PDA

View Full Version : Giant base size

Spellscape
03-10-2010, 10:15
Hi all

Is there any base of the same size like new giant have?
I have OOP Marauder Giant with old monster sized base - do I need to change it to be like new giant has?
What about Tomb Kings Giant - he also has monster sized base.

SiNNiX
03-10-2010, 21:00
There's nothing saying you have to, but I would.

Korraz
03-10-2010, 22:15
Change it to the current size.

Always use the base the current model is shipped with. High Elf Dragons on big bases, Wood Elf Dragons on the big Monsterbases, and so on.

decker_cky
03-10-2010, 23:00
No need to resize it. So long as it's an appropriate base and isn't abusive, it's fine. The metal giants came on 50mm bases and by the rules, that's the legal base for them.

Chris_
03-10-2010, 23:34
Change it to the current size.

Always use the base the current model is shipped with. High Elf Dragons on big bases, Wood Elf Dragons on the big Monsterbases, and so on.This is probably what you should do. The "Warhammer Giant" comes with a Chariot base if I am not mistaken?

Spellscape
03-10-2010, 23:40
no,Giant base is 50X75 mm

SiNNiX
04-10-2010, 00:02
Just use the base the model comes with. If your Giant comes in a 50x75 base, use that. If it comes with a 50x50 base (like the Bone Giant), use that.

If you're not sure what base it came with, and you can't find it online, use a 50x50 base as standard for most monsters. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Korraz
04-10-2010, 00:27
No need to resize it. So long as it's an appropriate base and isn't abusive, it's fine. The metal giants came on 50mm bases and by the rules, that's the legal base for them.

Problem is, the smaller base is in some ways abusive. Setting the guy on the proper base is just using common sense to avoid unnecessary arguments.

It's the same thing with the old, floor crawling hydra. That's why I placed them on rocks, to make them at least somewhat as high as the current ones.

Djekar
04-10-2010, 07:51
I had this same problem with my own Giant and Daemon Prince - the newer models have bigger bases. It sucks, but I guess that's how it works sometimes.

Little Joe
04-10-2010, 08:32
I changed the base size to the generic plastic giants base by adding a 25x50mm base to the front. No need for rebasing, just superglue it there, fill gap with green stuff and make it a nice scenery base. A giant is a giant in my opinion and should be on the same base. Otherwise you have issues with templates, magic, falling over, models in contact for CC. Gives less reason to argue and more fun.

SiNNiX
04-10-2010, 08:38
I changed the base size to the generic plastic giants base by adding a 25x50mm base to the front. No need for rebasing, just superglue it there, fill gap with green stuff and make it a nice scenery base. A giant is a giant in my opinion and should be on the same base. Otherwise you have issues with templates, magic, falling over, models in contact for CC. Gives less reason to argue and more fun.

While there's nothing wrong with this at all, I just wouldn't do it. I don't expect anyone to tamper with the models they've had for years just because the size of bases is becoming more varied. When the day comes that it's an official rule of what needs to be on what size base, then I'll say something. Until then, I don't mind what bases people use unless they're decreasing the size of the base.

DaemonReign
04-10-2010, 17:55
In our group we find that the only sane way of dealing with this issue is to say that all Monsters are concidered to have 50mm square bases.

We haven't gotten around to painting that High Dragon but once we do we certainly won't pretend it's a goddamn chariot from the flank.. Same with the Giant.. 50x75mm ?!

Ridiculous..

This "use whatever base is in the package" is just.. I can't find the right word right now.. Safe to say to our group it just doesn't cut it as basis for Rules that are supposed to be, at least at their most naked basic nature, fair.

BigbyWolf
04-10-2010, 18:15
This "use whatever base is in the package" is just.. I can't find the right word right now.. Safe to say to our group it just doesn't cut it as basis for Rules that are supposed to be, at least at their most naked basic nature, fair.

I can think of two words: "GW Endorsed". I submitted a similar query to them a while ago and they told me to use whatever base the model came with, no matter how old it is. Galrauch comes on a base smaller than the HE dragon (or he did a couple of years ago when I bought him), and was no issue when taken to a GW tounament, likewise my old S-figure dragons are on smaller bases as well, and no-one bats an eyelid at them.

That being said I wouldn't have a problem popping the existing base onto something larger if people really started to whine about it.