PDA

View Full Version : New armies you'd like to see

theorox
01-10-2010, 20:38
Hi guys, Here's a thread to post some wishlisting about armies you'd like to see in the game (As playable armies.)

My top 3 list:

1. Chaos Dwarfs (An official armybook. They seem so cool...)
2. Mercenaries (Dogs of War, Tilean/Estalians, a mix...whatever! Like the T&G army?)
3. Cathay (Possibly with animated clay armies, or at least have a mix of those and regular soldiers.)

Theo

bluemage
01-10-2010, 21:42
Well Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War would be at the top as those armies existed in 7th and I'd like them to return.

After that I'd like to see some of the other dead armies return. Fimir, Halflings, Zoats.

For a new armies, the one I'd most like to see would be Araby. The army seems really cool and the Warmaster version of the army has some cool miniatures. Just a shame it hasn't been created.

I know a lot of people would like to see Id, Cathay, or Nippon. If they were done right and not as a shrine to how much better eastern culture is, they might be interesting.

Halelel
01-10-2010, 23:01
1) Halflings

2) Chaos Halflings

:p

xxRavenxx
01-10-2010, 23:17
1) Halflings.

2) Pigmys.

3) An army of poland syndrome afflicted nurgle followers, with vestgial Jeremy Beadle arms...

BorderKing
01-10-2010, 23:38
1) An empire army list that had everything from the 4th/5th edition army book with a mix of DOW
2)Mercenary army list preferably done by FW with a cool grimdark pirate theme for some core otions
3)An all animal army list, led by sentiant animals Piggolo the 3rd etc. It should be done with a cool cross between surreal, animal farm and humour. Flying pigs that have similar rules to pegasus knights etc

ftayl5
02-10-2010, 00:34
Let me think... Fishmen.

draccan
02-10-2010, 01:20
Norse, Araby and Cathay

Runners ups: Halflings, Snotlings ("because we could")

Moopy
02-10-2010, 01:57
Araby would be cool because they already have interesting looking warmaster models.

honorandglory
02-10-2010, 02:23
Samurai!!!!!!

Rockgut
02-10-2010, 02:38
Monkeymen. Not enough monkeys in Warhammer.

Gliderrider
02-10-2010, 02:39
Dogs of war. big giant turds.

Lord Malorne
02-10-2010, 03:00
Fishmen, not as a joke, I would actually like to see them done, with crabs.
Chaos dwarfs, an actual GW chaos dwarf army and book, none of this resin stuff.

Ivellis
02-10-2010, 03:01
Araby, Cathay and Fishmen!

Lord of Divine Slaughter
02-10-2010, 03:07
Primarily Dogs of War/Tilea/Estalia.

And then it would be awesome with an Armies of Araby, to recreate alll those knights panther and bret crusades against those evil heathens - and their gold ;)

I'd hate to see an east asian army. They really wouldn't fit in :)

IGoblinego
02-10-2010, 15:40
Giant apes fire lazers from their eyes and crap thunders

also rune magic.

Robotlord
02-10-2010, 17:03
I would like to see Deamons of the Empire

Proctorkorps
02-10-2010, 17:26
i don't want to see an all merc army, but i WOULD like to see a book about said mercs so they could go into existing books/armies. all except DE, O&G, DoC, LM, skaven, vamps, WE... basically anyone who isn't empire, bret, HE or dwarf.

theorox
02-10-2010, 17:32
My 4th/5th choices would be Araby and Fishmen. Actually, i changed my mind. Those two on 3rd and 4th, and move Cathay to nr.5. :)

Theo

Shadow_Steed
03-10-2010, 00:16
Dogs of war! After that Chaos dwarves. No damn fishmen.

mweaver
03-10-2010, 05:00
Araby, then Dogs of War. Then probably Kislev.

vinny t
03-10-2010, 05:08
Araby would be awesome

Grimskarr
03-10-2010, 05:38
Araby and Chaos Dwarfs.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
03-10-2010, 06:37
I'd like a return of character units such as Mengil's Manflayers, Long Drong's Slayers, Tichi Huichi's Skink Raiders, Ruglud's Armored Orcs, Bertrand the Brigand and his merry men (name escapes me), and more.

