PDA

View Full Version : Empire BSB and magic shield

SilasOfTheLambs
01-10-2010, 14:27
Empire book, p. 75: BSB's "may not take any non-magical equipment except for Light, heavy, or full plate armor and/or barding for his steed. He may use a magic standard (no points limit), but if he does, he may not use any other magic item."

My BSB does not have a magic standard.

And, BRB p 502: "A magical shield is treated as a normal shield..."

On the basis of these rulesets, my entry for a tournament in November was rejected on the basis that my empire BSB is forbidden by rule by carrying a charmed shield. I think this is a radical misreading of the rule, since it universalizes what the prohibition on "non-magical" items specifically restricts. What do y'all think?

eyescrossed
01-10-2010, 15:06
I thought ALL of those things were removed by the Errattas.

SilasOfTheLambs
01-10-2010, 15:14
That's a negative. Nothing in the FAQ of either the empire or the BRB, unless I missed it.

theunwantedbeing
01-10-2010, 15:16
The errata's havent changed that, which is strange as you'de expect them to do something like that really.
None of the armies that are disallowed most mundane equiptment(or mounts) have had that errata'd into line with the newer armies that aren't subject to those restrictions.

At least it's only 5pts to drop so doesn't make a massive difference within your army.

a18no
01-10-2010, 15:16
Empire book, p. 75: BSB's "may not take any non-magical equipment except for Light, heavy, or full plate armor and/or barding for his steed. He may use a magic standard (no points limit), but if he does, he may not use any other magic item."

My BSB does not have a magic standard.

And, BRB p 502: "A magical shield is treated as a normal shield..."

On the basis of these rulesets, my entry for a tournament in November was rejected on the basis that my empire BSB is forbidden by rule by carrying a charmed shield. I think this is a radical misreading of the rule, since it universalizes what the prohibition on "non-magical" items specifically restricts. What do y'all think?

Restriction on magical armor is gone since 8th. Except for mage, ANY character can take magical armor EVEN if they don't normally can do so.

Mage has to have a mundane armor in the army roster to take magical armor, but an empire BSB is not a mage so could take any magical armor he want including shield, helmet, heavy armor, light armor, etc. providing he does not take the mundane part too (can't wear 2 heavy armor :p)

Hope that help

Chipacabra
01-10-2010, 19:41
There's nothing preventing an empire BSB from taking a magical shield, so long as he does not have a magical banner.

While he doesn't have the option to purchase a mundane shield, there's nothing outright forbidding him from having one.

R-Love
01-10-2010, 21:39
The errata's havent changed that, which is strange as you'de expect them to do something like that really.
None of the armies that are disallowed most mundane equiptment(or mounts) have had that errata'd into line with the newer armies that aren't subject to those restrictions.

Ogres did, which only makes it more confusing.

Lord Inquisitor
01-10-2010, 22:17
Yeah, the Empire errata didn't make the obvious changes to the BSB, but did entirely rework (and generally unbalance) the Steam Tank when it worked perfectly okay before. Search me.

But yeah, the old "must have option for a mundane shield" clause doesn't exist in 8th, so you're free to give him a magic shield.

Atrahasis
02-10-2010, 07:02
As the others have said, there's no restriction on taking magical armours or shields any more except for wizards.

My Empire BSB runs with the enchanted shield.

kroq'gar
02-10-2010, 07:15
They did away with the nonsense..

and warrior priests can wear magical full plate armour (same problem as the bsb)

Lord Inquisitor
02-10-2010, 14:15
As the others have said, there's no restriction on taking magical armours or shields any more except for wizards.

Well there's still a clause that you have to have armour or armour options to buy magic armour.

Atrahasis
02-10-2010, 17:19
Only for wizards.