PDA

View Full Version : How is Cult of Slaanesh supposed to win?

scuddman
09-03-2006, 04:03
I read through the storm of chaos book, and I got to the cult of slaanesh portion.
To be honest, I just don't get it.

You look at the summoning horde: wins by summoning units in strategic places, like the rear.

You look at Bretonnians: Charge with cavalry, break units early.

Lizardmen: shoot with skinks, mop up with hitty units like kroxigors.

Then you look at cult of slaanesh, and the pieces don't really seem to fit.

So how are you supposed to win with cult of slaanesh?

Shockwave
09-03-2006, 04:28
I play Cult of Slaanesh almost exculsively at the minute, and i must say it's the army i've won with the most.

I find that the Cult army is like a Heavy weight Boxer but with a glass jaw. It hits hard in almost every phase. Movement is one of the fastest army around. The Slaanesh lore is so good some call it broken. Shooting is only reasonable, but when combined with proper positioning can be lethal. It's hth phase can be as hard as any, more so with the proper positioning.

However make a mistake, or the dice play away. the army will crumble faster than an undead army. All the units are expensive, most have little armour along with Toughness 3.

Played right, it's very deadly.

Drake Dun
09-03-2006, 07:49
However make a mistake, or the dice play away. the army will crumble faster than an undead army. All the units are expensive, most have little armour along with Toughness 3.

That sounds familiar.

Drake <-- tree hugging dandelion muncher

sigur
09-03-2006, 08:34
@sucuddman: You're simplifying it too much, I think.

CoS is a very viable list, so I heard and hits harder than a normal DE list. They have those super-fast demons, cavalary, dead-hard Slaanesh magic, nifty chaos equipment, ...

Frankly
09-03-2006, 11:49
Cult of slannesh are one of those armies that can do something and do it well in every phase of it's turn.

It's fast and mobile in its movement phase.

Great magic.

Can shoot really well.

Excellent in combat, espeically on the charge.

It's a hard army to play against, because it can do so much in its turn, making it unpredictable and hard to play against at times. Not only that but it has some neat tricks up its sleave and a great troop selection.

Shockwave's 'boxer with a glass jaw' hits the nail on the head.

J6mnik
09-03-2006, 13:54
Hi there!
I've played this list once, against Necrarch VC, and even I lost badly, I find this army as good force to command.

Below is link to the Slaaneshi standard, which I found in google while searching for inspiration:
http://gronk.k1w1.com/StendardoSlaanesh12.jpg

Greetings!
J6mnik

ROCKY
09-03-2006, 19:11
The only time I play the cult is when there is a 3000point match! that way I use my fast cav in unity with my cold one knights and chaos knightsl, two of the strongest cav known to elf! the only thing I wished they change would be that they put in an exalted instead of a measley aspiring champ!

m1s1n
10-03-2006, 00:37
I think it is pretty easy to win with, you just have to play to your own weaknesses. Don't get flanked because your units are really pretty frail. Use your speed to own the movement phase--that way you can only fight when it is in your favor. Meanwhile shoot away and blast away with magic.
Simply put--play them like Dark Elves with Chaos units.

Pravus
14-03-2006, 09:37
Mounted Daemonettes paired with reaper bolt throwers ... and don't forget cheapy marauder units too. My problem is I can never fit in everything I want to use!

Neknoh
14-03-2006, 11:02
Don't forget the Keeper of Seecrets constant battle with the Druchii Anointed about who is going to be your Lord Chocie in 2k games.

The Cult is highly reliable on Magic, your general must be a Sorceress and all but one of your characters are/can be casters.

The Cult also emphasis movement, however, if you want to hit hard in combat as well, no problem doing it, Devoted are simply evil, Mounted Daemonettes can mop up anything they flank and Coldone Knights together with Chaos Warriors pack a nasty punch.

sulla
16-03-2006, 06:49
I read through the storm of chaos book, and I got to the cult of slaanesh portion.
To be honest, I just don't get it.

So how are you supposed to win with cult of slaanesh?

...And i don't get your comment... In a lot of ways, the cult of slaanesh is mor powerful than the normal DE list...

Better magic, more powerful heroes, cheaper throw away units, most of the hard hitters of the DE list combined with the hardness of chaos. It's certainly not a bad list.

Okuto
16-03-2006, 13:57
Dude, the Cult is like totally more powerful than the reg DE list.

I tend to go for a more infantry horde/refused flank typish army.

having your general as a mage is sort of a hanidcap but there's bigger things to worry about in the cult.

Don't forget you can take the dread chaos knights, though I'd be happier with bolt throwers and spawns.

When the storm of Chaos came, I played my empire and about almost every 60% of the armies I faced were the cult!

