PDA

View Full Version : Lore of beasts question

Wildcard
01-10-2010, 19:35
Does the lore of beasts spell which makes all terrain dangerous work on open ground. The rulebook does define it as the most common type of terrain but it seems very strong if it works this way

theorox
01-10-2010, 19:41
Does the lore of beasts spell which makes all terrain dangerous work on open ground. The rulebook does define it as the most common type of terrain but it seems very strong if it works this way

I assumed yes, isn't that obvious? :confused:

Otherwise it would be...well, you would switch it out.

Theo

NixonAsADaemonPrince
01-10-2010, 19:49
I think it only means actual terrain, like woods and things, as they wouldn't normally cause dangerous terrain tests, so failing on a 1 or 2 is still a big ramp up.

Yrrdead
01-10-2010, 22:34
This is yet another time where you are going to have to reach some decision with your opponent(s). Or in a tournament clear it up with the TO.

I agree with NAADP though that the intent of the spell is only in regard to all terrain except impassable terrain and open ground.

Another interesting question about Curse of Anraheir is the following.

Once successfully cast when does the dangerous terrain effect cease? :p

Synnister
01-10-2010, 23:35
I have to disagree. It says all terrain and open ground is a type of terrain. Very clear wording there. Also, what would be the point of taking it if it didn't affect open terrain? The spell would be very lackluster if it only affected terrain pieces.

Teongpeng
02-10-2010, 01:44
I have to disagree. It says all terrain and open ground is a type of terrain. Very clear wording there. Also, what would be the point of taking it if it didn't affect open terrain? The spell would be very lackluster if it only affected terrain pieces.-1 to Hit isnt lackluster. jamming that large infantry block hiding in the forest waiting to charge isnt lackluster.

Synnister
02-10-2010, 02:26
no man, I'm not saying that terrain is lackluster. Having the spell only affect terrain pieces is lackluster. Jamming up that large infantry block in the open now that's worth the casting dice.

Yrrdead
02-10-2010, 03:18
no man, I'm not saying that terrain is lackluster. Having the spell only affect terrain pieces is lackluster. Jamming up that large infantry block in the open now that's worth the casting dice.

I don't disagree that the spell as currently written works like you say it does.

But based on the casting cost it does more than it should (in my opinion). It is a 36" range hex that casts on a 10+. That is a 2 dice spell that in its current incarnation is more powerful (potentially) than anything else in that casting range and spell type.

Of course that is entirely subjective and not really a "rules" argument per say.

Again does it appear to anyone else that as written. The terrain portion once cast doesn't end? Or does "In addition" effectively couple the second effect with the duration laid out in the first effect?

SiNNiX
02-10-2010, 03:29
I believe it's only "pieces" of terrain, as if it included open ground, it would probably say "takes a Dangerous Terrain test any time the unit moves" or something to that effect.

Lord Inquisitor
02-10-2010, 03:54
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I ... think ... the spell means actual terrain features ignoring open terrain. The interpretation that open terrain is terrain causes lots of problems (e.g. suicidal goblin fanatics), typically one assumes that "terrain" means an actual terrain feature. SiNNiX has a point that if it meant open terrain it would probably have said that or worded it less ambigiously.

On the other hand, 8th clearly defines open terrain as terrain, and for example the text for mounted warriors is that they "treat all terrain other than open ground as being dangerous terrain."

So yeah, by RAW all terrain, but suspicion that RAI may be just terrain features.

SiNNiX
02-10-2010, 18:42
Yeah, forgot to mention that: RAW definitely forces us to include open terrain. If you're strictly a RAW kinda guy, go for it. I seriously doubt it was intentional though.

But honestly, if someone made me take Dangerous Terrain tests when moving over open terrain, and used RAW as their argument, I wouldn't argue. Not that big of a deal, and the last part of LI's post makes sense as well. :confused:

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2010, 18:48
Considering that you only take the test for
Marching, Fleeing, Persuing, Charging and Overrunning
it's not that bad a spell really.

What it basically does is force the unit to tread very carefully.

It also doesn't mean that Fanatics auto-die as the rule is not as many mis-recall to be "they die when they hit terrain" but "they die when they hit a terain feature".
Which means on open terrain they are fine, but upon encountering a building, wood, hedge or whatever then they will die.

So it's not really that bad if we allow everything to be classed as dangerous terrain.

SiNNiX
02-10-2010, 18:52
Considering that you only take the test for
Marching, Fleeing, Persuing, Charging and Overrunning
it's not that bad a spell really.

What it basically does is force the unit to tread very carefully.

It also doesn't mean that Fanatics auto-die as the rule is not as many mis-recall to be "they die when they hit terrain" but "they die when they hit a terain feature".
Which means on open terrain they are fine, but upon encountering a building, wood, hedge or whatever then they will die.

So it's not really that bad if we allow everything to be classed as dangerous terrain.

Exactly. Even if we take the spell as it is literally translated (which would include taking DT's on open terrain), it's still not over-powered for its casting value.

eyescrossed
02-10-2010, 19:41
It's rather lacklustre without the Open Terrain part anyway :p

SiNNiX
02-10-2010, 20:20
It's rather lacklustre without the Open Terrain part anyway :p

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's not that great without the open terrain part at all. Okay, it was probably intended then; hehe.

Lord Inquisitor
02-10-2010, 20:26
Well, damn, I didn't realize you could move through dangerous terrain without damage. I played it wrong the other day.

decker_cky
02-10-2010, 20:45
Are we really going to bring casting cost into this? Comparing Pann's Impenetrable Pelt to Flesh to Stone shows me that a lot of the casting costs were given a pie in the sky pricing method.

SiNNiX
02-10-2010, 20:48
Are we really going to bring casting cost into this? Comparing Pann's Impenetrable Pelt to Flesh to Stone shows me that a lot of the casting costs were given a pie in the sky pricing method.

The casting cost isn't the reasoning behind our logic, it simply supports it, albeit not by much. The proof is in the wording throughout the BRB.

Lord Inquisitor
02-10-2010, 21:40
Ooooh, that means that chariots actually can move through terrain entirely without risk now, then, only if they charge, flee/pursue through terrain that's an issue. Will have to remember.

SiNNiX
02-10-2010, 21:57
Ooooh, that means that chariots actually can move through terrain entirely without risk now, then, only if they charge, flee/pursue through terrain that's an issue. Will have to remember.

Oh that's just evil.

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2010, 21:59

Yeah sneak attack :D

Gotta love the new terrain rules. Well some of them anyway....

The most hailarious bit is it can vault walls.

Chris_
02-10-2010, 23:38
Ooooh, that means that chariots actually can move through terrain entirely without risk now, then, only if they charge, flee/pursue through terrain that's an issue. Will have to remember.Yeah, they also take d6 wounds if they fail a dangerous terrain check, ouch :( So I still am not really keen to move my unit of chariots through anything except open terrain.

decker_cky
03-10-2010, 00:30
I've had one chariot explode through terrain, but that's aggressively charging through terrain without care. Small risk, but it also means you actually stand a chance of breaking smaller ranked units because of no steadfast. I had a razorgor chariot take out a decent unit of ogres in woods because I had a decent charge, broke them and ran them down.

Charging chariots through woods used to be suicide. Now it's a minor gamble.