PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Vampire Counts

supemc
01-10-2010, 01:37
Hello all!

So, I'm an experienced 40k player looking to jump into fantasy. I really like the fluff behind the Vampire Counts. However, they appear to be a hoard army, which I'm not to interested in getting into. Are there ways to play them as heavy hitter without having masses of lesser undead being the backbone of the army?

For my second choice I've been leaning towards the Beastmen, which seems like a better choice for my play style... but like I said, I REALLY like the Vampire Counts fluff.

Anyone care to share there thoughts?

Eks Bocks
01-10-2010, 01:48
This topic doesn't belong in this area of the forum as this is a news and rumour area for WHFB.

You should always play the army that first catches your attention.

supemc
01-10-2010, 02:02
My bad. Could a mod transfer this to the proper area?

Synnister
01-10-2010, 02:43
Get em both then play them and see which one you like better. That's what I do.

AlphariusOmegon20
01-10-2010, 04:40
Both are horde armies in some form or another.

Synnister
01-10-2010, 04:43
Aren't all armies horde armies in this edition?

Darnok
01-10-2010, 07:00
Thread moved to WHF General.

On topic: if you like the background and the models, go for Vampire Counts. Those two things are very important. However, due to army selection restrictions, you are forced to have a certain amount of "horde" units. You could get your minimum units by using armoured skeletons, which would stress the elite status of your theme - and then fill the rest with Blood Knights, Grave Guard and Black Knights. If you like the idea, just go for a Blood Knight theme, using the GG and BK unit entries as placeholders for Blood Knights on foot and "knights in training", meaning the equivalent of Knights of the Realm in a vampire setting.

There are some nice options for this idea, play a bit with ideas before making a choice.

NecroNurgle
01-10-2010, 07:33
I don't think skeletons are worth it anymore. Ghouls are a better choice for now. You can get away with running just a couple of units and still have it be effective.

ChaosVC
01-10-2010, 08:44
You should consider empire, its can be a non horde army easily. Just spam stanks and warmachines, 40k all over again WHoooHoo!!!

AussieSocks
01-10-2010, 08:46
Hardly.

Ghouls and Skeletons are too expensive to form a horde role.

The army boils down to Rare choices and Grave Guard at the moment, forming a more reliable "Heavy Hitter" list than WoC, due to the undead rule, regen banner and Invo stuff.

Just put your zombies on the flanks and GG/ Blood Knights in the middle. Sprinkle cairn wraiths and viola, you have a win list.

Btw, Vampires require one of the biggest character investments in the game, combined with expensive troops, it's quite difficult to make a VC horde nowadays.

AussieSocks
01-10-2010, 08:48
Pffft. 40k players love Lizardmen.

Big monsters, skirmishers and the ability to bomb the crap out of you while you hide in a forest.....

Kevlar
01-10-2010, 09:24
Hardly.

Ghouls and Skeletons are too expensive to form a horde role.

The army boils down to Rare choices and Grave Guard at the moment, forming a more reliable "Heavy Hitter" list than WoC, due to the undead rule, regen banner and Invo stuff.

After being torn a new poop chute repeatedly by units of 40+ ghouls in horde formation I will respectfully have to disagree. Ghouls have more 'normal' stats, they don't have crap stats like skellies and zombies. Poison is devastating to low armor stuff, especially big expensive monsters.

The only place ghouls get hurt as core is the breaking point scenario, which seems poorly thought out anyway.

wizbix
01-10-2010, 10:01
Whats not to like about a horde of Zombies or even Skeletons? Bruce Campbell eat your heart out!

taffeh
01-10-2010, 13:05
You should always play the army that first catches your attention.

Best advice, EVER.... most sensible said on this forum EVER!

Seriously, When I came back to the hobby 3 years ago after a 10 yr gap I had my eyes on Vostroyans for 40k - but due to trying to re-kindle the Dark Angels flame went for this [easier, cheaper] option. 18mnths-2 years on, I find myself with a Vostroyan Army and almost sold all Dark Angels... 10 yrs ago I had different tastes and it's cost me a bit learning this....

Same goes for Fantasy - I picked up Vampires as my 7th Ed (having 5th Ed previously), finished an army, moved to another one, collected, played, got bored, sold, collected another, got bored, sold... Come back to Vampires for the sake of loving the fluff, models and the fact I like painting them...

Boom, 2 armies, Vamps and Vostroyans: Why? Cause they both start with V? no - Because they both generally have Russian Accents? no - but cause the models make me go mmmmm, and I can actually sit there n paint them loving each brushstroke....

supemc
01-10-2010, 19:54
Ghouls, eh? Wouldn't a person just be spamming a lot of ghouls as opposed to Skellies? They are the same points cost. Or am I missing something here?

Tae
01-10-2010, 21:14
I wouldn't say they are to be 'spammed', you could easily get away with 2 units off 25 Skeletons at 2,000 points (WFB's standard size), which is hardly spammed.

Hell, Skeletons and Ghouls are both more expensive than Dark Elf spearmen!

Maoriboy007
02-10-2010, 06:28
Ghouls are the better choice for your core choice, skeletons and Zombies are overpriced and crap in the bargain.
If you're looking for an elite army then you can focus the rest of your points on Bloodknights and Grave Guard.