Actually I tend to take more chaos troops than elf ones sometimes....

scuddman
17-03-2006, 10:00
The cult of slaanesh may be more powerful than the dark elf list, but that doesn't mean it has the tools to win. It is also completely irrelevant that the dark elf list is weaker.
Magic and heroes dont' win games. Units do..and to be honest, the only really good unit in there are the mounted daemonttes.

Devoted make a great anvil unit, but there is no reliable hammer in the list, which is why I think you never see people win tournies with cult of slaanesh.

I fail to see how the cult of slaanesh can beat the top armies out there.
Win in the movement phase? Wood elves and tzeentch and bretonnia do it better.

To win you have to break/panic/destroy enemy units. How can devoted break an enemy unit of cavalry? Simple, they CAN"T.

Mad Makz
17-03-2006, 14:05
You are looking at the section that also allows them to have Chaos Knights right? I'd say they are a pretty good hammer unit in the scheme of things, wouldn't you?

I mean, you can pretty much cherry pick the good elements of a Dark Elf army with some great elements of a Chaos army. You get a unit of very viable infantry in the Devoted (only one is mandatory), plus Chaos Knights if you want them, plus marauders if you want more cheap infantry, plus all the other options.

Commenting that the devoted can't break an enemy unit of cavalry (which isn't exactly true, they have about as much chance as any other infantry unit, potentially more due to their three attacks each.) is a bit futile when you are looking at what is very much a combined arms list. The army certainly has more than enough unit choices that can break opposing cavallry outside the devoted.

Neknoh
17-03-2006, 16:08
And we mustn't forget the fact that a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh is something a biiiit more than a souped up character.

It can break ranks, have the same ammount of attacks as a frontage of 5 troops, have a skyhigh Move, Weaponskill and Initiative as well as being strength 6... now... combine a kipper with devoted, Mounted Daemonettes, core Shades and some Reaper Boltthrowers and you've got yourself something that can deal hurt... throw in a handfull of Coldone Knights and Darkriders and you can see how stuff really begin to hurt.

And you must remember that even if magic normally doesn't win game on its own, Slaaneshian magic... does!

sulla
17-03-2006, 22:01
The cult of slaanesh may be more powerful than the dark elf list, but that doesn't mean it has the tools to win. It is also completely irrelevant that the dark elf list is weaker.
Magic and heroes dont' win games. Units do..and to be honest, the only really good unit in there are the mounted daemonttes.

Uh... the flaw in your argument is that the DE army can win to start with. The problem with the DE army was never that it wasn't competitive, just that certain choices were so much better than rivals that over half the army would never be chosen...

So, if you concede that the Cult is better than the standard DE army list, AND the standard DE list is competitive, then you must see that the Cult list is a good 'un.

Sulla

scuddman
18-03-2006, 00:55
The dark elf list is NOT competitive. I do not see people winning tournies with dark elves. There wasn't even a single dark elf player in the top 10 at the UK GT. I"d be surprised if there were any even in the top 20.

What possible list could the dark elves take to deal with the Bretonnia RAF, or lizardmen all skinks list? How about skaven SAD? Tzeentch flying circus?

Shockwave
18-03-2006, 06:38
And we mustn't forget the fact that a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh is something a biiiit more than a souped up character.

It can break ranks, have the same ammount of attacks as a frontage of 5 troops, have a skyhigh Move, Weaponskill and Initiative as well as being strength 6... now... combine a kipper with devoted, Mounted Daemonettes, core Shades and some Reaper Boltthrowers and you've got yourself something that can deal hurt... throw in a handfull of Coldone Knights and Darkriders and you can see how stuff really begin to hurt.

Hey! Thats my army!!

Neknoh
18-03-2006, 10:06
Scuddman, there wasn't any BoC players in the top 20 either, still, this doesn't mean that the Beasts of Chaos cannot be real killer armies.

Give the revised DE list to a good player and he'll make something that can actually end up in the top 5, however, the problem here being, that skaven SAD and DL Snails are both very difficult for the DE to defeat.

Bolt Throwers, Dark Magic, core Fast Cavalry, heavy hitters in all their special choices and able to hire the Manflayers as a special choice as well... tell me you can't see the possabillities!

And Shockwave... I told you it put down hurt :p

TiGerChaos
21-03-2006, 13:41
hi

I have a small COS army
hmm, Planning in making a Druchi annointed

so which is a Lot better?
Keeper or the Druchi?

Both look good :D

Jesse

lord_blackfang
21-03-2006, 14:13
A COS army came in 3rd at our last local tournament (28 players), so it can't be all bad.

