PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Extreme cheese (I think). High elves 2,500

thesheriff
29-09-2010, 19:17
I rarley win. And i dont mind that. Freindly games are for both players, and if they have a good time trouncing my poor mono-khorne daemons or my very flammable tree-army, thats fine with me. But, with tournaments, my truly cheesy centre fails to burst out of its flabby exterior.

So, with a bundle of cash around the corner from flogging elements of some of my old armies, and some odd work here an there, i think high elves, with there new found down right stilton-like reputation are gonna be my next project. I've always liked high elves, not so much the history, but the individual units have some great background. I also like to win like anyone. so i have crafted a list, to the best of my abilitys with some downright dirty components. I staved off on special charecters, i do want to keep some of my soul. But, the rest i think is pretty bad;

Charecters
Archmage, lv.4, Talismain of Saphery, Forlaiths robes, Silver wand, (lore of life) = 340
Noble, bsb, armour of caelador, guardian phoiniex, great weapon = 168
Mage, lv.2, seerstaff (shadow, mind razor, pit of shades) = 175

Core
20 Seaguard (5x4 with Mage), shields, full command = 285
33 Archers (20x2) w. command, banner of the eternal flame = 400

Special
23 Phoiniex guard (5x5 with archmage and bsb) w. command, Banner of Sorcery = 425
14 swordsmasters (7x2) w. musician = 216

Rare
5 Bolt throwers = 500

Total = 2,499

DISCLAMER: This list is purley for tourmanents, when i'm really depressed and need a win, or a request game. Other than that, my daemons all the way

so whydya think?

thesheriff

Pulstar
29-09-2010, 20:09
35 archers w/ full command and BoEF is 420 points.

Also I'd go down to 4 BT. Drop the archers to 32, and turn the 20 LSG to 19 spearmen and then add 3 giant eagles as war machine hunters/flank guards.

thesheriff
29-09-2010, 21:56
I dont see what eagles will do to help an army that says relativly stationary. Warmachines is all i hear about now, and i could just shoot them instead with wounding on 6's bows and bolt throwers. I've got 63 shots from the RBT's and archers, and they should hit with half, wound with 1/6th, so that's 2 warmchaines dead a turn,

And i just think for an extra 5 points per model, i could shoot with the seaguard instead of spearmen. But thanks for the archers point out. I'll just drop a pair of them.

but thank's :p

Brady
29-09-2010, 22:06
I dont see what eagles will do to help an army that says relativly stationary. Warmachines is all i hear about now, and i could just shoot them instead with wounding on 6's bows and bolt throwers. I've got 63 shots from the RBT's and archers, and they should hit with half, wound with 1/6th, so that's 2 warmchaines dead a turn,

And i just think for an extra 5 points per model, i could shoot with the seaguard instead of spearmen. But thanks for the archers point out. I'll just drop a pair of them.

but thank's :p

I would rather have 100 points of my army ( 2 eagles ) killing war machines than have 900 points of my army dedicated to do the same thing, besides the strength of this army is to shoot and wait, well if your shooting warmachines then your army is really just... waiting...

thesheriff
29-09-2010, 22:12
Humph. Damn you Brady and your logic!!. Ok, lose 1 bolt thrower, add in 2 eagles. Done :p

Heimagoblin
29-09-2010, 22:14
This really isn't cheese. Gunlines will out shoot you(my dwarfs for example), and combat armies will run you over (my lizardmen for example). Against balanced armies your list should do quite well, but how many of those do you see at tournements? First, I would drop the swordmasters for 3x5 white lions and deploy them 1x5 so they survive for ever and stay stubborn. Then I would drop the lower level heroes and add in a big unit of white lions. The heroes are nice but an army with 5 bolt throwers and an archmage at 2.5k can't afford them. Just my opinion though, don't have to take it.

thesheriff
29-09-2010, 22:25
A big unit of white lions does work in theroy, and i am planning one. Your 2 armies posed, the dwarves would outshoot me, but its not like i would'nt shoot back. And, even if you have alot of dipel dice, some lore of life, throne of vines, flesh to stone would steal me against some of the worst if I irresistable.

And the lizards would be shot to bits on the way there, and would still ahve to deal with some combat and magic to boot.

I dont know the exact composition of your lists, but i can see your point. Maybe on reflection, its not that cheesy, and more tame than i realised a couple of hours ago :p

thanks anyway

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
29-09-2010, 22:26
You not goimg for my DragonPrinceLifeStar (TM.) then?

Tried against a Mega squig bomb army (Horde sqigs are nasty) and it did very well.

It would be sick at 2500pts

I'd get another eagle (making 3) and 2 RBT's

monstallion
29-09-2010, 22:34
No book of Hoeth?

I don't think its that cheesey a list, the adding of eagles will be good as the 5 RBT's were a bit overkill.

looks like fun to play against

Pulstar
29-09-2010, 23:03
For shotie Id change it like this

# Charecters
# Archmage, lv.4, Talismain of Saphery, Forlaiths robes, Silver wand, (lore of life) = 340
# Noble, bsb, armour of caelador, guardian phoiniex, great weapon = 168
# Mage, lv.2, seerstaff (FIRE, sword of rhun, fire cage) = 175 +
# Mage lv 2 High Magic (hope for cure of AA but it's all good) and drain magic 135

core

19 Archers w/ full command (a mage here ) for taking the watch tower.
33 Archers w/ full command (a mage here) BoEF

PG bunker 425

4 Bolt throwers
4 Eagles

2500 pts

EDIT: 25 points short...add the Skienstien to PG champ. Going first to shoot one more time before you get into hth

Lord Inquisitor
29-09-2010, 23:07
Cheesy? Looks downright reasonable. If it doesn't have the book of hoeth or teclis in a folding fotress, it's not that bad.

Nice list, plenty of damage potential that you can spread around that I can't deal with all at once.

thesheriff
30-09-2010, 08:59
Maybe it's more balanced then. Which us a good thing. Shows I can use this in freindlyish games. Which means this list will have more than one use.

grhino
30-09-2010, 17:53
This list has got me thinking that 30+ archers for HE's are not a bad thing. Against most enemies you will get to strike first with re-rolls because of high I = lots of dead enemy basic troops. And you can shoot with 25 models per turn, while striking with all 30 in close combat. Not bad... might just go and use that from time to time, against certain enemies (against hordes (skaven/goblins) this would work).

thesheriff
30-09-2010, 20:07
This list has got me thinking that 30+ archers for HE's are not a bad thing. Against most enemies you will get to strike first with re-rolls because of high I = lots of dead enemy basic troops. And you can shoot with 25 models per turn, while striking with all 30 in close combat. Not bad... might just go and use that from time to time, against certain enemies (against hordes (skaven/goblins) this would work).

My thinking actually, lots of shots with a decent bs. And flaming is quite potent. A good way to fill up core i think.

goodz
01-10-2010, 22:32
just so you know Banner of eternal flame does not give you flaming shooting attacks, only flaming melee attacks.

Lord Inquisitor
01-10-2010, 22:41
just so you know Banner of eternal flame does not give you flaming shooting attacks, only flaming melee attacks.

Just so you know, the Banner of Eternal Flame does quite categorically give you flaming shooting attacks. Check the rule for flaming attacks again.