As far as armies go (which is what the thread is on), I'd like to see Dogs of War come back as a Lordlings of the Old World army, with only 1 or 2 "mercenary" options and have the rest be troops typical of Estalia and Tilea, along with mountain clan auxiliaries (for estalians) and border prince auxiliaries (for tileans).

If this army were to be made, their natural rivals (in trade and war) would have to also come along: Araby. As others have said, the Warmaster models are quite evocative. However, sales might be slightly behind with this army given the political climate in most GW client countries. I also think that opening the coastal regions in the WHW equivalent of the Mediterranean would make sense. This would also allow for more fluff to be fleshed out between Nehekhara and their immediate human neighbors. Where the empire has to root out Chaos Cultists primarily (there are also necromancers), in Araby, it might be Nagashite Cultists. There's plenty of not only mythical material for GW to draw on, but also a lot of real world history as well.

I have faith that the Chaos Dwarfs will not be squatted.

Finally, I'd like for the Hobgoblin Khanate, the Golden Horde, make its way into the West. Orcs and Goblins hate 'em, so would Dwarfs- this could make for some interesting alliances of convenience O.o . Their presence would also flesh out the region east of the WE Mountains outside of the Ogre Kingdoms and Zharr Naggrund.

Nemesis7884
03-10-2010, 06:46
norsca - but no chaos - norsca, neutral norsca (marauders, yetis, wolfs/dogs, mammuts)
cathay

Formosus
03-10-2010, 06:54
1) Chaos Dwarfs. Unfortunately I joined the hobby after their army book had been out of print for a long time. I normally dislike Chaos-related factions, but for some reason I loved the Dawi Zharr when I read about them.

2) Araby; they are certainly a distinctive enough human faction to warrant their own army books.

3) Cathay; same as above.

As much as I do like Estalia and Tilea, I think their armies can just use Bretonnian and/or Empire army books, just a bit re-flavored. I would like to see a book released about them to help with this, but no new crunch is needed.

Oglog
03-10-2010, 13:39
Lizardwomen
fishmen
fishwomen
female dwarfs
female ogres

Leogun_91
03-10-2010, 15:27
1) Kislev (The models looked good and the base of the armylist was good, it just needed fleshing out).

2) Vampire Coast (Zombie pirates and Lustrian undeads led by Luthor Harkon)

3) Tilea (Not DoW but Tilea, GW dropped DoW for being to bland, expanding the DoW elements that wasn't found elsewhere and making others in the same style could make a great Tilean army)

4) Amazons (I think it would sell and it's kind of cool)

5) Araby (they are cool in warmaster so they should be cool in warhammer)

BorderKing
03-10-2010, 15:36
I like the idea of a vampire coast army but I reckon that GW would be better off doing a ROR unit of zombie pirates led by Luther Harkon. FW has talked about possibly doing ROR so this could be a good unit for them to do.

Putty
03-10-2010, 16:30
Space Marines

Feefait
03-10-2010, 16:38
There was a time when I thought a DoW/Mercenaries list would be cool as anything. When they announced it was happening way back when i was psyched. Then they came out and while they were fun, they weren't as cool as I'd hoped and just seemed to lead to silly powergaming. Too many people just took the cannons in their elf army or chaos or whatever because it was the best thing in there. If it gets done I'd like to see them as add ons to other armies, and not necessarily available to everyone.

Chaos Dwarves are kinda cool, but I'm just as glad to see them gone as well. the last list was horribly powerful and, sorry but the Big Hat Gang just didn't hit with me. The only other CD models I've seen from GW were the really old ones that were just dwarves with spikes. Snooze. If they can be done well and balanced, I've got no problem with CD's.

I've always wanted an Araby army. From my understanding it's the closest one to ever having been made from the outlying territories. A guy i used to know who worked at GW said (years ago) they had models working, but they couldn't get the right balance between them looking ethnically appropriate and racist, so it was scrapped. But with the talent out there now, and machines I don't see why they couldn't try again.

