PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms 2500pts. Help me equip my characters

Durloth
02-10-2010, 15:03
I have been playing Ogres a lot, ever since the army was released and have taken them to more tournaments than I can count (with mixed results). As a consequence, I have started picking the same old items and equipment every time and would really like some fresh perspective on what to get them.

As you will see from the list, I love my Gnoblars in 8th. I`ve tried running four units for them, but that got too hard to keep within the leadership bubble.

This list is built with all characters taking their full maximum points in magic items reserved, but I`ve got loads of places to put my points, so I want to keep the characters cheep(ish) if possible and add some extra units or upgrades instead (like extra HW for the Bulls and Bellower for the Ironguts).

Tyrant:305pts
Slaughtermaster: 300pts
------
BSB: 205pts
Butcher: 180pts
------
4 Bulls- Bellower: 150pts
5 Ironguts- Bellower: 250pts
40 Gnoblar fighters- Groinbiter: 82pts
2 Leadbelchers: 110pts
8 Gnoblar Trappers: 48pts
------
Scraplauncher: 165pts
Scraplauncher: 165pts
------
Gorger: 75pts
------
Total 2499pts
------

This is ment to be an all-comers list and will need a bit of magical protection, something to take out characters/monsters and a whole lot of cunning (luck).

Pavulon
02-10-2010, 16:30
Well first off, you've got 4 chars and 4 units. If there is going to be 1 char per unit (which is how I run them) you need to beef up those bull units to at least 5 so they have 2 ranks. I run 6 bulls plus a char so hopefully I still have 2 ranks when I get to combat.

The slaughtermaster is the easy to equip in my opinion. Siegebreaker, Talisman of preservation, dispel scroll. He now kicks more butt than most people's fighty lords plus he's a level 4 wiz with a dispel scroll.

BSB gets mawseeker, The HA of 5+ ward (forget its name), and a CLS

The butcher gets the wyrdstone necklace and sword of antiheroes.

Tyrant is a bigger problem on how to equip. Currently I am going with Armor of destiny (maybe wrong name, but its the armor of 4+ ward), GW, Crown of command, Mawseeker.

I want to know tactically how you plan on using 3 units of fighters?

Durloth
02-10-2010, 17:18
Hi Pavulon! Thanks for the input:)

I have never used a Slaughtermaster before, so sending my "wizard" into HTH will take some getting used to. His set-up looks solid though, so I can see the potential. I am a bit worried at the lack of magical protection, though. I usually run at least Hellheart and/or Great Skull as well as a scroll.

I usually keep several characters in one unit to spread out hits from shooting and magic, having the characters switch units when the one they`re in becomes so decimated that it becomes useless. The reasons for keeping the units so small is threefold:
1: To make them really cheap.
2: I have found that six more attacks doesn`t make that much of a difference. Six Bulls still have problems breaking units.
3: To keep the frontage narrow, so I can send in reinforcements.

The Gnoblar Fighters are generally used in two ways (but are cheap enough to throw away should the situation dictate it):

If I`m facing an enemy with lots of cavalry/monsters/other fast and fighty stuff I`ll send the gnoblars forward and try to force him to charge them. They can now hold up almost any shock troops for several rounds of combat, giving me the time to get my Ogres and characters around the flanks, or if not, just let them chew on the 82pts. Gnoblars, while I send in the Ogres against the rest of the enemys army.

If the enemy has lots of infantry, I`ll rush him with the Ogres to pin his units (usually managing draws or losing by so little that they will keep in place for the turn it takes my gnoblars to get in. That`s where the 4 Ogres strong units og bulls really shine, as it gives me room to easily get the gnoblars into contact with the enemy infantry and break their steadfast and provide a precious four extra points of combat resolution. If needed I also have room to send in a character or Scraplauncher.

Durloth
04-10-2010, 09:49
What if I go with:
Tyrant- Talisman of Preservation, Tenderiser, Potion of Foolhardiness, Luck Gnoblar: 305pts.
Slaughtermaster- Wyrdstone Necklace, Siegebreaker, Mawseeker, Luck Gnoblar: 265pts.
------
BSB- Armour of Destiny, Cathayan Longsword, Lookout Gnoblar: 218pts.
Butcher- Feedback Scroll: 180pts.

Six Tenderiser attacks on the charge may be a bit overkill. Any other (cheaper) ways to take out monsters and STanks?

Edit: Still very little magical protection... Anybody tried the Feedback Scroll? Does it kill wizards early enough in the game?

Pavulon
04-10-2010, 19:32
I dont see mawseeker on the tyrant. Literally its the best 10 points you can spend. SM cannot have a big name as far as I know, so take mawseeker off him.

I tend to go with mawseeker and the 5+ ward armor on my BSB. You took a 4+ ward and not mawseeker. It's probably equivalent in the long run. I prefer mawseeker just because that puts the onus on the opponent. I can't fail ward saves I never have to make.

Durloth
04-10-2010, 20:34
I dont see mawseeker on the tyrant. Literally its the best 10 points you can spend. SM cannot have a big name as far as I know, so take mawseeker off him.

I tend to go with mawseeker and the 5+ ward armor on my BSB. You took a 4+ ward and not mawseeker. It's probably equivalent in the long run. I prefer mawseeker just because that puts the onus on the opponent. I can't fail ward saves I never have to make.

You`re right about the SM. I guess I`ll change it around, so that the SM gets the 4+ ward and the BSB one of the two 5+ wards available. Maybe give one of them the Dragonbane pendant, just for kicks? Are any of the other 5pts. items worth taking?

