PDA

View Full Version : Need tips for Tomb Kings

Vox-Grill
01-10-2010, 20:42
I'm playing a proxy match against ogres today, for 1000 points. For my friend and I we are both playing fantasy for the first time, proxying with 40k models, the match being Tomb Kings vs. Ogre Kingdoms respectively. Do you guys have any general tips? And anything to watch out for from my opponent? I'll post the list I banged up.

Tomb Prince: Collar of Shapesh, Great Weapon
Liche Priest (Heirophant): Cloak of the Dunes
Liche Priest: Hieratic Jar

Skeleton Warriors (19): Shields, Light Armor, Musician
Tomb Swarm

Tomb Scorpion
Carrion (3)
Chariots (3)

Screaming Skull Catapult

I kind of wanted Tomb Guard, but I don't really know what's good or bad at all and I just didn't have the points.

bluemage
01-10-2010, 22:31
I'll try to be helpful, but the best advice I can think of is to proxy a different army.

Drop the two liche priests and replace them with a high liche priest. Its worth the points upgrade. Or drop one liche priest and upgrade the tomb prince to a tomb king. The few extra points to upgrade a hero to a lord is very worth it in a Tomb King army. If you upgrade to a Tomb King take the banner of the undying legion with your skeletons.

Add a banner to your warriors, you'll need the extra combat rez. Also take a champion, this guy it great. Keep challenging his characters with your champion, he'll die horriebly, but that's the point, and you can just keep bringing him back to challenge again. Also drop the light armor from your skeletons. All ogres will reduce your armor save by atleast 2, theres not point spending extra points to get a 5+ when you won't get to roll it. The shields are okay for a 6+ ward but really, you should drop the armor all together and give your skeletons bows. Those will be useful.

You should probably drop the tomb swarm, its not very good along with the carrion. Use the extra points to upgrade you SSC to use skulls of the foe and increase your skeleton unit. Really you should probably drop the chariots for a second screaming skull catapult with skulls of the foe. Tomb Kings are the weakest army in 8th edition by far and you'll need all the help you can get.

Right now you'll be getting 2d6 dice in your magic phase and you'll have no way to spend them. So consider taking the ruby ring on one of your liche priests. The extra magic missile should help. When you're playing him, you should probably let through any buff spells that target ogres not in combat. And then dispel these in your magic phase with you extra powerdice.

So have fun, good luck. The thing to remember with tomb kings is that one mistake will cost you the game. It takes some time to understand how the army works and it is not at all forgiving of even minor mistakes. This problem has only worstened in 8th now that the army has gotten weaked.

D'Haran
01-10-2010, 22:37
Advice? Don't play Tomb Kings, they're unanimously agreed to be the worst army and in bad need of another book. That said the casket got a rather nice buff... don't know that you can use it in 1k but with true los it affects alot more units, especially if placed on a hill.

Tomb Swarm is waaaay too expensive in points for what it does, though your chariots are dirt cheap, might be a decent game if you run chariot heavy.

Badbones777
02-10-2010, 03:00
I would say whatever you drop, get more skeletons - one unit of 19 isn't going to hold up much, especially once they start losing combats by 4 or 5!

1000 points is always going to be a little tricky simply because mandatory characters (even if going for chepaest options with no Magic items) take up nearly a quarter of your points, and for what they do (especially with the downgrading of Fear) your core troops can feel a bit expensive.

While I as much as anyone would agree that us TK devotees are due a new book, I'd say give em a go at least - especially if you are proxying models. It's true they can feel a bit uncompetitve compared to a lot of other armies lately, but they can still do the business - In my last game against WoC, fair enough I lost, but all my mate had left was 3 maruders and 14 chosen (who to be fair, not much in my army could actually touch, especially rolling a 12 right off the bat on the Eye of the Gods table - Chaos armour and a 4+ward save is a bitch to penetrateeven with 30+ spear attacks-indeed it was something of a moral victory that I killed one of them! - damn them and their points denial abilities:p)
In terms of what to watch out for, I would say any Horde unit of Ogres, especially if they make a bee line for your block of skellies-they may well turn them to powder on the charge!

spiderman5z
02-10-2010, 05:41
Don't play 1000 pt games with tomb kings. They arent crap theyre just not an easy army to play. Play at least 2500 pt games then you can have a decent list. But if u have to do 1k id drop the carrion and possibly the chariots and make them into tomb guard with the undying legion banner if possible and change ur skeletons in to bowmen.

Steam_Giant
04-10-2010, 11:39
Don't play 1000 pt games with tomb kings. They arent crap theyre just not an easy army to play. Play at least 2500 pt games then you can have a decent list. But if u have to do 1k id drop the carrion and possibly the chariots and make them into tomb guard with the undying legion banner if possible and change ur skeletons in to bowmen.

THIS! well said spidey

There are two ways to play TK's IMHO, gunline or glass hammer. The two builds are radically different so i suppose it depends on which style you like.

scarvet
04-10-2010, 11:53
Tomb King is way easier to play compare to the last 2 editions.

I would suggest use Vampire Counts rule if you just like the models; but if you like Chariot or okay with an underpower army, go ahead.