Gillburg
03-10-2010, 16:56
1. Hobgoblin Khanate : They have the largest empire according to the fluff, Even a small list like how the necrons started out

2. Kislev : They are so unique, Plus they are basically in the middle of the constat wars between chaos and man so they need to be useable. Even combine them into the next empire book, That would be fine/

3. Chaos Dwarfs : They are cool.

Invisible Sun
03-10-2010, 18:30
Araby is long overdue, as they've had Warmaster minis for years. I like the concept of a Norse list, but I think they could just expand the existing WoC list to allow a Marauder army. Cathay is great, but GW will never do it as it would be the best army ever! Dragonmen, terracotta atomatons, steepe nomads; they have everything.

But seriously, Araby. They exist already. There's a lot of potential in terms of units and background. Plus, since they're already based on a human culture it will be easy for the brainboyz at GW to work with them.

Nemesis7884
03-10-2010, 20:42
yeah but norsk without the chaos would be great...

WizzyWarlock
03-10-2010, 21:18
Personally, I'd like to put together a Civilian Uprising army, which might even be doable with an Empire force if you could find more appropriate models. So you'd have mobs based on the classes from Fantasy Roleplay, like small skirmish groups of Rat Catchers with their pet dogs (maybe give them bonuses when fighting Skaven?), Bounty Hunters in units fighting alongside Bodyguards and Grave Robbers. Maybe a skirmish group similar to Wardancers that are all Entertainer classes.

You could have small cavalry units formed from Outriders and Roadwardens, and could have special characters such as Hedge Wizards for magic, Nobles as champions and Assassins sneaking around similar to the Skaven Assassins.Obviously you'd also have core units like Peasants and Militia.

Not sure if you could change a current army and decide on unit types with 'fluff', but some special rules for the different types would be cool.

snurl
04-10-2010, 08:06
Fishmen of chaos. Followed by Chaos dwarves and Araby.

huinipachutli
04-10-2010, 10:12
1. Frogmen with armywide regeneration and their crocmen, turtlemen and snakemen allies.
2. Monkeys with keys
3. The Pet-rock HORDE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES AND WIVES!

Mbarotzo
04-10-2010, 10:24
1 Elementals.
2 Araby.
3 Dogs of War.
4 Cathay.
5 Nauticans ( Fishmen http://battlereporter.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html)
6 Kislev.

Daniel36
04-10-2010, 10:27
Actually, Fishmen are going to happen. According to the concept story, they are going to be highly advanced.

Check out this concept model that was leaked several days ago.

http://www.burningclam.com/BB/bb05.jpg

Okay, sorry...

It would be cool though. Cooler than lizardmen if you ask me.

enygma7
04-10-2010, 13:50
I don't think GW proper should release any more races, the development cycle is overstretched as is.

I'd like to see forgeworld cover some of the other races mentioned in the background for those who want to do something different. Chaos dwarves are the obvious race missing from the party... I'd love to see them back as a seperate, distinct faction with their own gods and hobgoblin slave sidekicks - I don't want to see them become just another flavour of chaos.

Some of the other human factions would be interesting, but only if they could be made sufficiently unique and fantasyesque - I don't want to see six different flavours of historical humans with minor fantasy additions (already done with empire and bretonnia and kislev). So a cathayan army built around terracotta automatons as core troops with human sorcerers commanding would be fun, as would an arabyan army with plenty of djinns and flying cavalry on carpets.

I'd also like to see themed lists for existing factions, e.g. return of the high elf sea patrol and cult of slaanesh dark elves, necromancer/liche king undead etc.

harthag12
04-10-2010, 14:08
Zoats, Fishmen, a female force (Amazon or anything else that has female models).

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-10-2010, 19:22
Zoats, Fishmen, a female force (Amazon or anything else that has female models).

Warhammer Armies: Bewbies of Chaos?

Halelel
05-10-2010, 02:00
I am hesitant to see how GW would approach a female-only Fantasy army. On one hand, the most recent female models (Dark Eldar seen at GD UK) would indicate that GW is capable of creating female warriors who don't just wear scraps of clothing with exaggerated cleavage. However, it would be all too easy to make Amazons absolutely ridiculous looking.

