PDA

View Full Version : Dark eldar terrain.

Gharnukk
03-10-2010, 16:50
Hey, this maybe seems stupid but as I have never played Dark eldar before or know their history. But my idea is that they raid other planets and purge them. And I was wondering what suitable terrain would be for them. Ruined buildings, destroyed tank, dead bodies or even strange red plants growing? Please share what you think is fitting.

Thanks

Cuchulain84
03-10-2010, 16:52
Hey, this maybe seems stupid but as I have never played Dark eldar before or know their history. But my idea is that they raid other planets and purge them. And I was wondering what suitable terrain would be for them. Ruined buildings, destroyed tank, dead bodies or even strange red plants growing? Please share what you think is fitting.

Thanks

Well, you are right, they never fight on their own soil (Commorragh, a city in the Webway), so really it could be anything anywhere...

Gharnukk
03-10-2010, 17:00
That's what I was hoping for. I was thinking of getting a realm of battle, throw in some moonskapes, ruins and some barricades and walls and then use the vines and leafs from the basing kit and paint them dark red. Think that it can turn out pretty cool.

Jokaero!
03-10-2010, 18:59
As Cuchulain84 said, anything, anywhere.

Maybe look at some themed objective markers that fit in with your army and terrain. Some civilians in distress (slaves in waiting) would be cool.

Gharnukk
03-10-2010, 20:08
Yeah, that sounds good Jokaero. Maybe some puny humans, Tau or Orks. Thanks for the tip!

Raibaru
04-10-2010, 00:41
I haven't tried it, but I was planning on just using standard grass, rubble, and stuff like that and try to put a couple coats of black wash on it to give the impression they're attacking at night.

Short of that, I'm just going with rubble.

On a side comment, some people mention a 3rd party flying base that blows the socks off of GW's ones. Anyone know what they are? I haven't played in years, but if GW is still using the same stuff that they used back then, my skimmers will be flying really close to the ground.

Important
04-10-2010, 07:13
I once saw a guy who made DE terrain by making mass graves of captured enemy soldiers from different factions. Civilians decorated on imperial buildings would be neat too.

lazy.sarge
04-10-2010, 07:26
Cages of slaves? Blood splattered ruins? Piles of limbs? Torture rooms/chambers?

Inquisitor Engel
04-10-2010, 07:29
If you want to get interesting, there's a story in "Tales of Heresy" where some Space Wolves (of the 13th Company IIRC) help the local populace of a planet fight off some Dark Eldar raiders who return every generation or so for "sacrifices."

These DE had a large 'spire' tower sort of thing that was sealed from the inside and was their base of operations. Presumably it had large, large numbers of webway portals within it. It was destroyed at the end of the story but it's not outside the realm of possibility that the Dark Eldar do have these sort of 'slave worlds' with bases of operations for when their needs must....

Go nuts man, Dark Elf looking terrain should do nicely.

nedius
04-10-2010, 08:34
If you want the 'raid' theme, then I'd try to make some intact buildings - perhaps some that look like a small settlement?

Think about what sort of settlement you want - mineral prospecting, agricultural etc, and build a terrain set about that idea.

Gharnukk
04-10-2010, 08:48
Thank you for all the replies, it all sounds great!

Grimmeth
04-10-2010, 11:31
You could check some of the buildings and styles from Dawn of War: Soulstorm as well. The Dark Eldar are a race on thre and have building and such.

Pictures on this link:
http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/index.php?title=Dark_Eldar

Yresk
04-10-2010, 11:39
since the rule book always states that the dark eldar are on the offense fighting on "their ground" is not realy that feasable. but the universe is a good big place so that someone pushing the dark eldar back they could defently be fighting on their own ground. they probably dont have a large amount of buildings but they still need ammo dumps, repair facilitys and the like. so what about these terrain pieces?

prisoner containment facilitys annything from a simple cage to a anti gravity field that holds them still untill they are ready to be shiped of.

repair facility. they need to be on the moove but think a raider that is twice as long and has extra engines to carry replacement parts. this would be an imoble thing because the big engines takes time to charge up. but maybe with some rules. nothing is set in stone

massive shadow field generator. the dark eldar need to stay in the dark. to protect themselves from overhead satelites. they have built a massive power generator that sends out some type of energy field that disturbes the satelites so the enemy never really knows where they are. could in game maybe provide cover for the closeby models

gladiator pit. they fight all the time to keep their skills up.

a mass grave from the battle? with bodies everywhere like important said. that would be aswsome

Gharnukk
04-10-2010, 11:58
Thanks for the tip, I was at my local Warhammer shop this morning and looked at the terrain they had. But since they can fight everyone, everywhere there is so much to buy! I'm thinking of some imperial buildings and the battlescape. My fellow Ork player should have terrain of his own I think. And ofcourse some miniatures from the other factions for slaves/casualties.

