PDA

View Full Version : Cauldron of Blood failing a Panic test-What effect, if any?

Venerable_Bede
04-10-2010, 00:08
The Cauldron is now a warmachine (per the FAQ)

A warmachine that fails a panic test can't shoot in its next shooting phase.

A Cauldron doesn't shoot.

Does this mean a Cauldron that fails a Panic Test suffers no effect?

Thanks

SiNNiX
04-10-2010, 00:20
The Cauldron is now a warmachine (per the FAQ)

A warmachine that fails a panic test can't shoot in its next shooting phase.

A Cauldron doesn't shoot.

Does this mean a Cauldron that fails a Panic Test suffers no effect?

Thanks

Yes it does, as it cannot shoot. This is kinda like the whole Siren Song thing on units unable to flee. They're unable to flee, so must charge.

Well... it's kinda similar anyway.

sulla
04-10-2010, 01:35
Kudos on causing the cauldron to fail a panic test in the first place. You must have a) Beaten it in combat to get rid of it's frenzy, then b) lost the combat since it can't take panic tests in cc and if it lost combat and fled, it would be removed, and probably c) made it fail a rerollable Ld9 test (since the cauldron is usually the BSB)...

But other than that, yes, the crew can't shoot but can still bless units...

SiNNiX
04-10-2010, 02:24
Kudos on causing the cauldron to fail a panic test in the first place. You must have a) Beaten it in combat to get rid of it's frenzy, then b) lost the combat since it can't take panic tests in cc and if it lost combat and fled, it would be removed, and probably c) made it fail a rerollable Ld9 test (since the cauldron is usually the BSB)...

The dude's just asking a question, you monster.

sulla
04-10-2010, 05:52
:D Hey, I did congratulate him first! It could of actually happened... I suffered two first turn losses in one night recently. Game1; gatewayed general and unit led to chain panic taking 50% of the remainder of my army off the field. Second game and hellcannons panicked off my general and BSB's units and Kholek's lightning panics off my great bray shaman's unit leaving me with some dog units and 3 chariots... again before I got a turn. Improbable things do happen in games. Dice certainly don't respect odds... :D:D:D

SiNNiX
04-10-2010, 08:36
Dice certainly don't respect odds... :D:D:D

Truer words have never been written. This is why I :rolleyes: when people start using MathHammer in regards to logic.

Lazarian
04-10-2010, 08:58
well to that point mathhammer should only be used as a guide. Anytime i get ready to roll dice i go over in my head about how much of a certain result I could expect (20 bull attacks on my Ogres becoming on average 6 wounds against halberds for example.) However, of course, like anything it gets taken to far, especially if people twiddle their thumbs and get bored on here

theunwantedbeing
04-10-2010, 12:32
The dude's just asking a question, you monster.

Doesn't mean he can't poke fun at how unlikely it is to happen :)

well to that point mathhammer should only be used as a guide.

Mathhammer should only ever be used as a guide.
It's a good way to determine luck as well, if your supposd to be doing say...15 wounds and take 2 in return and instead do 1 wound and suffer 12 in return, you can say without any shadow of a doubt that luck was not on your side that fight. (presuming the mathhammer was accuractly done of course!)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
04-10-2010, 12:54
Truer words have never been written. This is why I :rolleyes: when people start using MathHammer in regards to logic.

How can you argue against MathHammer? If done correctly, then it gives you the statistical averages, and I don't see how these can be argued against. They won't obviously be the actual results in every circumstance due to their very nature of simply being averages, but they are the most logical way to predict results.

Synnister
05-10-2010, 02:23
A buddy with horrible luck, wants to do away with dice in combat. Just use averages. Sounds kinda interesting especially when my other buddy makes 6 armor/ward saves when on average he should have failed 2 :( Stupid chaos!!

Venerable_Bede
05-10-2010, 02:57

The Cauldron can be the BSB?

stripsteak
05-10-2010, 03:06
i don't see why not. a Death Hag has both the option to be the bsb and the option to take a cauldron

sulla
05-10-2010, 03:54
The Cauldron can be the BSB?Can and generally should be. You definately don't want to risk your fragile t3 BSB in combat if you can at all help it. The cauldron lets you avoid that nasty situation. Sadly, 8th edition is no place for elven combat characters (with a small number off exceptions).

fastcarfreak
05-10-2010, 06:03
nevermind. Was a little too hasty.

T10
05-10-2010, 08:24

According to Mathhammer my Verminlord should be slaughtering Ogres left, right and center. Except he can't hit nuthin'!

-T10

RanaldLoec
05-10-2010, 10:24
According to math hammer my empire knights should live allot longer and Karl franz should hit allot more than he does my cannons should not misfire ever other roll and my mortars shouldn't scatter 10 every bloody turn even with an engineer reroll.

Mathhammer meh.

Plus the dice most people use will not be perfectly weighted and as a result will naturally favour certain numbers. I'm having to buy a whole new set as we've noticed my dice roll lots of 1, 2, 5 and 6 but not many 3 or 4. Although some of my dice are older than my 14 year old brother!

Tregar
05-10-2010, 10:54
People who diss mathshammer just don't understand it. Like a guy who charged a unit of my Night Goblin Archers with his Vermin Lord. He did 3 wounds and lost combat due to musician. "But he should have won, he's a Greater Daemon and you're rubbish Goblins!" If he'd done the maths he'd have seen that was a losing proposition, especially with the Squig Hoppers perfectly positioned to charge his rear at that point...

Surgency
05-10-2010, 15:31
especially with the Squig Hoppers perfectly positioned to charge his rear at that point...

Thats not mathhammer, thats situational awareness

Tregar
05-10-2010, 18:01
It is maths if you are presuming to not be in place for a charge based on the false expectation that you will win combat and run down something...