PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Power Scroll

knightime98
03-10-2010, 09:22
The Power Scroll says that any double is irresistible force.
That part is fine. The second part is that it says "(and a miscast)"

I find it very funny how they put it in parenthesis.

This is my question, does this mean that it is a miscast only if more than
2 - 6's are rolled.. OR does it mean that if you get the irresistible you always get a miscast.

It's just nefarious how GW deliberately put it like that. It just begs the question.

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything right off. If it is faq'd then just let me know where to find it..

Many thanks!

Yrrdead
03-10-2010, 09:25
That was their attempt to clarify the item. Basically you will IF and miscast on any doubles. As opposed to say some of the other arcane items out there that allow you to IF on doubles without the miscast (Book of Hoeth).

Makrar
03-10-2010, 09:26
The Power Scroll says that any double is irresistible force.
That part is fine. The second part is that it says "(and a miscast)"

I find it very funny how they put it in parenthesis.

This is my question, does this mean that it is a miscast only if more than
2 - 6's are rolled.. OR does it mean that if you get the irresistible you always get a miscast.

It's just nefarious how GW deliberately put it like that. It just begs the question.

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything right off. If it is faq'd then just let me know where to find it..

Many thanks!

You suffer a miscast on any roll of a double (not sure about double 1 tho)

knightime98
03-10-2010, 09:28
That's what I thought at first but with the parenthesis it seems to elude to the fact that it might mean a special case.

The next item under it.. The Wand of Jet has the same reference exactly. It drives me nuts. Why didn't they just say - IF AND Miscast without that (...miscast)!

Thanks for the quick input.

Atrahasis
03-10-2010, 10:23
I can't see how there's any confusion. The brackets are superfluous, but I can't see how anyone could possibly take from that that the miscast would only happen on a double 6.

knightime98
03-10-2010, 10:36
It's quite simple really.
In mathematics, chemistry, and physics anytime you have a parenthesis it means a special operation. In some cases, it happens immediately and in others only if certain conditions are met. In short, it makes it seem like there is more to the story than what has been told.

I had mistakenly thought that the "(... miscast)" was a special operation that meant that it would only occur as if it were a normal miscast - being two 6's and exempting the other set of 5 doubles. My evidence is the fact that they put the side information in parenthesis. If they did not do that - then there would be no question. Kind of like it was an option or something.

Anyhow, making a mountain out of mole hill here. So, we all got it straight now.

Thanks all.