PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Weapon Teams - help!

TheDrugLordX
02-10-2010, 23:20
So I've played about 15 games of 8th with my skaven now, and I'm having real trubbles with my weapon teams.

They tend to kill more of my army than of the enemys army. When they, occasionally, do not kill me they don't meet up to their points, not ever.

Rattling guns & Warpfire Throwers tend to always be short of range, or when close enough everything is in combat.

Plague Wind Mortars have the range, but their destructive capabilities seem pretty redundant.

I have yet to try out the Doom Flayer, but with all the other weapon teams disappointing performance I will try them out very soon. However, they seem to be really terrible against elite armies.

Even with 150-200pts of complete failure, I've won all but one of my games. So it's not that I'm struggling, I just want some advice on how to use these WMDs properly, as I hear everywhere how powerful they are. I know many of you will suggest using droves of skavenslaves, though there must exist other good tactics (or generall "guidelines") on using the weapon teams?

Thanks.

russellmoo
03-10-2010, 01:04
Weapons teams work best if you tend to play defensively- so advance on your first turn if at all- then wait for the enemy to get in range- then instead of charging fire your weapon teams-

If you tend to play aggressively- then maybe field some wind mortars- or grinders.

Djekar
03-10-2010, 01:19
My regular skaven opponent uses them in a sort of "wave" strategy where his slaves advance in front to "bravely face" the foe("that is why in chess the pawns go first"). The weapon teams hang out around the clanrats and fire into combats with the slaves/ at fast elements of my army/ anything else they can see/reach. And usually a lone ratling gun hanging out forgotten for most of the game is enough to **** me off late in the game when severely depleted units are rushing about.

Overall the most feared by me (Greenskins and WoC) are the Warpfire Throwers followed closely by the Warp Grinders. He hasn't used any Doomflayers since he hasn't converted anything up yet, but I have a feeling those will make "the list" when they finally get fielded.

I hope some of that knowledge from the other side helps!

Kevlar
03-10-2010, 02:46
warpfire throwers work best marching along either flank next to a slave unit. Possibly with their main unit right behind to give them a ward save. Lock something in combat with the slaves, and roast it for a few turns with the WFT while your clanrats and other stuffs get into position for the flank charge.

Feefait
03-10-2010, 04:44
Ratling guns are kind of a waste of points now. Just don't hit enough with the short range and misfires are too deadly.
Doomflayers rock against low initiative armies.
Mortars are, in my opinon, the best. Move and fire, range and no armor saves. rock on.
Warpfire throwers are all or nothing now. They hit big or completely miss. I've used WF's as long as they've existed, but finding myself leaving them out now.

As has been mentioned, best bet is to tie up a unit with slaves and then blast away. Slaves with SiN and a nearby general, bsb won't be going anywhere. I never ask for more then a round or two of shooting out of my teams anyway, so rather than looking at the points they've killed I look at how my enemy has had to redirect or change their strategy to deal with them. If they have to sacrifice a spell or two killing them it saves ranks of clanrats, so thats kind of worth it right there.

Fish-Dead
03-10-2010, 17:37
I was planning on, when I finish constructing my army, building a slave/heavy weapons team combo. Basically, throw slaves in the middle to block off/charge bait, and pelt the enemy/slaves with as many rattling shots/Jezzail shots as possible until they could close the distance. In practice will be another thing altogether though...

SlaaneshSlave
03-10-2010, 18:50
I was planning on, when I finish constructing my army, building a slave/heavy weapons team combo. Basically, throw slaves in the middle to block off/charge bait, and pelt the enemy/slaves with as many rattling shots/Jezzail shots as possible until they could close the distance. In practice will be another thing altogether though...
In my practice, this works amazingly well; but I use WFT, Plague Claw Catapult, WLCannon, & magic. I suspect Rattling/Jezzail will let you down except in cases on very small cav units.

EDIT:
Example from yesterday... Unit of 15 Empire Knights with Karl Franz, Warrior Priest, BSB, Lvl4 Wizard, & Lvl 2 Wizard. Yes, a single unit of 20 cav with 1+ saves, MR, Immune to Psych, Stubborn, etc... Never made it through my wall of slaves. Game ended with just Karl (who took a wound) & the BSB left. And I only lost 2 units of Slaves.