PDA

View Full Version : Which WOC SC worth taking?

Hashulaman
04-10-2010, 22:38
I didn't see this thread, but I may have posted it already. My memory is terrible so if it is posted already, please inform me.

Anyways, what Warriors of Chaos Special Character is worth taking? I think Sigvald is probably the best one as far as points wise, he is worth more than he costs by far in my opinion. Throgg is great too, I'm still on the fence about Archaon though.

Havock
05-10-2010, 00:21
Most of them are quite good.

Archaon, although expensive˛, brings a can-o-whoopass to the table.
Same for Kholek, although he is horribly vulnerable to the sniper cannons we have to contend with now ;)

Sigvald is very good, even if only for his LD10 Stubbornness. All the other stuff is icing on the cake. He received a damage boost in 8th ed (ASF rerolling against anything with a lower initiative than him, which is quite a comprehensive list)

Throgg is universally considered to be a very good buy, relatively cheap, good damage output and his regen helps him stick around.

As for the others:
Valkia: cheapish for a flying supercharged chaos lord, reasonably well protected, best use seems to be as a roving 'troubleshooter' and an extra BSB to have around. She mixes well with chosen.

Villitch: pretty damn nasty if your opponent doesn't have a an equal level caster, dispelling means more dice for your opponent, I still don't rate him top-tier though, he only has a single trick up his sleeve.

Galrauch, on the other hand. In Hordes of Chaos, he was fine, nothing like a tzeentch lord on a dragon with a black maul and third eye, but still, fine.
Then came Warriors of chaos and he sucked, his Leadership was down by one and he lost the reroll that made failing that Ld test highly unlikely.
...And now he can reroll that test if there's a BSB around, great huh.

I am going to try him out one of these days. Preferably ganking some poor hapless character with his special breath attack in combat.
If you roll average (6-7 hits), no single target lives, statistically. You always fail on a six. There goes the high elf dragon, and the bloodthirster, and anything without heroic killing blow :p

Roark
05-10-2010, 06:18
Throgg is insane. Just so so good. The best in the book IMHO.

reddevil18
05-10-2010, 11:02
Archon although expensive is a combat monster, I used him in about 20 games in 7th edition and closest he ever came to death was 2 wounds left. even if he doesnt make his points back in kills hes also a lvl2 and the phycological effect the other guy has when he sees archon step on the table is awesome.

Throgg is good especially if you want to feild alot of trolls or other monsters as he passes on their leadership (tho im not sure if they have to be within 12 inches or if its all monster units but only get a reroll if within 12)

Festus i like, only way to get 2 leaper spells, 5+ regen and posion attacks to the unit hes with is awesome. tho i dont like the 1D6 pursuing.

Havnt tried the others out yet but ones ill be testing next are wulfrick and vlidtch.
Will try galrouch and valkia once i get suitable models.

Bauknefer
05-10-2010, 12:06
I was using Archaon in 7th ed and he is such a brutal maniac. 13 str5 attacks 10 that allow no armor. I was using him to kill the units around my opponents army and i would crash into the main blocks with chaos warriors.

He also had 18" ld bubble with ld10, and he is almost a bsb as well. not to mention a level 2 caster. he is a guy that can do something in all phases but shooting lol.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
05-10-2010, 14:41
I was using Archaon in 7th ed and he is such a brutal maniac. 13 str5 attacks 10 that allow no armor. I was using him to kill the units around my opponents army and i would crash into the main blocks with chaos warriors.

He also had 18" ld bubble with ld10, and he is almost a bsb as well. not to mention a level 2 caster. he is a guy that can do something in all phases but shooting lol.

All he needs is a Hellcannon strapped to his back....

Hashulaman
06-10-2010, 08:02
Has anyone used him in 8th though? 7th and 8th are vastly different

Bloodfever
09-10-2010, 21:52
Archaon is an amazing choice if you can afford the points. Although a massive amount of points if you put Archaon in a unit of 8-10 knights with the blasted banner and mark of Tzeentch you have a unit that almost cant be killed by anything. I use this combo and your looking at a unit with 4 ward save vs all shooting and 4 ward save vs all magic. All shooting is -1 to hit the unit and all close combat attacks are at -1. As for offensive ability it does not get much better 25 str 5 attacks 10 of which do not allow any armor saves(+3 str 4 attacks from the horses).(this is with a unit of 8 knights)

_dandaman_
09-10-2010, 22:34
Never used him but I hav heard great things about festus, 5+ regen, poisoned attacks, with a khorne marauder horde his potential is about unlimited.

Tae
10-10-2010, 10:11
I personally run Sigvald in a list comprising of 2 blocks of Slaanesh warriors with a BSB with the Crown of Command.

Which makes both units ItP (essentially), Ld 10 stubborn with re-rolls. :)