PDA

View Full Version : Declare charge when clearly out of range

DwD
29-09-2010, 08:18
Is it allowed/possible?

Say it's the first turn, can I declare a charge, move my movement and hope that I get high enough dice rolls to move farther than a march would've gotten me?

For example, I got 6 move, if I would've marched I would've walked 12 move, if I instead declare a charge I move my 6 move and then roll 2 dice and hope that I get higher than 6 with them?

Yrrdead
29-09-2010, 08:20
No. You can't declare charges that are impossible.

pg 16

Fubar
29-09-2010, 08:27
And a failed charge you only move as far as the highest dice anyway, so maximum you would be able to move is 6" but that can't happen anyway as yrrdead said

Chris_
29-09-2010, 08:29
Not possible to declare a charge that you theoretically can't succeed with. I already thought about this one for my Tomb Kings.

Their move is 4 and can't march so a 2d6 pick highest has a higher average :P Sadly doesn't work.

Yrrdead
29-09-2010, 08:31
There is an advantage to be gained though with declaring legal but unlikely charge's.

I've found that I will declare charges with my undead units that are out of range of a vampire for some reason. As the probability of rolling >= my normal movement value is normally worth the gamble.

Though I'm no mathologist so take that with a grain of salt.

The Grim
29-09-2010, 08:34
I had actually considered this question for another purpose: Terror.
By this you could force a panic test anywhere on the board. Too bad it doesn't work.

DwD
29-09-2010, 10:59
Thanks for the answers just want to clarify something as Im just getting back into Warhammer.

If I declare a charge and I dont roll high enough to reach my target I still move all my move yards + the highest of the 2 dice and this is forced? I cant declare a charge and then roll and see that I didnt reach and say nah I dont wanna do that right?

Munin
29-09-2010, 11:05
If your charge fails you ONLY move the highest die number and not your movement value.

Zilverug
29-09-2010, 11:09
If your charge fails you ONLY move the highest die number and not your movement value.

The average 6-sided die roll is 3.5.
This would benefit Dwarfs with their basic movement value of 3.

Chris_
29-09-2010, 11:21
This would benefit Dwarfs with their basic movement value of 3.Yes, and the average of the highest die of 2d6 is more around 4.5-ish. Not that that has anything to do with it.

Fubar is right, and Munin repeated it anyway. So it should be clear, it's actually very clear in the rules for failed charge.

T10
29-09-2010, 14:05
This would benefit Dwarfs with their basic movement value of 3.

Please describe a situation where a dwarf unit a) has the opportunity to declare a charge and b) does not have the opportunity to march.

-T10

Eldoriath
29-09-2010, 19:56
The avarage when rolling two dice and taking the highest is 4,7 if you only write it out with one decimal. So I guess undead with M4 and no march will win on doing this at avarage. Though doing this against units with ranged weaponry is probably just plain stupid and can give rise to some odd situations. Had a friend that tried to charge my corsairs equipped with hand-bows only to find himself short. So his unit ended up some 12" away from my corsairs 8" range.... with three dead dogs O.o

Grimskarr
30-09-2010, 06:49
I had actually considered this question for another purpose: Terror.
By this you could force a panic test anywhere on the board. Too bad it doesn't work.Assuming you were within extreme range (ie. Flying monster within in 22"), you can still try this tactic with one of your units BUT only TWICE in a turn.

P. 18 Redirecting the Charge <last line in section> "Each unit can only make one redirect per turn."

decker_cky
30-09-2010, 07:00
Yeah....it's surprising how big the terror range is when someone declares a 16-18" charge with a giant. When using terror causers, I'm definitely going to declare improbably charges at units away from the general/BSB bubble (and possibly redirecting to another if they flee).

Kalandros
30-09-2010, 08:28
Please describe a situation where a dwarf unit a) has the opportunity to declare a charge and b) does not have the opportunity to march.

-T10

My rangers, behind enemy lines, were reduced to M1 by Shadow Miasma spell.

I charged (I needed a 11-12 to succeed) and didn't get high enough but hey I rolled a 5 so I moved 5 inches instead of 2.

Harwammer
30-09-2010, 13:17
Yeah....it's surprising how big the terror range is when someone declares a 16-18" charge with a giant. When using terror causers, I'm definitely going to declare improbably charges at units away from the general/BSB bubble (and possibly redirecting to another if they flee).

This is what I do to clear supporting units but it is embarassing when the big guy fails his redirect test

T10
30-09-2010, 23:17
My rangers, behind enemy lines, were reduced to M1 by Shadow Miasma spell.

I charged (I needed a 11-12 to succeed) and didn't get high enough but hey I rolled a 5 so I moved 5 inches instead of 2.

Kudos for proving that Zilverug's statement had at least some merit (i.e. a failed charge may be the fastest way to travel), though I feel I should point out that this situation is not unique to Dwarfs, nor would it seem that your rangers were hindered from marching. :)

Also, Zilverug seemed to have the idea that there was some benefit in declaring a charge (with the expectation that it would fail) even without the unit's Movement being modified... I guess I'll let the matter drop.

-T10

decker_cky
01-10-2010, 02:35
With dwarfs, there's times where you might as well go for 13+" charges since there's no downside to failing (3-6" forward won't open your flank) and a charge gives you a chance to throw off your opponent's battle plan.