PDA

View Full Version : Riders and mosterous mount 8th

goodz
03-10-2010, 16:34
Hi,

i am not sure how the rules for this work now, I seem to recall the wounds being lumped together? or is that just for non monstrous mounts.

How would you allocate hits for sisters of twighlight on forest dragon?

CommonPirate
03-10-2010, 16:43
Heyo,

The way I understand it now is that there are two classifications that a mount for characters can be in the BRB. Either a:

1) Monster: which follows all the old rules from 7th edition where each model has their own wound profile and you allocate hits between rider and mount like normal.

2) Monstrous Beast: Which each has their own profile except that the wound value is the higher of the two (Ex. Balthasar Gelt riding his Pegasus no longer has 6 wounds between him and his mount. He only has 3 and you don't randomise now as its just a single model).

This works out well for Hero level characters when riding mounts like pegasi and such as most of the time as the characters essentially gain an extra wound.

SiNNiX
03-10-2010, 18:54
You roll to hit as normal, then randomize to see how many hits each model takes. 1-4 hits the Monster. 5-6 hits the rider. In the case of two or more riders, randomize further the scores of 5-6. Templates automatically hit both the rider and the Monster (except for templates with two separate Strengths, like stone throwers, in which case you randomize to see which model takes the higher Strength hit while the other takes the lower Strength).

Each model retains their original Wound count. Therefore, Arahan and Naestra have 2 Wounds each, while Ceithin-Har has 6 Wounds.

When a character rides a cavalry mount or warbeast, the mount's Wounds are never factored in, only the rider's. When the rider is slain, the mount is gone as well as it is assumed to have fled th battle. When mounted on a monstrous cavalry or monstrous beast, choose the highest Wound count between the rider and the mount.

Skjoldr
03-10-2010, 19:08
Nevermind, was reading the wrong section.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2010, 19:14
CommonPirate has it right. For characters riding monsters hits are randomised. For characters riding monstrous beasts, they become monstrous cavalry and use the highest wounds characteristic of the different profiles, and this is the model's maximum wounds, so you can only ever remove the whole model, not parts of it. It's on page 83 under Monstrous cavalry.

AMWOOD co
03-10-2010, 19:16
Characters actually have several options for what they can ride.

1. Infantry (eg the Palanquin), the character is still infantry and by RAW would simply gain the additional attacks of the mount and any special rules associated (I'm looking at you, Dwarf Shieldbearers). This is very rare (I can only think of 2 such mounts) and as such is not actually covered in the Warhammer rulebook. I would likely houserule to give +1 armour as it is the same for all mounts (shieldbearers already give an armour bonus, so they don't need it).

2. War Beast (eg a horse), the character becomes a cavalry type and follows all the rules for cavalry. All damage is worked out against the character alone. See cavalry Unit Type.

3. Monstrous Beast (eg a pegasus), the character becomes a Monstrous Cavalry type and follows all the rules for Monstrous Beasts and Cavalry. Yes, in this case, the number of wounds of the character is equal to the highest wound count between him and his mount, but all damage will be resolved against the character with this new wound value.

4. Monster (eg a dragon), the character and mount are a Monster Type. The rules for this are almost the same as before (he now gets +1 armour is a 'major' change) and are described in detail starting on page 105.

5. Chariot (eg Boar Chariot), the character is a chariot type and follows the same rules as riding a monster except his mount doesn't roll on the monster reaction table.

SiNNiX
03-10-2010, 19:42
Wow, I guess Gwindalor is a Monster...

Q. If both twins are killed, is Ceithin-Har or Gwindalor allowed a
Leadership test before it reacts according to a 5-6 on the Monster
Reaction table? (p75)
A. No, apply result 5-6 straight away.

That's crazy.

Brady
03-10-2010, 19:44
I agree with Nixonasdeamonprince, when riding a monstrous beast (like a great eagle) then the mount and rider is counted as one model but using the wounds of the highest value. For example if a high elf BSB rides a great eagle he will have 3 wounds instead of 2.

SiNNiX
03-10-2010, 20:56
I agree with Nixonasdeamonprince, when riding a monstrous beast (like a great eagle) then the mount and rider is counted as one model but using the wounds of the highest value. For example if a high elf BSB rides a great eagle he will have 3 wounds instead of 2.

Right. My point is that because the unit type of Gwindalin is never specified, and because of the Q&A of the WE FAQ, Gwindalin must be a monster. Gwindalin makes Thunder Stomp attacks... HAHA!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2010, 22:23
Right. My point is that because the unit type of Gwindalin is never specified, and because of the Q&A of the WE FAQ, Gwindalin must be a monster. Gwindalin makes Thunder Stomp attacks... HAHA!

Yeah you're right. I suppose if they specified that Gwindalin is a monstrous beast then you would get into complications of whether the twins have 3 wounds combined or 3 wounds separate (6 wounds in total). Nice with the Thunder Stomp though.

SiNNiX
04-10-2010, 00:07
Yeah you're right. I suppose if they specified that Gwindalin is a monstrous beast then you would get into complications of whether the twins have 3 wounds combined or 3 wounds separate (6 wounds in total). Nice with the Thunder Stomp though.

As it wouldn't be specified, they'd have 3 Wounds each which would be hilarious. Now you're gonna see every WE 'Ard Boyz lists comprised of the Sisters of Twilight for the S4 Thunder Stomp hotness...