PDA

View Full Version : Avatars of War and GW

ChaosAstartes
04-10-2010, 18:53
Hi guys, I have been thinking quite heavily on this subject (and seeing as search did not really give me any answers) I just want to know about using AoW mini's in a GW store.

Basically do GW stores allow people to use models from other ranges (such as AoW) or is it only GW and Forge world minis?

I am mainly concerned as I am starting a dark elf army and not a fan of the GW sorceress models and quite like the AoW model.

Malorian
04-10-2010, 18:55
They really aren't suppose to but a lot of them will allow it.

Best thing to do is ask.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-10-2010, 18:59
I was under the impression Forge World stuff wasn't even allowed?

BigbyWolf
04-10-2010, 19:12
If the staff are easy-going and there ain't no tournament going on you should be ok, but be prepared to accept a bit of stick for using "the enemies products".

Lowmans
04-10-2010, 19:14
I've never had a problem with using FW or AoW models. Which I'm glad about because they do some lovely stuff! Best non-GW stuff out there IMHO.

Ironmonger
04-10-2010, 19:18
Why do we keep having these conversations?

FW figures ARE GW figures, and they're allowed (and generally encouraged) at every single GW I've ever been to. Forge World is good. Fine. Accepted. Full stop.

AoW or any other company is 'officially' frowned upon, but it's really and truly up to the manager. Don't bring 'em without getting the go ahead first, and if he/she says no, don't try to pull a fast one. One thing a manager dislikes is a 10 year old running up and asking him where he can buy that totally awesome Beastlord...

EDIT: Sorry, these conversations are usually over in 40k, so I guess WFB still has all the fun and excitement of 'Is this 'legal'? to look forward to. My bad.

ChaosAstartes
04-10-2010, 19:25
Ok thanks guys for the answers, I will talk to the manager and see what his response is. If its a no go, I will probably look at doing some sort of conversion etc.

Ironmonger
04-10-2010, 21:32
Ok thanks guys for the answers, I will talk to the manager and see what his response is. If its a no go, I will probably look at doing some sort of conversion etc.

A tip? Slip into the conversation how you just dropped half a grand on GW products recently. ;)

jsullivanlaw
04-10-2010, 23:48
They really aren't suppose to but a lot of them will allow it.

Best thing to do is ask.

If you ask they will probably tell you no. Best thing to do is just not say anything and play, if anyone questions you tell them its a conversion with 80% GW bits. If they keep investigating ask them if they have some sort of problem. I have a single reaper mini in with my coverted Dark Eldar (all fantasy models) and no one has ever even noticed.

Damocles8
04-10-2010, 23:51
sometimes I'm glad I play at an indepedant store....

Stumpy
05-10-2010, 00:19
Don't mention it. If they work at GW they should be hobbyists and thus shouldn't care if you have 1 or 2 alternate minis. Don't tell them though.
This shouldn't be an issue, if it is just leave. No-one wants to play around jerks.

bluemage
05-10-2010, 00:41
As others have only GW minis are allowed at GW stores. No avatars of war allowed. Some stores might disregard the policy, however none I know of. In my opinion GW stores really aren't great places to game anyways. Just find a local gaming group to play at that doesn't have all the strict GW rules.

cornixt
05-10-2010, 01:38
Just use it until someone complains. Why would you even point out that you have something that they might not let you use?

Ironmonger
05-10-2010, 06:57
Just use it until someone complains. Why would you even point out that you have something that they might not let you use?

Hear that? That was the sound of you being asked not to play there in front of the future disgruntled GW kiddies.

As others have said, GW's are fun once in awhile, but if you're serious and not a tourist then find a nice group in your area: almost guaranteed to have a better time playing at a mate's flat without the restrictions imposed in some GW's.

As I have said, as well, don't try to pull any weird 'Don't ask, don't tell' shenanigans with the managers: when you go in just strike up a conversation with them and slip it in (to the conversation): 'Yeah, I've been playing for awhile, and have gotten all these models (produce hordes of regiments, maybe a dragon or STank or some such)... and I think that they're awesome! I'm planning on getting another regiment of (insert name here), and I'm using this _____ for my ______. Neat, huh?' That's about the time the manager (assuming he's not a total muppet) will ask you where you got it. Be honest, they should say something along the lines of 'Cool! Don't forget to pick up that____ you were talking about earlier!' And that's that. Seriosly, this has been my experience at EVERY store I've been too on 2 continents. I've even played a few games with a 90% MAS army in 40k just because the 7 tanks on the board WERE GW.

Be honest, sincere, and yourself. You can't go wrong.

Vashta
05-10-2010, 09:36
I can almost guarentee they wouldn't even notice.

kurisawa
05-10-2010, 09:50
I used to do it every now and then in GWHQ of all places; the staff were ok with me doing it as they knew me and I helped them out sometimes when a kid needed a game, or a group of young'uns needed looking after.

It would only be one or two models in a regiment, which I got the ok on. For big showy models it is polite to ask, and be prepared to have a GW-made back-up.

For the model in question, it would be a good idea to convert it with lots of GW parts - arms, weapons, head, base (obviously). That helps a lot.

K.

CauCaSus
05-10-2010, 20:10
Don't tell them and if you get "caught" tell them you made it yourself from green stuff :p

DarkstarSabre
06-10-2010, 07:56
The tragedy is this question has now become relevant to me after seeing the Lizardman hero.

My jaw dropped and I squeed with pretty delight!

someone2040
06-10-2010, 08:17
I can almost guarentee they wouldn't even notice.
You know, most GW managers aren't idiots. They're hobbyists too, and have most likely been around for a while. They generally have a pretty good idea of a lot of the OOP models that have been made in the past. That and they're into the hobby, so most likely they will at some stage ask "Hey, that's a cool model, how'd you do that?". Then you're forced into either lying or telling the truth, both inconvenient and put on the spot.

So really, do what Ironmonger has suggested. Slip it into casual conversation. Up front and blunt probably isn't going to allow it. An entire army probably not either. But you know, maybe the manager will be cool that you buy most of your models from there, and hey, you've got this one cool looking alternative Slayer character, not a huge deal.

But I really wouldn't be trying to sneak it in without having the manager approval first. You'll be frustrated when you're asked to put it away in the middle of a game.

AlphariusOmegon20
06-10-2010, 16:04
I play at a Bunker and no staff member's ever questioned me on any of my models.

Granted, I have AOW, OOP GW, Reaper and whatnot in my armies, and I do a LOT of converting. I'm fairly sure the staff know they aren't all GW models.

N810
06-10-2010, 16:24
Or you just tell them that your friend sculped it for you...;)

ChaosAstartes
06-10-2010, 20:21
well I told the manager about it and he was cool with it because he knows I enjoy painting different models from different ranges and that I discuss alot about conversions etc. And that I mostly play on veteran nights.