PDA

View Full Version : Can the rear rank shift to gain supporting attacks?

samas990
28-09-2010, 16:59
Wow! Thanks guys for answering my questions so quickly. In that case, here is one that I'm sure is easy to answer, but my brain just ain't workin' right now to formulate a good answer.

Let's say you have the following scenario
Chargers are Os. Defenders Xs.

Rear
.......OOOO
.......OOOO
XXXXXXXX
XXX.........
Rear

If you have an incomplete second rank and a lesser frontage, if someone charges you on one side, you'll have fewer models fighting. The question is whether the back row can shift to gain supporting attacks. At the time it came up, my opponent said yes. Upon further thought, he said no. Now there is just a 50/50 split amongst some folk in the group.

Just to give further illustration, let's say you are charged in the flank like so:

Front
XXXXXX OOO
XXXXXX OOO
XXX..... OOO <--- direction of charge
Rear

I believe the rules allow you to shift your rank to compensate for the gap:

Front
XXXXXX OOO
XXXXXX OOO
..->XXX OOO
Rear

Now, assume that you have been charged head on:

Rear
.......OOOO
.......OOOO
XXXXXXXX
XXX.........
Rear

Can you shift your rear rank like this to compensate?:

Rear
.......OOOO
.......OOOO
XXXXXXXX
....->XXX..
Rear

When would a shift like this ever be legal? I figure a reform on a tied combat would allow for it, but what about before or as a free response? Thanks guys!

Lungboy
28-09-2010, 17:02
In your last example, as everyone in the front can attack, everyone behind can too to my knowledge, so you don't need to shift anyone.

samas990
28-09-2010, 17:06
Oops! Great catch Lungboy. Sorry about that. I changed my illustration to compensate.

theunwantedbeing
28-09-2010, 17:13
You have to maximise models in base contact from both sides.
Supporting attacks don't count towards this.

Your only allowed to slide incomplete rear ranks so that your in base contact with the enemy when flanked (infact you are forced to).

So no, you cannot slide ranks across when charged. However you are free to make a combat reform after the combat has been resolved so that in the next round you will get the full complimnt of supporting attacks (assuming models are alive!).

As a side question...
..I wonder if when you flank a unit with a particularly large front model that it's base overlaps past the rear ranks, are you allowed to strike it?

TheKingInYellow
28-09-2010, 17:32
I would say you can. It's clear the back rank can shift in order to maximize the number of models fighting in the case of a flank charge. Why would the same not apply to a frontal charge?

Lungboy
28-09-2010, 17:58
The flank charge allows it as it maximises models in base contact.

mishari26
28-09-2010, 20:11
I join my vote for not allowing the rear ranks to slide for supporting attacks.

since there's nothing in the rules that allow them to. as they should be centered. and unless charged in the flank.. there's no reason to cause them to go left or right. no rule that is.

as for maximizing. that's as others have mentioned only for B2B models.

T10
28-09-2010, 21:33
Advice: Use the combat reform option to shuffle your models around within their unit.

-T10

Chris_
28-09-2010, 23:19
The rules for "sliding" are explained on pg. 49 BRB under "Incomplete Ranks". There are no rules that says you need to maximise the amount of supporting attacks (only people in b2b).

TheKingInYellow
29-09-2010, 01:34
Yeah I reverse my earlier position. I thought you maximized attacks, but it's clearly maximizing B-2-B contact.

No sliding.