PDA

View Full Version : The Great Bretonnian Challenge! (Round 2)

Malorian
30-09-2010, 17:12
Last year I decided to finally get rid of my useless Bretonnian peasants who had been collecting dust, and Once Bitten completed the challenge I put out so I had them sent his way.

Now, after making a trade for a bunch of knights, I had some more silly peasants thrown on my lap as well, so time for...

The Great Bretonnian Challenge! Round 2!

This time the challenge is open to Once Bitten, Awilla the Hun, and really any other Bretonnian player who has gone crazy enough to think they want lowly peasants in their army.

The Challenge:

Using Bretonnians (obviously) win a game of at least 2500 points in which you have no trebucket and no magic, and then put together a battle report that at least has pictures for each turn.

First person to post the report will have the men at arms and archers mailed to them free fo charge.

GO!!! :D

Once Bitten
30-09-2010, 20:28
Are you talking about an all-peasant army with no trebuchet or magic - or can my list have knights?

Malorian
30-09-2010, 20:29
It can have anything except for treb and magic.

(I thought that was limiting enough ;))

Once Bitten
30-09-2010, 21:13
Yes - definitely limiting enough. I assume I can have magic items, just no spell casters.

Malorian
30-09-2010, 21:54
Yes - definitely limiting enough. I assume I can have magic items, just no spell casters.

Correct :)

russellmoo
01-10-2010, 19:33
What about the wizard's hat?

Malorian
01-10-2010, 20:05
No spells, no matter where it's from.

goodz
01-10-2010, 23:33
LOL i am borrowing my friends bretonians today it seems!

I have not used them in 8th, but i would like to see how they do.

If I tell anyone i am playing with that i am using magic they probably won't use any themselves, so i best make sure that they do to insure the spirit of the competition.

I predict right now a massacre in favor of the WoC/Highelves/Vampire Counts that i will be facing, but my wood elves don't do much better in large games anyway:)

goodz
02-10-2010, 00:17
Hmm I have not used bretonian in 8th, and hardly in 7th but here is my list (perhaps could use some advice but will only see it if its within half an hour)

The Green Knight - 275 (i know my friends army is like 1/2 painted and this is the coolest looking model in it)

Horse Lord - 262 (he is going to going to hopefully go kill the wizard
Ogre Blade, Dawn stone, Virtue of the Impetuous knight, Grail Vow

Paladin - 168
Royal pegasus, Wyrmlance, Opal Amulet

Paladin - Talisman of preservation, BSB - 119

824 in characters, would like less but not sure i have enough models to get to 2500 otherwise:(

Core:
Knights of the realm x 11 - Banner of chalons, full command, 288

Knights of the realm x 12 - Banner of eternal flame, full command, 298

Knights of the real x 12 - Full command, Twighlight banner, 313

20x peasent bow men, braziers, musician - 130

Special:
175 - 3x pegasus knights with musician

Rare:
8 Grail knights - Bannder of defence, full command - 364

Any advise on what to do with last 108 points, my gut says tebuchet but clearly that is not allowed :!

I would like to see the "all peasent army" But i would have to proxy in a lot of goblins.. boooo

EldarBishop
02-10-2010, 00:52
Hmm.. I could use some peasants... lets see if I can come up with a) a list, b) an opponent, and c) time for an actual game.

goodz
02-10-2010, 01:17
the guy i was going to play today backed out, maybe another time but will be at least a week before i can play:)

Malorian
02-10-2010, 05:10
Looks like we have a real race on our hands :D

Awilla the Hun
02-10-2010, 10:23
I have a somewhat unfair disadvantage; my peasants aren't here with me at Nottingham University.

But sounds interesting; can I use counts as, Comrade?

Malorian
02-10-2010, 13:48
Sorry, but lets stay with actual models.

Trains_Get_Robbed
03-10-2010, 06:34
Do they have to be painted? And do you post the list on here? Cause I can video tape, write up fluff, etc. . . and do so all by tomorrow. :D

Once Bitten
03-10-2010, 16:26
OK, here it is against Warriors of Chaos:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjeIF2_m6os
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK4BFHxEci8

Once Bitten
03-10-2010, 16:33
I guess I should also post my thoughts on this list.

I actually played 3 games with it yesterday, yielding 2 wins and a draw. My first game was against Dark Elves with 3 spell casters. I about crapped my pants when he deployed them. However, I shot one mage to death fairly early in the game, another blew herself up, and the third one never did much (and got killed in combat on the last turn). The game ended up as a draw - primarily because I didn't play that well, and the scenario/terrain was a big issue for me. (That game will be the next one I post, so keep an eye out for it if you want more details.) Anyway, I was really surprised that I wasn't hurt worse with magic. My 2nd and 3rd games were against relatively light magic, so it wasn't a huge deal - but the Vampires - even with low magic - were a real nuisance. I BARELY won the game (by 125 points), but I think I would've beaten him soundly if I had just a little bit of magic defense.

I was also surprised that I didn't miss my trebuchets that much. I just had SO many units and was able to get in combats so quickly - even with peasants - that it wasn't a huge deal. My biggest concern was when my opponent had a unit for which I had no answer. For instance, a VC lord on a zombie dragon. I wish I had a couple trebuchets with which to threaten him (or, at least, my monster-killing lord, which I didn't bring). Nevertheless, I almost had a solution for him despite no war machines, but had an awful couple of dice rolls.

Anyway, thanks for the challenge. I love an excuse to try out new lists, and this one opened my eyes to some new possibilities. By the way, I would have taken more knights, but I didn't have the models.

kaubin
03-10-2010, 18:13
Awesome battle report! Seeing that painted army really makes me want to play bretonnians :p I really liked your opponent`s slaanesh marauders too, they were hilarious!

Malorian
03-10-2010, 20:07
Great stuff Once Bitten :D

Things were looking so bad there for a while that I didn't give you much of a chance, and yet since it was posted here I knew that you must had found a way, and like you said that insane courage and some great ward saves were just what you needed.

Please PM me your address (I didn't keep it from last time) and I'll send those peasants your way :)

Boss_Salvage
03-10-2010, 21:35
Great report, quite the smashy battle. On the jugger general, I just checked the 'Make Way!' rules and it seems to me that he should have been able to move in and fight, without being stranded like that on the end. If he were on a 40x40 it would be different, but 50x50 technically doesn't "interfere" with the knight "footprint" ...

All the same, well fought, the Lady was definitely with ya :D

Oh, and nice looking army too, Brets in full livery are always great to see.

- Salvage

Malorian
03-10-2010, 23:51
Juggernuaghts fit within the unit because they are the size of 2 cav bases.

Because of this they do no need to be on the ends (like orcs in goblin units) and can use Make Way to get into combat (although they don't get look out sir).

Then again, a person who converts a unit to be a bunch of drag queens most likely is more focused on the model aspect of the game rather than the rules ;)

Boss_Salvage
04-10-2010, 02:13
Exactly what I was saying - the jugger could have easily come over and flailed at the knights ... at which point Once would no doubt nab even more lucky wards ;)

High five to that guy on taking slaanesh and nurgle troops, happy to see something that isn't wearing blue or red chaos armor :P

- Salvage

Once Bitten
06-10-2010, 03:20
For those of you who do not follow my normal thread, here is another game w/ Malorian's challenge list:

Dark Elves
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIS26HjG2j0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZKs4jLStw