PDA

View Full Version : Quick-to-Fire and Marching

Shades
29-09-2010, 12:10
p. 73: "Quick to fire weapons do not suffer the usual -1 To Hit penalty for moving and shooting..."

Does the Quick-to-Fire benefit apply when the unit Marches? I suspect "yes", since "marching" is "moving", just at double-time.

Atrahasis
29-09-2010, 12:14
Yes .

T10
29-09-2010, 14:08
Yes. This is because the Quick to Fire rule allows you to ignore the penalty for moving and firing. Marching does not impose a different modifier to the shooting attack: By default you simply don't get to shoot at all.

-T10

Shades
30-09-2010, 00:12
Yes. This is because the Quick to Fire rule allows you to ignore the penalty for moving and firing. Marching does not impose a different modifier to the shooting attack: By default you simply don't get to shoot at all.

You could argue it this way, though.

Standard Move
Penalty to Move & Shoot: -1 to hit
Quick-to-Fire benefit: negate -1 to hit

Standard March
Penalty to March & Shoot: n/a (no shoot)
Quick-to-Fire benefit: n/a (no shoot)

Now add Skirmisher.

Skirmish Move
Penalty to Move & Shoot: -1 to hit
Quick-to-Fire benefit: negate -1 to hit

Skirmish March
Penalty to March & Shoot: -1 to hit
Quick-to-Fire benefit: ?

"...ignore the penalty for moving and firing..."

Does ignoring the penalty apply only to the Move sections above, because "moving" means only Move, not March?
Or does it apply to both Move and March, because March is a type of Move?

Casshole
30-09-2010, 00:15
In this situation march is a type of movement. I would allow you to ignore the modifiers.

Synnister
30-09-2010, 01:58
If marching is not moving then what is it?

Shades
30-09-2010, 02:21
I admit it might be splitting hairs, but I'm representing 3 people who are undecided on this, with probably 3 others waiting in the wings who are historically RAW-inclined. To some degree, I'm playing devil's advocate.

The thought is that a Move is defined as moving a model's move rate, while March is defined as moving double the model's move rate. From this point of view, both terms are game terms that stand on their own, each with their own definition.

Synnister
30-09-2010, 02:26
marching is moving. thus you get the -1 to hit which is negated by the quick to fire rule.

Kevlar
30-09-2010, 02:36
Skirmishers have no penalty for marching with quick to fire. It makes their crappy 8" thrown weapons somewhat feasible. Although I just take the penalty and multishot with poison slings. For what I am usually shooting at the sixes are all I want anyway.

Feefait
30-09-2010, 02:47
what are quick to fire weapons?

Synnister
30-09-2010, 03:23
weapons that have the quick to fire rule ... namely thrown weapons.

Shades
30-09-2010, 11:10
Thanks for weighing in, folks. I appreciate the help.