PDA

View Full Version : What Codex for Adeptus Mechanicus?

Alaric Stormblade
02-10-2010, 17:47
Hello fellow Techpriests and Fleshlings!
I've been converting some Adeptus Mechanicus Models for some time (Maybe I'll post some pics if you're interested) and though I tried several Codicii I'm not happy with any of them. So here is my question: What Codex would you use for an Ad Mech army?

Here is what I considered:

Daemonhunters/Witch Hunters
I really like the Daemonhunters list, it gives a great armoury featuring combi weapons, good armour and so on. Also it has some great possibilities regarding "counts as" rules: Praetorians as Grey Knights, Skitarii/Techguard as Storm Troopers, Techpriests as Inquisitors.
On the downside it was written for the 3rd Edition and is quite "out dated", you mostly pay more than the newer Codicii...

Imperial Guard
Ruleswise this is offers the newest and thus most balanced rules. There are also plenty of good "counts as" choices: Storm Troopers as Skitarii, Veterans as Protectors, Guardsmen as Techguard (depending on used background). Ogryns as Heavy Combat Servitors...
But the Techpriests are barely covered by the Command Squads and there are no exotic weapon options...

Codex Adeptus Mechanicus (Tim Huckelberry)
This army list was written for 4th Edition. It has a lot of interesting choices, but like the Codex Daemonhunters it's outdated by now and I'm not sure about the balancing...

So what would you suggest? Are there any other official Codicii that are suitible for such an army? Or perhaps do you any good fanwork?

Thanks alot,
Alaric

Drakcore Bloodtear
02-10-2010, 17:54
I think Deamon/Witch Hunters are the best option
As they share so many similarities
Exotic weapons
Resonable small armies
And powerful units (To a certain extent)
Witchhunters would be my choice out of the two, with SoB being Skitarii.

However you are right, both Hunters books are out of date but I'd be willing to tolerate this for a generally fun army.

marv335
02-10-2010, 17:57
As always, Witch hunters works best.
It has everything you need

Acts of faith = blassings of the omnissiah
SoB = Skitarii
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers = Tech Guard
Arco Flagellents = Electro Priests
Inquisitors = Magii
Penitent engines = Heavy battle Servitors

To name but a few.

Perfect Organism
02-10-2010, 18:16
Space Marines could work. Scouts as your basic skitarii, sternguard for praetorians, techmarines as techpriests and the master of the forge as your commander.

However, I think it might come down to what your units actually look like. If they are huge and hulking with lots of armour, then marines would work, but if they are smaller and look more human scaled, then another codex is probably a better choice.

MajorWesJanson
02-10-2010, 19:40
I like Space Wolves. Dreadnought HQ, lots of HQ options for Magos, Blood claws and Grey Hunters for various tech guard and skitarii, Wolf Guard for heavier units, ability to mix guard into lesser units, Iron Priests and Wolf Priests for support units- Jaws makes a decent counts-as conversion beamer.

razcalking
02-10-2010, 20:42
If you're basing your model choices on the codex chosen, I wouldn't do Daemonhunters just for the fact that they're rumoured to be redone fairly soon.

I'd go with Imperial Guard for the up-to-dateness and wide variety of unit choices.

Lord Damocles
02-10-2010, 21:37
Entirely dependant on what 'type' of Mechanicus force you're going for.

If you want 4th ed. Rulebook style Skitarii as humans with basic bionic augmentations, backed up by Cataphractarii formations, then Codex: Imperial Guard is probably best.

If on the other hand you want Skitarii as gene-enhanced warriors with in-built gatling cannons and suspensor shields, then Witch Hunters or Daemonhunters.

If you want an explorator type force with lots of small Priest-led units, then one of the 'Hunters again as Inquisitors/Lords and their hangers-on are nice and customisable.

Bunnahabhain
02-10-2010, 22:13
A further option possible option, as mentioning the Codex: AM seems to imply you're open to not simple options.

Guard, with FW bits. Kreig breaching drills, for example. Also include some of the rarer bits of the main codex, such as deathstrikes. That should give you enough options to cover just about anything....

squeekenator
02-10-2010, 22:30
You can always play Guard with allied Inquisitorial units as the fancier and more exotic AdMech troops, to get the best of both worlds.

DeviantApostle
03-10-2010, 03:48
How about Orks?

Boyz as combat servitors, tons of wierd and wonderful guns and rules...

Alaric Stormblade
03-10-2010, 08:00
Thanks very much!

As most of you suggest the Inquisition I might give it another try.

Since some of you asked about the style of my army: I started it around a pre heresy campaign I game mastered at our local store so I should end up with something like in Mechanicum.
I've got a 40k game tomorrow, so I'll use the chance to take some pics to show you what I've got so far.

Thanks again,
Alaric

Yresk
03-10-2010, 16:21
i would say that the most fitting would be the 4th edition imperial guard because you can give them carapace armour and bionic enhancments that give them a good armoursave and the bionic thing is just for the story. give htem close order drill to simulate the more or less brain dead servants just lining up to shoot as soon as the order was given. top of with a tech priest and youve got the heart of it.
to symbolise more of a tech priest army ally with a inquisitor so you can simulate the harder types of technightmares that the mechanicus can do.

but of corse this is wishfull thinking as we can not use that edition any more:rolleyes: