say each model must maximize contact.

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Blkc57
28-09-2010, 15:07
I'm almost curious to ask what is the benefit to trying to organize your back rank in such a manner? To position him behind favorable supporting attack locations?

I don't think its truly important where they go in the back seeing as how if they are rear-charged the enemy would still count as being in base contact with 6 X's

T10
28-09-2010, 15:24
The rule book does not require you to group models in the rear rank into a contiguous rank. In fact, you may need to create a gap between the models if your unit has been engaged on both flanks.

The benefit of distributing your rear-rank models in such a manner seems to depend on the circumstances. And circumstances do change. If an opponent seems inclined to shuffle his rear models around for some sort of marginal benefit I might feel inclined to require him to use a reform manoeuvre to do so.

theunwantedbeing
28-09-2010, 15:28
If an opponent seems inclined to shuffle his rear models around for some sort of marginal benefit I might feel inclined to require him to use a reform manoeuvre to do so.

That would require a reform as your not allowed to "shuffle" models around. Except of course when in combat and then you slide them across into base contact.

Taking casualties off "strategically" is completely legal by the letter of the rules.

narrativium
28-09-2010, 16:06
I'm almost curious to ask what is the benefit to trying to organize your back rank in such a manner? To position him behind favorable supporting attack locations?
I've come across this scenario a few times. I play Ogres. The impact hits a unit causes on the charge depends on the Strength of the front model and the number of Ogres behind, so, if I put a Tyrant and Bruiser in the front corner positions of a 3-wide unit of 6 Bulls, ensuring the two rear-rank-most Bulls are directly behind their characters rather than adjacent is the difference between an S6 hit and an S7 one.

theorox
28-09-2010, 16:31
I've come across this scenario a few times. I play Ogres. The impact hits a unit causes on the charge depends on the Strength of the front model and the number of Ogres behind, so, if I put a Tyrant and Bruiser in the front corner positions of a 3-wide unit of 6 Bulls, ensuring the two rear-rank-most Bulls are directly behind their characters rather than adjacent is the difference between an S6 hit and an S7 one.

Neat. :)

Theo

Kevlar
28-09-2010, 16:40
Helps with the miscast and misfire table too. I've seen skaven players advocating putting back rank troops to either side, out of contact with the screaming bell. Doesn't seem right, but doesn't seem to be illegal as the rear rank placement is never addressed for troops outside of combat.