PDA

View Full Version : terror

slaanghoul
30-09-2010, 14:04
so terror only effect when they are charging a unit or if a unit wish to charge it and thats that? No more 6" test if terror with in that range? do I have this right?

Sorry for so many questions...I will post many more...8ed changed so many old rules from "classic" WH rules since 10-15 years ago. I'm and old timer and some rules are just so off the wall compare to the old rules.

Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also, sometime I think a new player who read the rules have a better understanding of the game than the old players because we are so used to some of the "classic" rules.

Thanks

narrativium
30-09-2010, 14:14
Terror only does what the new rulebook says it does, yeah. And without mine to hand, I'm pretty sure it's not both of charging and being charged.

SiNNiX
30-09-2010, 14:27
so terror only effect when they are charging a unit or if a unit wish to charge it and thats that? No more 6" test if terror with in that range? do I have this right?

Units only take Terror Tests when being charged by a unit that causes Terror, and do not have to test for charging a unit that causes Terror. No more 6" tests. In 8th, with BSB's and the changes to the rules themselves, Terror is alot less affected and sought after.

Ney
30-09-2010, 14:51
Also remember that the test you take when being charged by a terror-causer is now a panic test.

SiNNiX
30-09-2010, 15:03
Also remember that the test you take when being charged by a terror-causer is now a panic test.

Yeah, that too. I still can't stop using the term "Terror Test." :rolleyes:

a18no
30-09-2010, 15:05
One point: no more than one panic test per phase. So no terror bomb strategy (many charge from many terroy causer to force multi test won't work)

SiNNiX
30-09-2010, 15:18
One point: no more than one panic test per phase. So no terror bomb strategy (many charge from many terroy causer to force multi test won't work)

Fixed. Still funny, though. :)

ColShaw
30-09-2010, 15:55
Terror bomb was silly anyway. And I'm saying this as a guy who won a game with it back in early 7th, using Khorne Daemons (Storm of Chaos list) with an Exalted Daemon and Bloodthirster. I didn't actually inflict a single casualty on the enemy (Empire). They just failed Terror tests and then chain-panicked about 2/3 of the army right off the battlefield on Turn 3. My opponent conceded.

Still the weirdest game of WFB I think I've played. I'm glad the Terror radius is gone.

a18no
30-09-2010, 16:18
Panic rule is now really interesting:

A spell that cause 25% casualty on a unit, that unit must make the test right away. Failed and flee through another unit. The second unit must make a panic test and succeed. Now the mage cast a spell on the second unit and cause 25% casualty, no panic test!

I think that it cover magical panic test too... but i have to re-read it again. Let say a Slaughtermaster and a butcher. The butcher cast the spell that force panic test on a warrior unit, they missed it and flee through a knight unit. Then the slaughtmaster can cast at the knight, or the spell will have no effect... I think it got no effect, but don't have my book here.

SiNNiX
30-09-2010, 16:35
Panic rule is now really interesting:

A spell that cause 25% casualty on a unit, that unit must make the test right away. Failed and flee through another unit. The second unit must make a panic test and succeed. Now the mage cast a spell on the second unit and cause 25% casualty, no panic test!

I think that it cover magical panic test too... but i have to re-read it again. Let say a Slaughtermaster and a butcher. The butcher cast the spell that force panic test on a warrior unit, they missed it and flee through a knight unit. Then the slaughtmaster can cast at the knight, or the spell will have no effect... I think it got no effect, but don't have my book here.

One Panic Test per phase.

Greyfire
30-09-2010, 16:36
One point: Each unit will have no more than one panic test per phase. So no terror bomb strategy (many charge from many terroy causer to force multi test won't work)
Had to fix one more thing. :)

Now that a unit can no longer avoid taking additional terror tests per game it seems like terror is better. Two tests in one charge is gone, but now you have to test on turn 2 for that charge, and turn 3 from another charge, and so on. That plus the need to take a fear check at the start of each round of combat seems to make terror/fear better. But maybe I'm reading something wrong?

SiNNiX
30-09-2010, 16:45
Had to fix one more thing. :)

Now that a unit can no longer avoid taking additional terror tests per game it seems like terror is better. Two tests in one charge is gone, but now you have to test on turn 2 for that charge, and turn 3 from another charge, and so on. That plus the need to take a fear check at the start of each round of combat seems to make terror/fear better. But maybe I'm reading something wrong?

No, you're reading it correctly. And although you bring a good point about having to test every turn, I have just found that with Leadership and BSB as effective as they are in 8th, this makes Terror a little less effective.

T10
30-09-2010, 23:21
Please note that the moderators have been known to frown upon FIXED! quotes.

-T10

toasty
27-03-2011, 20:26
So at the start of the game I can declare a charge I know is going to fail but still force the target unit to take a panic test?

Korraz
27-03-2011, 20:33
You can only declare possible charges.

narrativium
27-03-2011, 20:34
You can't declare a charge which can't succeed but you could declare a charge which would require a double-6 to succeed. It's up to you on whether this is the best use of your terror-causer though; there's a lot of good Leadership values out there and BSBs just made them even better.

ariochhelldrake
27-03-2011, 20:53
Terror is just a panic test in the unit you are charging providing there not immune for any reason.
But yeah suppose any charge in potentially viable at your move plus 12 for 2 sixes, saying they panic you could then pass a leadership test to redirect causing a further panic test!

H33D
28-03-2011, 06:47

If a unit fails its panic test it automatically flees and you could redirect if you like and cause a second unit to flee if it fails its test as well. That is about as much bombing as you could do really.

tmarichards
28-03-2011, 08:08
I do like the change in Terror rules, especially the no more auto-breaking from fear. That was, without doubt, my most hated rule in the whole of 7th. The fear and terror rules are still good, but just not as game-breakingly awesome as they used to be (I used to use a dragon a lot of 7th).

The real problem with them now, IMO, is that the armies like VC that were costed for the 7th edition fear and terror rules are now paying points for a special rule that doesn't reward them as much as it used to.

Gazak Blacktoof
28-03-2011, 09:27
VC are still functional on the tale top. They had a lot more going for them than fear/ teror.

tmarichards
28-03-2011, 09:47
Agreed, they're still in the top 6. My point was more that one aspect of their costing was the fear and terror rules from 7th, which are now different leading to the slight imbalance in the cost of, say, skeletons.