PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Points High Elves "Balanced List"

Gmaleron
04-10-2010, 20:11
Hello everyone. After a few more weeks of battling opponents (and with the release of the new High Elf Models) ive been playing more and more with a squad of 8-10 Dragon Princes and loving the result every time. So with this i have dropped my Nagarythe themed army idea and instead am going for a more balanced high elf army theme. This is an army designed for just regular play around the store (otherwise Teclis would be in there) so please tell me what you think guys and thanks for the insight and for reading:

LORDS AND HEROES: (813pts.)

-Level 4 Archmage
*w/ Silver Wand, Talisman of Preservation, Iron Curse Icon

-Noble BSB
w/ Razor Banner, Dragon Armor, Shield, Great Weapon

-Noble
*w/ Dragon Armor, Shield, Helm of Fortune, Barded Elven Steed, Great Weapon, Potion of Foolhardiness

-Caradryan

CORE: (750pts.)

-x55 Lothern Seaguard (*Horde w/ BSB, Caradryan and Archmage*)
*w/ Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

SPECIAL: (1435pts.)

-x21 White Lions
*w/ Full Command, Banner of Sorcery

-x21 Sword Masters
*w/ Full Command

-x21 Sword Masters
*w/ Full Command

-x9 Dragon Princes
*w/ Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion, Amulet of Light

TOTAL ARMY: 2998 POINTS

Trains_Get_Robbed
04-10-2010, 21:32
Too many poitns spent on suboptimal lord/hero bulids. If your giving the bsb a banner, he needs to be mounted on a b.steed so he gets at least a decent to meh save of a three plus. If you don't he won't survive past one round of combat giving the opponet free v.ps. :/ also no p.g? P.g are awesome, the only unit worth being an anvil in the h.e. also having a lvl 2 caster can be really helpful if your a.m fails by chance and it gives more spells availble to your army. Lastly look into taking six or seven d.ps as the other poitns can be used for rbt to greater add to your fire base or for great eagles to help w.m hunt, which you will need.

Gmaleron
05-10-2010, 16:56
Well i know its a risk for my BSB to be so exposed by so far he has survived mainly because my opponents are to concerned with either my swordmasters or Caradryan in the combat to notice him. And the -1 to armor is a must for my Lothern Sea Guard.

The only problem i have with RBT is that well plainly they are very hit and miss. I know i dont have much of a firebase but i may drop two or 3 dragon princes for some shadow warriors for war machine hunting in the future.

I changed some things above for my army to by the way, some better combos for my mage and noble.

D'Haran
05-10-2010, 18:17
Train has it right, too many points spend on heroes. Honestly HE hero choices suck, they're expensive, low survival rate means you have to spend points making them survivable, only 3 attacks and no points left for magic weapons they really are nothing special. Obviously I'm mainly bashing on the Noble and alittle the Prince, but it's all true. Any opponent who knows what they're doing will have that BSB dead quick, I'd put at least 2 attacks on him to find out what kinda AS/WS he's got before I committed (assuming you're playing closed list) and when I found out he's naked he'd become my new beating stick worth 250 VP's.

Banner on Seaguard works just fine, though either the BoEF or the -1 AS banner are situational.

Not a bad list, I'd probably drop the SM's down to 14-15 models a unit though. You're not really getting what you paid for with a second rank of them and they should be the hammer units to the anvil. Speaking of which only 1 anvil unit is sketchy at 3k, I'd rather see the Seaguard broken into 2 units if not dropped to get 1-2 units of spearmen with a seaguard unit. Not that they'll be winning combat by themselves but they're anvils for 1-2 rounds, granted having all that missle fire is nice but I don't think the unit brings enough to the table as shooting is only 2 maybe 3 turns if you're lucky and combat is what makes the game in this list.

Trains_Get_Robbed
06-10-2010, 02:44
Thanks d*haran. I also agree that taking out the horde of lsg for two units of spears and a lag unit would better (I run that at hghrr point games ironically) however, I didn't want to dismantle the horde efsfwct he was going for. However I would also adivocate that if you do keep the horde bump it 59 or 60 61 just So they can take causualties and still fight in 5 ranks. You have the right idea with the banners combo flamming and a.p but just get the noble a +2 or +3 a.s at least and you cab haave a mage buff the unit win shield of saph or earthblood etc. . . Its also mean to give the noble d.a and cast earthblood, because just the noble having the d.a prevents flamming from taking away earthblood since he fire immunity is transferred to the entire unit. :)

thesheriff
06-10-2010, 21:08
Its a good list, but i would never consider a unit of 55 seaguard balanced. Just a bit top heavy. Maybe splitting them down to 3 units of 20.

thesheriff

gardeth
06-10-2010, 23:47
I ran a horde unit of 50 seaguard with the BoEF last sunday, and I was rather stunned by their effectiveness. Saw of two large units of orcs (35+) including a shaman, warboss and BSB.

Gmaleron
07-10-2010, 03:53
I ran a horde unit of 50 seaguard with the BoEF last sunday, and I was rather stunned by their effectiveness. Saw of two large units of orcs (35+) including a shaman, warboss and BSB.

I agree gardeth this unit is surprsingly effective. The reason i run them in a horde (top heavy though they may be) is just because as mentioned they are pretty dang effective. With the BSB with the Razor banner in the unit combined with the banner of eternal flame you have technically strength 4 attacks (do to the -1 to armor) and they also count as flaming which ignores regeneration and scares calvary and chariots (something like that, think it causes fear). These guys have dominated my recent games including butchering 2 units of 20 dark elf black guard (one shot to pieces other smashed in close combat). They also do well as a distraction as the vast majority of my opponents love to target them instead of my swordmasters. Love this unit and dont think ill ever change them.

Tarian
07-10-2010, 05:11
Yeah... but that large block of LSG screams for mortar fire, and any decent templates are going to leave a very big hole in that unit... Or things like Dwellers.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
07-10-2010, 06:43
Quick question for your army? Since you're running blocks of infantry are you using Lore of Life instead of Elven High Magic? I like the idea of the horde block with LSG, combo with Razor/Banner of Eternal Flame (I'm planning to do that for my own LSG unit at 2000 pts. but not as big). I think if you can spare the points (maybe shaving off a few points from Sword Masters) I would think to include 1 or 2 lion Chariots to help out the Dragon Princes roll up flanks or some Great Eagles to deal with enemy warmachines.