I feel Fantasy could use a female oriented army, but am unsure if GW could pull it off.

Jaeron
06-10-2010, 09:36
Sisters of Battle look pretty good imo, tho I like their look in Dawn of War much more than the actual models. Would love to see an all female army much more than, let's say, fish(wo)men.

oinek
06-10-2010, 09:57
Chaos Dwarfs will be nice to see again
Ancient Civilization of Atlantis - Fishmen that can be a nice and wet army ;)

Son of Plunder
06-10-2010, 13:37
Kislev, Tilea, Nippon, Ind, Araby, Cathay etc.

And daemoncallers (not just chaos) so every army can include some daemonic power! Oh, not regular dwarves!

I dunno!

Last Edition
06-10-2010, 13:43
Even though my own Norse list works just fine, I would like to see a return of the Norse. 40k has them, why can't WHFB? :P

ChaosVC
06-10-2010, 14:23
1.) Kislev
2.) Araby
3.) random people armed with dice

Pulstar
06-10-2010, 14:43
Tomb Kings

Oh wait...

Nemesis7884
06-10-2010, 20:10
an update - with troops

norse (no chaos)
lords/heros: chieftain, shaman
standard: barbarian/marauder, marauder horsman, wolf-hounds with pack master, axe throwers
special: berserkers (frenzy), yetis, ancestors guard (some heavy armor infantry), sabertooth tiger riders, ymirs (if ymir is used as the smaller versions of a frost giant, similar profiles to kroxys/ogres/trolls/minotaurs/rat ogres etc...)
rare: frost giant (or ymir), mammoth

albion (celtic themed)
lords/heroes: lord, druid, maybe some werewolf/wolfen/shapeshifter lord
standard: standard infantry (a bit like marauders, but more woodelf/celtic like), bowmen, wolfriders?
special: shapeshifters/werewolfes/wolfen, satyrs, some wolf themed heavy infantry (with wolfpelts/heads as armor - similar to space wolfs)
rare: giant, stonegolem (hurling stones)

as far as araby goes - if they make it like the warmaster minis - no thanks...too "expected" to stereotype and boring...if they make it like a mix from the persians from 300 (we definately need immortals!!!!!) and alexanders macedonians - definately...with some alchemists throwing bombs...has potential

Not a word to the elf.
06-10-2010, 22:29
1.Samurai
2.Dragons
3.Albion

New Cult King
07-10-2010, 02:46
"Eastern Empires" - Araby, Cathay, Nippon etc. all in one book.

SimRobert2001
07-10-2010, 03:53
Dogs of War,
and Kislev. I think ice queens/whitches/apprentices would be AWESOME

Gaargod
07-10-2010, 11:09
Monkeymen. Not enough monkeys in Warhammer.

That would be Ind then (see Ogre Kingdoms book)

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 19:52
looking.

I feel Fantasy could use a female oriented army, but am unsure if GW could pull it off.

GW doesn't really go down the TnA route of course they don't do much female models at all, so WFB and 40K are sausage fests.

I don't think a proper Amazon army could ever work(they don't concern themselves much with the rest of the world), but maybe as part of Dogs of War. Amazon Tiger riders?
Thing is, DoW didn't sell the first time round so GW probably won't bring them back.

Alltaken
07-10-2010, 20:36
Cathay could be wierder than nippon or a nippon with lots of onis and bakemonos tied to armies, or kamis. A human army with monsters would be so cool

Skawolf
07-10-2010, 20:48
I have always wanted a generic army book like the ravening hordes DOW book, but without the merc flavor. I think this would be awesome and could be used to base different armies on. GW could bring out araby models, kislev models, estalian models or whatever and this one mega tome could be used for all basic human armies.

Barring that I would just say release a kislevite book.

Shadowsinner
07-10-2010, 21:01
Astral Warriors: Angels, high spirits, avian creatures, cleric fanatics, dimensional beings, void monsters, energy?

