PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Dwarf infantry army. Advice please

BigRob
01-10-2010, 11:33
I havn't played properly since early 6th edition and currently have no miniatures. I am looking for a new army and dwarves are ticking to boxes at the moment, so without further waffle,

Lord on shieldbearers: GW MR of Kragg the Grim + Rune of Fury + Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Preservation MR of Spite

Thane: BSB 3xRune of Sancturary
Runesmith: GW Rune of Spellbreaking, Master Rune of Balance
Runesmith: GW Master Rune of Spellbinding, Rune of Spellbreaking

20 Warriors: GW + FC
20 Warriors: GW + FC
20 Warrior Long Beards: GW + FC Ancestor Rune
20 Warrior Long Beards: GW + FC Rune of Sanctuary
10 Thunders:
10 Thunders:
10 Quarrelers:
10 Quarrelers:
20 Miners: FC

1 Cannon: Rune of Forging
1 Cannon: Rune of Forging, Rune of Reloading
1 Grudge Thrower: E Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating
1 Organ Gun

From my mates borrowed dwarf book I make this as just below the 3000pt mark. It might look a bit odd, but my main conditions are as much plastic as possible, big infantry blocks and a budget of 200ish. I hate metal models! They make me sad :cries:

Apart from the rune combos (which are probably pants, i'm just guessing at this point) is it any good for gaming. I am not a very tactical player, I usually end up loosing if I try and be clever so I was going for a classic Castle force with a big wall of infantry, a keep of warmachines to bring pain and the miners are in the mix to cause grief for the opponent. Organ gun will anchor a flank while the Long Beards form the main line.

Do I have too much anti magic? I'm very aware that magic is dominating the new edition.

Advice very welcome from anyone :)

Shizzbam
01-10-2010, 12:50
Currently looking at doing the same thing. However the received wisdom at the moment seems to be drop thunderers and take more quarrellers to be armed great weapons to give you another infantry unit to play with once the enemy gets in your face.
All those units are very useful and core to the army, you can't go wrong really. Other than the thunderers your army seems much the same as the one I'd planned. Are you building from battalion boxes too? ;)

ramongoroth
01-10-2010, 12:56
You might be better off making one 40 stong horde unit of warriors instead of two groups of 20. A unit of 20 in 5x4 ranks is a bit small, especially in 8th and at this point level. It doesn't maximize your frontage for a unit that you want chopping as much as possible. For gw troops I'd suggest 7x4 (28+) or 10x4 (40). The only melee unit I'd want 5 wide is hand weapon & shield anvil units to make them as deep as possible.

I'd also suggest finding 5 points to add the rune of burning on at least one cannon. It makes hydras and varghulfs cry when you take away their regeneration.

I'd probably want another grudge thrower for 3000 points (if you have another model). I'd drop one of the thunderer units for it. They're expensive for those dwarf hand guns. I prefer quarellers with GW for thier increased range and melee punch.

Lastly if you are a bit creative with painting you can take those dwarf warrior plastic kits and turn them into hammerers & ironbreakers. The hammerers can either just be painted a bit differently or you can do a little converting to make the gw axes hammers (not a hard thing just takes time). For Ironbreakers I'd just take all the little visors you get from the sprue and put them on all the hw/s shield guys, paint them so their armor looks appropriate for gromril.

BigRob
01-10-2010, 14:23
. Are you building from battalion boxes too? ;)

I am indeed, two of them at the moment although I am tempted to make it 3 after the advice from thos thread already. Quarrellers with GW did cross my mind and I was originally going to take a big block of rangers before the points trimming began. Originally I intended another grudge thrower too.

Are Ironbreakers worth it, I understand HW/Shield has taken a hit in this edition and since dwarves will be striking last anyway and getting all the attacks, the GW power seemed to win out. Hammerers might be fun since I am taking the king, I did wonder about warhammer heads on greatweapon shafts if you get enough warhammer type things in the hand weapons in the warrior box (obviously I will have plenty of warrior sprues!).

ramongoroth
01-10-2010, 17:04
I mentioned iron breakers as an example that you don't necessarily have to buy metals. They're a good but pricey anvil unit if you make use of the royal blood rule. However a dwarf lord itself is not really a necessity and neither are ironbreakers. It is something to think about just for varieties sake since there aren't that many options in the dwarf book.

As for hammerers there aren't a lot of hammer heads on the warrior sprue and some are single handed so aren't exactly large enough. I would probaby use some combo of plastic cut from sprure frames filed down & a bit of green stuff to do them. Again it's a bit of work but much cheaper than buying 20+ metal dwarves. Some even choose to ignore the hammer bit as the actual description in the army book lists great weapons and while logic says that those gw are in fact hammers raw doesn't specify hammers over another type of GW. You can write a bit of fluff that your particular band of dwarves use axes instead.