PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use a Warlord on a Bonebreaker

Lupercus
02-10-2010, 19:23
Hey there all. I have been wondering where the best place to put a Skaven Warlord mounted on a Rat Ogre Bonebreaker is within a Skaven army, and what the best use to use him within that context would be. Pretty basic question, I suppose, but I am curious as to where this chap belongs within the army, and how to best utilize him.

Lupercus

Korraz
02-10-2010, 19:35
Run him in Rat Ogres and Smash Stuff.

Have another WL, trimmed for Survivability, as LD-Giver.

Chaos Undecided
02-10-2010, 19:41
Unless you are planning on fielding a substantial unit of Rat Ogres I'm not convinced a bonebreaker is a very good option unless you're real good at passing ward saves.

A War Litter would be a safer if slightly more mundane option in my opinion

Lupercus
02-10-2010, 19:42
Very nice, thanks Korraz, that's pretty much what I thought. It would be quite nasty too. I suppose the other Lord choice could also be a Grey Seer, which I might prefer. Of course, the Grey Seer would have to be equipped to be as survivable as possible...

Lupercus

Lupercus
02-10-2010, 19:43
Chaos Undecided: For sure, the War Litter is definitely the more...safe choice, and possible even more useful. However, the Bonebreaker just looks cool, and would be pretty fun.

Lupercus

TheDrugLordX
02-10-2010, 21:54
For sure, the War Litter is definitely the more...safe choice, and possible even more useful. However, the Bonebreaker just looks cool, and would be pretty fun.

Not only does he look cool, but he's smashing in combat!

Played a game today using him (vs VC) with this set up:

Warlord
Bonebreaker
Charmed Shield
Talisman of Perservation
The Other Tricksters Shard
Blade of Corruption

This comes at 255pts.

He was deployed in a clanrat unit. Turn two he charged out of the unit (was a dumb choice actually, I forgot that he didn't succeed in casting a spell hampering the units movement) into a unit of wraiths and smashed 'em up in 2 combat turns. Then he flanked charge his 1000pts unit of graveguards + lord while another clanrat unit failed its charge move. He kept that unit in place for 2 whole turns, killing bunches of the guards before he finally turned tail and ran, only suffering one wound.

He didn't rally but didn't run of the table as the game ended, with me controlling the tower ("Watch Tower" scenario, almost wiping his army). He was a bargain for 255pts!

Though, you have to look out for cannons and such, which is why I carry the Charmed Shield and Storm Banner.

Korraz
02-10-2010, 23:00
Very nice, thanks Korraz, that's pretty much what I thought. It would be quite nasty too. I suppose the other Lord choice could also be a Grey Seer, which I might prefer. Of course, the Grey Seer would have to be equipped to be as survivable as possible...

Lupercus

The Seer works just as fine. Everything depends on the other stuff in the list :D

russellmoo
02-10-2010, 23:15
My composition is-

Warlord, Fellblade, Rat-oger bonebreaker

I field him plus a grey seer-

The warlord goes in a unit of rat ogres and then runs around on the flank- or is placed opposite or the opponents chariot, or monster as this is what he best at- his high initiative plus the fell blade means that even the steam tank has to fear him-

Djekar
03-10-2010, 00:25
My regular skaven opponent is thinking of running the same set up Russellmoo. I'm eagerly anticipating that battle. I think it's a good fit with the Fellblade - you get more wounds (meaning more chances to fail the FB test) and you get more movement (less FB tests ... unless you test even while in combat, but even then I guess you are utilizing the killing power faster) and some decent armor with HA and a shield as well.

Also, since the Bonebreaker is Monstrous Beast (and when ridden uses the rules for Monstrous Cavalry) and Rat Ogres are Monstrous Infantry the Warlord on the Bonebreaker wont actually cop a LO,S! roll from being in a unit of Rat Ogres, making him much more flexible (although more vunerable as well).

The bearded one
03-10-2010, 00:31
I just finished up my bonebreaker, he turned out rather awesome :) ( #2 in a painting comp with him ) , and I'm going to run him with:

bonebreaker mount
shield
world's edge armour
blade of corruption
the other trickster's shard

Were he to get hit by a cannonball, his armour will protect him.