Elementals: earth strikes back against the taint of chaos and those who who destroy nature

Underdark: mindflayers, golems, spiders, mutants

Titans: 3000 points= 3 models :P giants are core

Tyranids!!!

w3rm
07-10-2010, 21:58
Super technologicly advanced gnomes. I'm talking gnomes armed with repeater handguns for special and core would be gnomes mostly riding on giant flightless birds. Also...

Chaos Gnomes.

kurisawa
08-10-2010, 09:27
Birdmen. From the Roof of the World Mountains, perhaps a slightly Eastern feel to weapons, helmets and armour, as the HE have the Roman/Greek look all tied up.

I want to say "Diiiive!" when each unit charges.

K.

Eta
08-10-2010, 10:11
Manatees & Fishmen as a coalition of fishy evil!

Other than that I'd only like to see more reasonably priced plastic models for all armies.

Greetings
Eta

Artein
08-10-2010, 10:50
Fishmen.

Chaos Penguins.

Araby.

Chaos Dwarfs.

Son of Plunder
16-10-2010, 18:29
Maybe a book and an army for each chaos god, like "legions of khorne", "Disciples of Tzeentch", "Hordes of nurgle" and "Perverts of Slaanesh", No! Not the last one! But i think of armies dedicated to each god, with warriors and daemons!

Lord_Byron
16-10-2010, 20:17
Fantasy Kroot.

Cat people. Maybe even cat women.

Araby.

Elementals.

Golems.

Lord_Elric
16-10-2010, 20:27
"Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen""Cthulhu fhtagen"

dimetri1
17-10-2010, 01:48
Chaos Dwarfs

tbdehart
17-10-2010, 01:54
I really dont care about what a new army will look like. My only requirement is that Whoopi Goldberg can be taken as a Lord character, with my avatar as a Hero choice.

huinipachutli
17-10-2010, 01:57
Little Empire
Baby dwarfs
Baby Elves
Mousemen
Infant Daemons
Teenage Brettonia
Lizardchildren
Kids of Chaos
Vampire Brats
Tomb princesses

Marneus Calgar
17-10-2010, 01:58
I would love to see an Angel army.

It would be spectacular!

sulla
17-10-2010, 02:32
"Cthulhu fhtagen"If you go by the DE corsairs, Cthulhu basically = fishmen...

Lord_Elric
17-10-2010, 11:24
I would love to see an Angel army.

It would be spectacular!

something along the lines of the angelic horde from darksiders wrath of war :P

Lord_Elric
17-10-2010, 11:26
If you go by the DE corsairs, Cthulhu basically = fishmen...

yeh i have alot of corsairs i was more thinking of having a 5th chaos god "cthulu" the model would be excelent and im contemplating the scultp greater deamon sized or would he be slann???? hmmm

Nunnja
17-10-2010, 12:09
1: Araby - But only if they're done properly, with weaknesses, strengths, and bizarre peccadilloes, not in some placatory attempt to say "Hey, isn't Eastern culture great everyone??"

2: Chaos Dwarfs - My WoC demand more stumpy allies than just the Hellcannon crew, by the blood God!

3: Pirates - Who doesn't love pirates? A multi-racial, multi-species mix of light-hearted drunken robbers with a fondness for blunderbusses and huge swords!

But a lot of the other suggestions I've seen are cool. Apart from the japaneses influenced ones. Japan's had enough internet acclaim, none of it objective. For every cool suit of Samurai armour that makes you think "Wow, Japan ROCKS!" there are 10 stories of vending machines selling soiled schoolgirl underwear, or 1930's experiments trying to get dogs to copulate with Chinese women. 'Nuff said really ;)

AussieSocks
17-10-2010, 16:35
GW will never do a "Minions" style list like PP's latest, because people would be less inclined to start army number two if they could get everything they wanted in army number 1.

I'm positive that's why Empire can't have Ogres.

JUST ADD KISLEV BOYARS AND PIKEMEN TO THE EMPIRE BOOK (with options for pikemen+xbows to take heavy armour)....

Along with Ogre allies.... :)