Neknoh
21-03-2006, 19:05
TiGeRChaos, it's all a matter of personal taste, give the Druchii a Steed, Avatar of Slaanesh, bindings of Slaanesh, a Greatweapon and Quickening Blood and he should be able to tear appart units by himself by simply challenging the weakest character in it, squashing him and then turning towards the r&f.

However, greater Daemons are GOLD as well.
I prefer the kipper for the anointed.

Your Mum Rang
21-03-2006, 19:12
I say Anounted simply from a points POV. By having him you can save 200ish points and can do almost the same job. Cos you need a good few Sorceresses too.

Although he cannot break ranks like a Kipper can.

samw
21-03-2006, 22:30
And the Keeper is a Lv 4, it's cost you that much to get the PD in casters.

However,i'd go with the annointed. SOOOO many options make him so damn cool! Just never put him on a Cold One ;)

ROCKY
22-03-2006, 00:21
While the keeper does have T6 it does not have armor saves and does not have a good ward save (5+daemonic wardsave), hence, The annointed could survive a bit more and with a great weapon can take down characters/chariots. Since a sorceress must be the general, I would focus on getting a couple of them to do magic, while the annointed does the smacking. Plus keeper is 625points (in a 2000point game that is a little too much for my taste!).

Mr. Shadowsun
23-03-2006, 01:14
you can get a makeshift greater daemon easily in a cos army for about half the price. take a high sorceress and give her a daemonsword, giving her the same ws, strength and attacks of a kos. but still i want to use a greater daemon at some point for the shock value. make the rest of your army pure dark elves except the daemon. watch your opponent's expression reverse as his anit elf force has to deal with a greater daemon (obviously the game is arranged in advance, just as the battles of yore were).

Neknoh
23-03-2006, 04:50
Actually, she can't use the Daemonsword, since it is NOT a Slaanesh Only weapon

Shockwave
23-03-2006, 16:56
I find the main difference between the Keeper and the Anointed is the fact that i Keeper can take units, The Anointed can't do that on his own, and the only way to overkill the little guys is to take the bindings, but at 50pts it doesn't leave all that much else....

Besides i find the Keeper has an psychological effect on my opponant.

Yep, Neknoh is right on thee old Deamon weapon...

ROCKY
23-03-2006, 17:05
I dunno. The KoS is a large target hence, your opponent will blast it for all he's worth. plus it also depends on how many points the army is. in a 2000point game the KoS is more then 1/4th of your army.

Neknoh
23-03-2006, 19:35
And the Keeper will do more than 70%of the job as well when used correctly.

A Large Target has never bothered me, with 6 wounds at Toughness 6 and a 5+ Daemonic Wardsave, anything that requires a "To hit" roll will have a hard time wounding it enough to actually hurt it, and a Cannon is actually a lot riskier to an Anointed than to a Keeper, due to the fact that a normal cannon cannot even whack the keeper in a single blow, whilst it can utterly slaughter the steed of the Anointed or weaken him/her greatly.

A greatcannon will also have a MUCH higher chance of killing an anointed than it will have in killing a keeper.

The Keeper is a combat MONSTER, the Anointed have to be designed specifikally for any task, if you are going to face a Horde army, you have to redesign it, a heavy character, redesign, heavy cav, redesign... you get the idea, a Keeper is perfect for taking on any of the above armies.

Also, a Keeper of Seecrets inspires Terror as well as having a default Movement of 9" and being Daemonic (and hence allowed to join Daemon units, such as Mounted Daemonettes), sure, Daemonic can go poof, but the chance of a Daemonic unit going really poof is the same as a unit of stubborn ld9 troops (which you RELY on to hold your battleline) will break, flee and get run down.

A Keeper is also a level 4 wizard that uses the Lore of Slaanesh (doesn't matter if he's in combat really), an Anointed can only be level 2.

Shockwave
24-03-2006, 04:10
One of the (many) things that bring a smile to my face with the keeper, is that your almost always 3's to hit 2's to wound (3-4 wounds a combat) and the attacks back are 5's to hit, 6's to wound then the ward save....

Just avoid regenerating, Maw seeker Tyrants with the tenderiser...

Frankly
24-03-2006, 04:20
The thing I like about the cult of Slaanesh armylist is that you don't need smacky hero's at all.

You really only need magic defense and a general in the armylist.

You get better value for points in smackness in unit choices.

It makes such nice "take on all comers" armylists if you concentrate on unit sellection over hero's slotts IMO.

Shockwave
27-03-2006, 10:12
The thing I like about the cult of Slaanesh armylist is that you don't need smacky hero's at all.

You really only need magic defense and a general in the armylist.

You get better value for points in smackness in unit choices.

It makes such nice "take on all comers" armylists if you concentrate on unit sellection over hero's slotts IMO.

Can i see your list then?