And he'll be in a unit of 5 rat ogres. Let the rampage begin! I've also got a warlord on warlitter in the middle of my battleline for the ld boost, and this warlord just because a rat ogre mount is cool. Funny how people have the same ideas as I had.

Lupercus
03-10-2010, 02:32
Thanks so much for all the wicked build suggestions too, everyone...awesome, awesome stuff. I'm also glad to see that people are in fact running the Bonebreaker Warlord, and LOVING it:) So good.

I'm pretty stoked to see some of you using him in Clanrat units as well...this is perfect. Sure I suppose we'd have to keep an eye out for cannonballs and the like, but that's the price you pay for coolness, I suppose. Clanrats or Rat Ogres, either way, he's still an impressive and cool model, and I can't wait to run my own. I'll most likely going to model three versions of the same Warlord, one on foot, one mounted on a War Litter, and one mounted on a Rat Ogre Bonebreaker...just so I can mix it up at will.

Thanks so much for the ideas and support, everyone! Bonebreakers are waaaaay too cool to not have one!

Lupercus

Lord Dan
03-10-2010, 03:01
My composition is-

Warlord, Fellblade, Rat-oger bonebreaker

I field him plus a grey seer-

The warlord goes in a unit of rat ogres and then runs around on the flank- or is placed opposite or the opponents chariot, or monster as this is what he best at- his high initiative plus the fell blade means that even the steam tank has to fear him-

I think it's awesome that you take the Fellblade.

scarvet
03-10-2010, 05:08
IF you are using Fellbalde, you may as well put him along with tunneling Night runners, they are movement 6 as well.

But a Skaven warloard that cost more the 200pts? No thanks

Lupercus
04-10-2010, 20:12
Thanks again for all the thoughts regarding the Bonebreaker everyone...I'm pretty much determined to use one now:) Now, I didn't really want to start another thread just for this topic, but I have another question, perhaps much more important to the well-being of the entire Skaven army.

When it comes to the various units, how wide do you suggest making the ranks? 5 wide? 6 wide? 7 wide? Of course, I'm sure this varies from unit to unit as well. Basically, I'm wondering about this for:
Clanrats
Skavenslaves
Stormvermin
Plague Monks

That's basically most of the infantry units available to us, but if you could give your thoughts as to unit width regarding each of them, I'd be most grateful. Thanks again!

Lupercus

magicmonkey
04-10-2010, 20:21
i would recommend about 6 wide and 5 or 6 ranks deep for res.
and as for the bonebreaker my friend has one and is asking me a non skaven player who plays little this question, and saying queek hadtaker is better. he only has it because of a spur of the momen lets convert something feeling we had. advice would be nice for me as well.

Lupercus
04-10-2010, 20:43
Thanks very much, magicmonkey, that's about what I was thinking in terms of unit width, 6 definitely seems about right. As far as how many ranks deep, I definitely agree with your 5 or 6 suggestion too....although in some cases I'm thinking that it might even be wise or necessary to make the unit even larger. Thanks, Mr. moneky!

Lupercus

scarvet
04-10-2010, 20:55
Plague Monk Horde is pretty scary, just look at Ghoul Horde, but more attacks from the front. Along with Razor/Plague banner they cause LOTS of pain.

Otherwise just stick with 5 wide, Skaven ain't famous for straight fight.

Lupercus
04-10-2010, 21:02
Thanks, scarvet, that's a really good point too. In that vein, would 6 wide be a waste, in your opinion? I mean, honestly I'm thinking that the regardless of the other units, Skavenslaves will be kept 5 wide, considering they're there simply to, well, die.

I do really like the idea of a Plague Monk horde. Would that still be suitable with a Plague Furnace thrown in there?

scarvet
04-10-2010, 21:08
6/7 Wide is good when you think you have leverage in casualties which I cannot think of......

Especially with a Furnace that take 3 models wide for you may friend; however I am not sure if the Furnace would last.....

magicmonkey
05-10-2010, 20:18
well it depends on the unit and banners+characters, if you have a high hitting unit with strong banners and characters you can afford to be wider as you get more attacks and less res, but in slaves and probably clan rats you need to stick pretty small and hit the flanks with a larger/ stronger unit like rat ogres or a doomwheel while they provide number and res.