Souleater
04-10-2010, 12:09
You can always have a webway gate for them to defend. DE would be just as keen to prevent other races entering the Webway as the CWE.

Grimmeth
04-10-2010, 13:42
Until the new codex comes out (and some actual background!) it's quite hard to say just how Dark Eldar society works - I personally find it hard to believe they all live in Commoragh (sp?)
Therefore they could well have some outposts elsewhere in the galaxy, and the other races would all have some reason to attack that if it were found.

Latro_
04-10-2010, 15:16
Aye DE are less likely to fight on some muddy trench ridden razor wire laden battle field against a bunch of kreig guardsmen.

A nice themed set of terrain would be a small town, very unscathed by war, like they are making a lighting raid from no where for slaves or resources.

How about a small tau settlement? the contrast would be pretty cool and a challenge to make.

AlphariusOmegon20
04-10-2010, 15:22
You could always use these as Objectives, the same way Sm's had their casualty models.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440237a&prodId=prod1110275

loveless
04-10-2010, 15:30
Someone has already mentioned Dawn of War: Soulstorm, but I want to second at least a part of it:

The Torture Pit(?) with the Gruesome Display upgrade is just gorgeous - effectively a circular, bladed building with three upward-reaching branches, a cage with a decaying corpse held at the end of each branch.

The Soul Cage from Soulstorm is another amazing-looking structure - though it is somewhat reminiscent of the Riddler's lair from Batman Forever.

Gharnukk
04-10-2010, 16:36
Yeah, the Dawn of war stuff would look great. Not easy to make though.
But buildings and slaves is a must have to my battlefield.

Souleater
04-10-2010, 17:00
One day I'm going to try and make a Dark City Themed City Fight board. And who knows...there might even be other Dark Eldar players to fight against on it! :D

Or White Scars ;)

Gharnukk
05-10-2010, 08:13
That sounds like a cool idea ;)

Bondoid3
05-10-2010, 14:16
On a side comment, some people mention a 3rd party flying base that blows the socks off of GW's ones. Anyone know what they are? I haven't played in years, but if GW is still using the same stuff that they used back then, my skimmers will be flying really close to the ground.

http://www.s6engineering.co.uk/accessories.html

Gharnukk
05-10-2010, 21:08
What du you think about using the temple of skulls as an sacrificial altar? Could be cool

Deathwing_Matt
05-10-2010, 22:11
A Sarlac pit to go with those raiders? ;)

The DoW buildings are a good start, maybe consider changing a few bits to fit a little better with the new DE aesthetic.

Maybe also take a look at some CWE buildings from DoW

http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/index.php?title=Eldar

Not quite as 90s spiky and still quite corruptable...

TyphoonBoon
05-10-2010, 22:17
Orks, puny, I sir laugh at you for some slanderous acusations :skull:

Col. Tartleton
06-10-2010, 01:40
I think a lightly damaged imperial hab block would be great. With all sorts of unwholesome rape of Nanjing mini scenes scattered through it.

Or perhaps because they're raiders, the Upper Hives would be cool for a change. Something like this but more Baroque and Gothic:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=166c57c&s=5

Gharnukk
06-10-2010, 08:35
Ah yes, it seems like there is much to choose from!

Gharnukk
09-10-2010, 10:28
I have evolved my thoughts on the sacrificial altar, I was thinking about putting some barbed wire between the pillars and "hang" corpses on it :D

Hellebore
09-10-2010, 12:38
Most of their terrain is going to be temporary war materiel.

You could do some cool slave pits, gulags, resupply bases. Even soul generators that have dozens of slaves tied up to them having their souls sucked out.

But they'll rarely have permanent structures.

hellebore

Gharnukk
09-10-2010, 13:52
Yeah I guess you're right about that Hellbore. This is hard because they do raids and then leave again :p