PDA

View Full Version : Starting Woodies

puckus10
04-10-2010, 00:40
Hi all,
I made a post about woodies a little while ago but now i got my army book and am going to try my first list.

Here it is:

Core-820

12 Dryads with Branch Nymph (156)
12 Dryads with Branch Nymph (156)
20 Glade Guard with FC (254)
20 Glade Guard with FC (254)

Heroes-370

1 Branchwraith with lvl1 (115)
1 Branchwraith with lvl1 (115)
1 Wardancer noble with Amaranthine Brooch (140)

Lord-305
Spellsinger(beasts) with Enchanted Shield, Glamourweave, Starfire arrows, Divination Orb (305)

Total 1495

I'll just say it: i hate these small games!! However, i feel this list is necessary so i can get a good feel for my two favorites; GG and Dryads. I have always liked kind of outnumbered armies and this one seems good! The branhwraiths go in the dryad units and the spellsinger in a unit of GG. The wardancer noble will stay hidden until someone charges my GG and then ill flank charge them.

Thanks so much!!1

Shamutanti
04-10-2010, 00:46
Dont take Lvl1s on branchwraiths.

The Spellsinger can't take armour and must ride a unicorn or steed if they're going to take Glamourweave (so don't take it).

Take either more dryads or include a unit that's going to actually be the big 'hammer'. Wildriders, Treekin, Wardancers. Something that will make the enemy wince.

The Wardancer hero will get magic missiled - he's better working in a unit than running solo. If you want a solo hero altar them. Starfire arrows are pointless on a Spellsinger.

puckus10
04-10-2010, 02:59
k thanks for the suggestions.

Killingspree
04-10-2010, 04:46
At 20 years old you would think that reading woodies shouldn't make me laugh but god help me, I had to. XD

K/S

thesheriff
04-10-2010, 20:07
Spellweaver should have Lore of life, wand of whych elm, talismain of preservation, Galm kindred, steed.

Dryads are a bit meh, as are branch wariths. Dropping them would get you some treekin and a treeman (1 treeman, 4 treekin)

Glade guard are better in MUS with musicians and standards. The swift reform, ignoring move and fire, S4 Short bows are great in small units of turn and death :p

The wardancer could be changed for a bsb, with the common magic 2+ armour and ironcurse icon, who is about 150ish points.

thesheriff

puckus10
04-10-2010, 20:24
@sherrif: I'll swith to lore of life. But i dont think i can get a steed so no glamourweave :( The dryads look pretty good to me. They look much better than the average troop, they have a 5+ ward, and they skirmish. Also the money is kind of an issue with treekin and treemen! Im sorry but does MSU mean you want me to put them in smaler units? Also i use the wardancer because i like the fluff. what i will do is hid him from view unitil he can flank charge something. Even then he has a pretty good ward save!

puckus10
05-10-2010, 20:19
Revised list:

Core:
12 Dryads with Nymph (156)
12 Dryads with Nymph (156)
10 GG with FC (144)
10 GG with FC (144)
20 GG with FC (264)

Special:
8 Wild Riders with FC (240)

Heroes:
Branch Wraith with LVL 1 (115)
Branch Wraith with LVL 1 (115)
LVL 2 Spellweaver (Beasts), enchanted shield(125)

Total: 1459

Alright so i changed it a little. I got a hammer unit (wild riders) and took out the noble. I made the lvl 3 into a lvl 2 and took beasts (i really like signature spell, strength 5 toughness 5 Dryads seems pretty good! I split the GG iinto 3 units. wat do i do with the last 40 points. I have like 20pts left in heroes so i cant do much there but i want to give spellweaver some sort of protection.

Sounds better?

bluemage
06-10-2010, 02:43
Wild riders aren't really a hammer unit. Only one attack on the change and 2 attacks once you're stuck in and grinding it out. And grinding wars are a battle wildriders will lose given toughness 3 and a 5+ ward. Dryads will do it better and for less points. I really feel like you should drop the branch wraiths. They really aren't that great. I feel you would be better off just taking two more units of dryads for their points cost. I also think you might be better off removing some of the champions from all your units. I just don't think they're really worth the points.

