PDA

View Full Version : Slann dies when?

Oglog
28-09-2010, 20:15
I was playing my regular opponent who owns the BRB (and I dont).
Acorrding to him (and I trust him, I just think this supposed rule is stupid) If the BSB and or his unit flees, then he dies. (or something like that) Is this right? (if not, then what is the rule?)

Also, does this rule apply to my slann BSB , who is
a) my general
b) almost never in base contact with enemy units (if this affects the rule?)

cheers
/Oglog

theunwantedbeing
28-09-2010, 20:26
Yup, BSB dies when he fails a break test while in close combat.
Slann being a BsB is an unfortunate side effect of this.

On the upside
The slann tends to be a cold blooded ld9 stubborn model who get's a re-roll and there is no fear autobreak event.

While he does auto-die when he flees, it's unlikely to actually happen.

On an unrelated note, that woman will regret playing cricket in that Bikini if the ball hits anywhere but those knee pads or her bat.

Vsurma
28-09-2010, 20:45
You can take the discipline banner if your afraid of it happening.

decker_cky
28-09-2010, 21:46
Ehhh...it's unlikely, but with doom and gloom combined with any other anti-leadership item, the slann is down to Ld5 cold blooded (6 with discipline), which has a decent threat of breaking from a lost combat.

T10
29-09-2010, 09:38
It's the equivalent of failing to get a 4 or less on 6 dice rolls.

Huh?

-T10

Nirvandt
29-09-2010, 09:53
Can you issue a hero challenge to the Slann, and if he refuses it does he move to the back of the unit and his Leadership not be used along with his BSB ability?

narrativium
29-09-2010, 10:52
Nirvandt: he's usually not in a position where he can accept a challenge.

Atrahasis
29-09-2010, 11:42
It's the equivalent of failing to get a 4 or less on 6 dice rolls.

4-6-6
4-6-6

Dead Slann.

T10
29-09-2010, 14:03
Can you issue a hero challenge to the Slann, and if he refuses it does he move to the back of the unit and his Leadership not be used along with his BSB ability?

Yes, the Slann is a character.

-T10

Oglog
29-09-2010, 16:20
Thanks for replies, glad I have cleared that up

Looks as if I have found a new sig, thanks TUB :)

On an unrelated note, that woman will regret playing cricket in that Bikini if the ball hits anywhere but those knee pads or her bat.

Shizzbam
29-09-2010, 16:48
Yes its true, which is why all the Lizardmen players I know have a Saurus Scar-Veteran holding their standard ;)

Vsurma
29-09-2010, 16:55
You do not have to be in btb to be challenged, that said the model does have T4 W5 and a 4+ ward, as long as your opponent isn't too crazy you can accept the challenge.

Declining to do so does indeed force the slann into the back, this is nice since 2 TG now get to step up into his place. However you cannot use your BSB re-roll which is a tad risky.

I would only run from a challenge if faced by a killing blow model.

Doom and darkness works? Stubborn and steadfast state you always take your ld tests on your unmodified leadership, does doom and darkness not modify your leadership, as far as I can tell that is all the spell does.

So how would that have any effect?

theunwantedbeing
29-09-2010, 17:02

It's good that killing blow works on Slann now :)
It's a boost for Waywatchers.

Doom and darkness works? Stubborn and steadfast state you always take your ld tests on your unmodified leadership, does doom and darkness not modify your leadership, as far as I can tell that is all the spell does.

Indeed, Steadfast says "unmodified" leadership, doom and darkness modifies your leadership. So you'de be Steadfast, Stubborn unit's are always steadfast so wouldn't suffer the penalty either.

Tae
29-09-2010, 17:11
Indeed, Steadfast says "unmodified" leadership, doom and darkness modifies your leadership. So you'de be Steadfast, Stubborn unit's are always steadfast so wouldn't suffer the penalty either.

Actually the FAQ 1.1 amended the first paragraph (the one that mentions unmodified leadership) to read
“If a defeated unit has more
ranks than its enemy, it takes a Break test without applying the
difference in the combat result scores".

So things like doom and darkness work just fine.

theunwantedbeing
29-09-2010, 17:24
Actually the FAQ 1.1 amended the first paragraph (the one that mentions unmodified leadership) to read
“If a defeated unit has more
ranks than its enemy, it takes a Break test without applying the
difference in the combat result scores".

So things like doom and darkness work just fine.

Indeed, I had forgotten to check the FAQ's.

diggerydoom
29-09-2010, 20:42
You do not have to be in btb to be challenged, that said the model does have T4 W5 and a 4+ ward, as long as your opponent isn't too crazy you can accept the challenge.

Declining to do so does indeed force the slann into the back, this is nice since 2 TG now get to step up into his place. However you cannot use your BSB re-roll which is a tad risky.

I cannot find anything in the BRB that says a battle standard must not refuse a challenge to be useful.

Vsurma
29-09-2010, 20:52
Hmm, might be right, it does say under refusing challenges that their leadership cannot be used but nothing about a battle standard re-roll being negated.

I also could not find anything under the battle standard bearer section.

Unless someone can find another rule I guess you can refuse challenges, in fact if this is so then being challenged is actually a good thing as it trades 1 S3 attack for 2 S5 attacks.

a18no
29-09-2010, 21:03

When you refuse challenge, you only go somewhere that is not in base contact, since he is in the second rank, he stay where he is so block 2 bases.

When a character refuse a challenge, you can't take his LD for test. But anything beside that is still there:

Since saurus are ld8, and if the slann had the discipline banner he still give +1 ld to the unit. Stubborn ld 9 if he refuse the challenge....

It's not a reliable way to kill him, use spell to drop ld, make the challenge trick to remove another 1 pt to ld, and break them.