I am trying to get a fresh perspective on items, but I`m having a really hard time fielding my Tyrant without the Tenderiser. With everything wounding on a 6 these days, I feel one point better ward save is better, but I haven`t really done the maths, so I don`t know for sure...

Tank you for your input!

Fox Of 9
04-10-2010, 21:40
IRON CURSE ICON = awsome usually but im not to sure with OK (BUT OCORDING TO SOME PEOPLE I ALWAYS WRONG)

Durloth
04-10-2010, 22:47
IRON CURSE ICON = awsome usually but im not to sure with OK (BUT OCORDING TO SOME PEOPLE I ALWAYS WRONG)

It seems like a nice item, but I`m already buying a ward save for all my characters, and they don`t stack.

Pavulon
05-10-2010, 15:47
But the icon gives a 6+ ward ti the unit. Can be nice when cannonballs start flying thru your ogres. Under the new rules when a cannonball strikes MI, if it doesnt kill them, it stops. Rolling a 6 for one ogre with the ICI actually saves all the ogres behind him too.

Fox Of 9
05-10-2010, 17:11
that was my thinking too

Durloth
06-10-2010, 18:41
Good point guys! I`ll make sure to work the Icon into my list!

Durloth
07-10-2010, 14:44
Tyrant: Armour of Destiny, Tenderiser, Luck Gnoblar: 305pts.
Slaughtermaster: Siegebreaker, Talisman of Preservation, Skull Mantle, Ironcurse Icon: 300pts.
------
BSB: Talisman of Endurance, Mawseeker, Potion of Foolhardiness, Lookout Gnoblar, Cathayan Longsword: 213pts.
Butcher: Feedback Scroll: 180pts.

Looking good? I have had mixed luck with the Hellheart, so I`ll try the Feedback Scroll. Still seems kind of risky running without more magical protection, but at least my characters are well warded... Guess I have to lose a couple of Gnoblars to afford the Cathayan Longsword on the BSB.

NightLordsOldtimer
08-10-2010, 01:55
What about instead of the Armor of Destiny and Tenderiser on your Tyrant you take Fencer's Blades, Trickster's Helm and Mawseeker (with Heavy Armor)? The FBs make you WS10 which helps in combat, both offensively and defensively, and gives you an additional attack. With Mawseeker he's now T6, plus a Toothcracker buff on the unit he's in makes him T7, which makes him much harder to wound, even for great weapons, and then the Helm makes them re-roll successful To Wound rolls against him, making him incredibly harder to wound. As someone said, I can't fail a Ward Save I don't have to take. And with a Strength buff on his unit, he's at Str6 with the FBs, so in a lot of cases you're wounding on low dice rolls anyway. I like the Tenderizer, don't get me wrong, and I plan on taking it in some lists once I get up to higher points values (I'm in an escalation league at the moment, and we're at 1,500 points, and I need the points for basic troops), but with so many things having ASF, having WS10 from the FBs makes him that much harder to hit, then the Helm makes them re-roll their successful wounds. And, with Trollguts on his unit, he's got a 4+ Regen save. Sure it'll probably get dispelled in your opponent's turn, but then you've still got all those other pluses going for you in his combat phase...

Just a thought...

If you add the Luck Gnoblar, you're Tyrant's now at 306 points, just a point over where you had him before. Not as offensive without the Tenderizer, but more survivable...

Fox Of 9
08-10-2010, 21:06
thats possible a better kdea i gues i depends on if hes after Brute force in terms of attack Or A more survivorable cnaracter with a more sublime way of dealing damage

Skittiez
12-10-2010, 18:35
You guys have some weird ass builds. I really like the MC Hammer Cant Touch this Tyrant build Mawseeker Glitter Scale, Grey pelt, C Longsword Wyrdstone

Bruiser bsb Mawseeker HA Enchanted Shield Crown of Command C Longsword

Slaughter Master- Blood cleaver Skullmantle Endurance Talisman(Terrifying mask of eeee if you have the points)

List wise Id break one gnobalar unit up into 2 blocks of 60 for super tarpits. Drop the iron guts Combine up the three bull units add two more bulls and put tyrant and bsb in it. Drop leadies take some smaller bulls units for flanks and add a scraplauncher

3 Scraplaunchers is so ridiculous

spiderman5z
13-10-2010, 04:40
i like a slaughtermaster with siegebreaker, hellheart, and wyrdstone necklace. He can recover the wound from the wyrdstone necklace and the hellheart is just brutal against any froggies.

rocdocta
13-10-2010, 08:39
The best way to equip dudes is to make sure that they able to cover what the unit cannot. ie GWs for in a bull unit, or if in irongut units take fencer blades etc to get more attacks in as the GW ASL. This has never let me down.

but what do i always take on my dudes?

tyrant - armour o destiny, tenderiser
SM - OTS, blood cleaver, or ward save of some sort
bsb - rune maw
bruiser - stubborn helm

Da GoBBo
13-10-2010, 21:14
The reasons for keeping the units so small is threefold:
1: To make them really cheap.
2: I have found that six more attacks doesn`t make that much of a difference. Six Bulls still have problems breaking units.
3: To keep the frontage narrow, so I can send in reinforcements.

Aye, cheap they are. This edition we have a new problem though, we strike last versus most units out there. Expect to loose a few Ogres (due to shooting and close combat) before landing your first blow. This more than anything is a really good reason to have bigger units this edition.