I would use treekin and treeman as hammer units. The treeman can also act as an anvil, since its stubborn.

puckus10
06-10-2010, 19:23
Sorry i cant take beasts on spellweaver. i know that now. I will take your advice and drop the branchwraiths. I could use the extra points for a wardancer noble(really love the fluff behind one guy gracefully choppin stuff up!!) and what else? I should have 80 points left if i put in the old wardancer noble

the gribbly
06-10-2010, 19:57
I agree with most of whats been suggested except for dryads being meh. They are still one of the best troops choices around. Keeping with some of these suggestions and without changing your list very much I would like to suggest the following:

Core:
12 Dryads (144)
12 Dryads (144)
10 GG with std (132)
10 GG with std (132)
20 GG with FC, banner of eternal flame (274)

Special:
5 Wild Riders with std/mus (148)
5 Wild Riders (130)
7 Wardancers (126)

Heroes:
Wardancer Noble, potion of strength, stone of rebirth (155)
LVL 1 spellsinger (athel loren), calaingors stave(115)

Total: 1500

This is very close to your original list and is far more competative while still having the elements you seem to like. Cheers.

puckus10
06-10-2010, 20:26
I like that list alot actually thank you so much gribbly!!!

goodz
07-10-2010, 23:03
Total (1314)

12 Dryads (144)
12 Dryads (144)
10 GG with std musician, (138)
10 GG with std musician, (138)
20 GG with FC, banner of eternal flame (274)

Special: 7 wardancers

Heroes:
Weaver (beast) Talisman of preservation, wand of wych elm. lvl 4 (350)

U can either take your wardancer noble you like, or go back to a branchwraith with the spite of +1 dispel dice and level 1. You also should have musicians on your gladegaurd, the free reform can be nice!

puckus10
07-10-2010, 23:08
K thanks! If i ran this one i would probably put in the Wardancer noble wit potion of strength and stone of rebirth. I would have thirty pints left so i guess i could then have another dancer!

goodz
08-10-2010, 21:45
Ok, I think a noble with HoDA, or BSB might be more useful but i also really like the wardancer noble. I can not recall what you can give him as far as a defensive item, but hopefully something, annoyance of nettling perhaps and just challenge whatever you can, and magic wardancer weapons? Oops i didn't notice you already equipped him, not near a book so not really sure what those do:).

good luck!

I do warn you now, wardancers are sweet but...

I usually find they die and dont do a lot in 8th. A treeman in place of them would make your list a fair bit stronger:P Generally war dancers are only really good for flank charging, killing blow can be awesome for taking down heavy armoured stuff, otherwise i generally do the 4+ ward save dance as much as possible... they just die too easily :(

puckus10
09-10-2010, 15:23
k guys thanks everyone for the input!! I do think it is really sadf that we rely on treekin and treemen so much. Cant a wood elf army work without them? hERE IS NEWEST LIST:

core:828

12 dryads (144)
16 GG with FC (216)
16 GG with FC Banner of Flame(231)
5 Glade Riders with FC(156)
5 Glade Riders WITH FC(156)

Lords: Lifeweaver with Divination Orb, Stone of crystal Mere(270)

Heroes
Dancer with potion of strength and stone of rebirth(155)
Level 2 with Calingors stave, Talisman of protection(165)

tOTAL 1493

Glade Riders go on flanks and hunt warmachines and try to get rear charges. 1 caster in each unit of GG. Dancer stays behind dryads until its time for both of them to charge while he gets buffed from life.

What do you think?

ArgentFire
09-10-2010, 16:56
Please everyone excuse me for asking this, but what is 'FC' when talking about the Glade Guard units (yes, I am very new to WHFB!)?

Thanks,

//ArgentFire

puckus10
09-10-2010, 17:22
it means full command ;)

ArgentFire
09-10-2010, 20:08
it means full command

Really, for a complete novice that means very little...

So, I'm assuming that a 6x2 unit will include a standard bearer, musician and champion in the front rank of 6 models? Please confirm.

Thanks,

//ArgentFire

puckus10
09-10-2010, 20:14
Not sure i get you? Full command means banner,muscician,and champion. if you had 20 guys in ranks of 5 the full comand would be 3 of the guys in the first rank. Command models arent actually more guys, they are upgrades for the guys you already have.

puckus10
09-10-2010, 20:15
Comments on the latest list anyone?
How could i make it 2000?

ArgentFire
09-10-2010, 20:29
Ok, that's what I thought and so as not to hijack your the thread any further, I'll just confirm what I was getting at:

G G G G G G
G G M C S G

This is the formation I meant, with the FC in the front row of 6.

Thanks for the confirmation,

//ArgentFire