PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Clanrats w/Shields & HW or Spears & Shields?

Malakai
01-10-2010, 10:12
I know this has been talked a lot, but I thought it would be interesting to do a poll on the matter and see where the Warseer community really stands.

With the IoB mixing in HW & shield as well as spears & shields for the Skaven models it really makes you decide from the get-go what kind of army you want. Now I haven't played 8th, only one game of 7th and Skaven are completely foreign to me. They are brand new. Before this week my knowledge of them was that I was beaten badly in 5th edition once by some rat character assasin named Snitch or something and they like green chaos rock called warpstone. Really, I'm not exaggerating.

So while it's fun after all of these years diving into an army that is completely new and fresh I also feel a little out of my depth. I don't want to ake a mistake laying out the composition for my army from the beginning.

I have the IoB and I suppose I could order some Skaven arms off of Ebay, but I'd really rather not do that. The modeler/painter in me would love to have a 40/50 strong unit of both.

Still I would like to win some games too. My main opponent will be the hated T4 killing machine Dwarfs.

So you have ward saves and hopefully overwhelming them with combat resolution with the hand weapon combo, and then you have extra rank of spears trying to get the odd kill in with the high WS, T, & SV. My Mathhammer-fu is weak so I'm not exactly sure which is the best. And I'm not sure if there is other rules that an old newbie like me isn't taking into consideration. So can you guys help me out?

How should I arm my Clan Rats?!

scarvet
01-10-2010, 10:36
I think it is somewhere in the 7th ed Skaven tactica; for the points spent on spear for Clanrats you may as well get slings for slaves.

Malorian
01-10-2010, 13:53
Those points saved can mean an extra weapon team, and really these guys are there to survive and you do that better with a 6+ ward.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
01-10-2010, 14:03
Those points saved can mean an extra weapon team, and really these guys are there to survive and you do that better with a 6+ ward.

My thoughts entirely. What I will probably do is use my IoB spear clanrats as the back ranks of hand weapon/shield units. Should look quite nice.