PDA

View Full Version : What effect will the new DE codex have?

Commissar Davis
03-10-2010, 12:52
What affect do people think they will have?
They have good anti-tank and 'if' the rumours are right and their basic weapons get poison, won't that just push people to go mechanised, and run the AT?

How else may they affect the game?

Madfool2
03-10-2010, 12:57
Not sure, but we can be sure there'll be a major complaint list of "Over-powered" and then it'll be dispelled after 2 weeks of release or something.

TBH I'm hoping that they can at least dent the mech meta currently around.

Mini77
03-10-2010, 13:00
Th effect that DE will have will be that there will be plenty of cheap Space Wolves and Blood Angels on eBay come November.

Chaos Undecided
03-10-2010, 13:01
If they play anything like they used to they'll probably discourage Mech more than anything their ability to spam lance weapons makes them very good at destroying vehicles. Hordes always seemed more of a problem for them but then their weaponry does seem to have evolved to cope better with this to. Guess I'll just wait til I see the new improved version on the field of battle to decide for sure.

viking657
03-10-2010, 13:05
I've got a funny feeling that they are really going to make a mess of the kind of builds of various armies we see at moment.

Of course rather than adapt people will instead complain of how overpowered they are..

Radium
03-10-2010, 13:08
I don't think the effect will be that obvious. Mech will still be king (sure, lance spam can kill vehicles, but so can IG), and the current razorspam lists will endure for at least another couple of months. The biggest impact I can see DE having is Tyranids will start leaving the monsters at home, and IG will probably leave the last of the russes at home.

Shamana
03-10-2010, 13:16
I expect that they might tilt the balance of the big guns a bit more towards lower-strength, high-rate weapons such as autocannons, assault cannons, Ion cannons, and away from meltas. If their point costs don't go into the stratosphere, they would be able to field a decent number of models and boast a lot of cover/invulnerable saves, but their armor values would be easy to meet even with medium-strength weapons.

As for their effect on other's mech, I'm not so sure how great it would be. Currently the trend is towards quality, not quantity. A chimera or razorback doesn't care about the lance rule, and no raider appreciates a multilaser or heavy bolter fire on its paintjob.

Bondoid3
03-10-2010, 13:45
However you might see less Assault Terminators.

Wyches, even current wyches shred an equal points worth of terminators.

DeviantApostle
03-10-2010, 14:03
I expect about 3-6 months of whining about how OP Dark Eldar are, depending on how OP Grey Knights are. Then everyone will get a handle on them and realize that they fall over in anything stronger than a stiff breeze and they can win if they survive the alpha strike. At which point, DE players will change over to an Alpha/Beta strike list that brings a second wave when they drop the warp portal and everything will even out. Of course, until then we'll place highly in tournaments because people aren't as used to us.

However, I think AutoLas predators and LR Crusaders will find their day along with Relic Blades. We're already seeing LasPlas razorbacks around the place, we'll see more soon enough. We MIGHT (it's a big might) see a decrese in the use of heavy weapons in Tac squads and/or an increase in the use of combat squads.

Now, I don't want to get too crazy, but we might see more use of Vindicators, Demolishers and other short range but OMFG powerful weapons. Nothing says 'go away' like a Demolisher cannon or three. With a Dozer blade in cover? That's the kind of objective I'm going to think twice about assaulting. The melta rule ain't gonna help me outside 1/2 range and lance is barely better.

Commissar Davis
03-10-2010, 14:12
Yeah, I find a good gunline can hurt DE at present, and Master of the Fleet can really ruin their day, as can Dreads and Sentinels. The new codex seems to be offering greater options, not considering anything OP, but its really looking like its going to put the hurt on hoard lists as well as mech. Looks like they are going to be a lot harder to pick off in shooting to.