PDA

View Full Version : What mad-man designed the Scraplauncher model?

MysteryGilgamesh
01-10-2010, 21:03
No, really. It took me 2 DAYS of mind-numbingly careful, gentle, don't-breathe-too-hard-or-it'll-fall-apart gluing and greenstuffing this trainwreck of a badly designed kit. And I'm still not finished! The instructions were also dubious at best, and even online tutorials were usually unfinished, one of which basically saying he gave up because it was too difficult to assemble.

Worse still, I can plainly see one drop, and it'll shatter like glass. Who the #@!$ designed this kit, and worse yet, what idiot decided to make it a 30+ piece METAL kit? :mad:

Korraz
01-10-2010, 21:20
That's basically the reason, that drove me to scratchbuild my Launchers.

bluemage
01-10-2010, 21:24
I believe that's why most people kit bash all of their launchers. Also the reason why people never buy a second one. It would be really unpleasant to do, but I hope you pinned all of the pieces of the model together. Otherwise its going to fall apart all of the time.

Ramius4
01-10-2010, 21:26
Worst. structural. model. design. ever.

TheSil
01-10-2010, 21:30
Definitely not the worst model ever, Bloodthirster and Lord of Change were much worse.

I built the scraplauncher in an afternoon, I spent more than 10 times as much time on this stupid Greater Demons until their wings finally stopped falling off

drear
01-10-2010, 22:20
i think the scraplauncher is the reason GW sells a handdrill.
pinning and good glue should keep it together D:

wilsongrahams
01-10-2010, 22:30
I agree - these metal models are not designed for beginners in modelling but experienced people.
Most metal models have always needed pinning - sword arms etc on characters all the way up to daemon wings - the difference is in the thickness of pin and how deep you drill. Some of my models have had the whole pommel of their swords drilled and steel rod used as a pin just to hold them on.
With the daemons, I'd use 2mm rod and use three pins to stop tortional stress too, and keep running superglue into the join after bonding before puttyin to seal the join.
Models like the scraplauncher unfortunately would not sell enough models to warrant making it in plastic, and I don't think GW should simplify things just for ease of assembly - the reason I collect these models is becasue they are some of the best on the market.

Lazarian
01-10-2010, 22:40
I enjoyed building the two I have. The first one probably took an hour and a half? the second one took about 30 minutes to 40 minutes. I didnt pin it till later on and the horns fell off so about 10 minutes of pinning there. I really enjoy the models I dunno.

Korraz
01-10-2010, 22:55
The popularty of the Launchers sky-rocketed this edition, together with the ogres. Even if the rules stay the same, a plastic-model should be high-priority with a new book. They would sell like...stuff that sells very well.

Toddums
01-10-2010, 23:02
Pinning is great! As already mentioned...

MysteryGilgamesh
01-10-2010, 23:24
No, no pinning here-I don't own the tools for it. Hence the extensive greenstuffing. I swear I'd write an angry letter if I thought they'd actually read it.

bluemage
02-10-2010, 00:41
If we're really luck War Forge will make a resin scraplaunch, which would be much easier to put together. If I played OK, I'd be willing to be extra for it to be made of plastic or resin and thus easier to assemble.

spiderman5z
02-10-2010, 07:09
the same person who designed the tomb scorpion

Bingo the Fun Monkey
02-10-2010, 07:31
Matt Ward.:rolleyes::wtf::shifty:

Korraz
02-10-2010, 10:06
If we're really luck War Forge will make a resin scraplaunch, which would be much easier to put together. If I played OK, I'd be willing to be extra for it to be made of plastic or resin and thus easier to assemble.

ForgeWorld and Easy to Assemble does not compute :D

Oglog
02-10-2010, 13:18
Matt Ward.:rolleyes::wtf::shifty:

nice one!
thumbs up for you!

Lord Dan
02-10-2010, 13:30
Look on the bright side:

Shizzbam
02-10-2010, 13:30
I've found all multi-part metal models to be worth pinning really, but if you can't be bothered with that, I also use activator spray when gluing metal models. Dries out the glue in a few seconds, meaning you can get on with doing the rest of the model without standing there holding the damn thing for an hour on each bit :p

Lord Dan
02-10-2010, 13:37
I've found all multi-part metal models to be worth pinning really, but if you can't be bothered with that, I also use activator spray when gluing metal models. Dries out the glue in a few seconds, meaning you can get on with doing the rest of the model without standing there holding the damn thing for an hour on each bit :p

You need to be careful here though, as zip kicker really does weaken the superglue bond. I would second the recommendation for pinning, second the use of activator spray, and also suggest you go back with a second, non activated layer of superglue once the first one dries.

After that you could heave that bad boy against a tank and it would be fine. ...but don't.

Shizzbam
02-10-2010, 13:43
Aye it does weaken the bond a tad, but that can be fixed by putting a thin layer of super glue along the crevasse of the join. For bigger stuff I usually finish off joins with green stuff too. Glued my metal giant up this way - dropped him twice and he never broke.

Dark Aly
03-10-2010, 09:20
pinning is one of the essential tools for any modeller so get yourself a pin vice, 1mm bit and 1mm copper/brass wire from any hardware store (cost less than 5) and your building and enjoyment of these kits will improve a hundred fold, plus they will fall apart rarely.

azhagmorglum
03-10-2010, 11:28
As for who sculpted the scraplauncher, look on the box (if you still have it), it should be written somewhere

Atrahasis
03-10-2010, 11:33
2-part epoxy glue.

Games Workshop themselves used to recommend it before they started selling overpriced superglue in their own shops.