PDA

View Full Version : Helping your fellow gamers see the light.

Ward.
05-10-2010, 07:02
Recently I've had a rules dispute (Here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277762)) with some people from my FLGS and I'm pretty confident that I'm in the right.

Unfortunately it's dissolved into circular arguments with the weight of uninformed opinions being used as evidence.

So I was wondering, how do warseerites go about resolving a rules debate and does anyone else have an ongoing dispute they'd like to share?

Halelel
05-10-2010, 07:07
If its at a LGS or between friends and if there is no clear resolution, we usually dice off or flip a coin. No point in wasting time on a petty argument.

If it was a complete stranger at a event or something, than rule lawyering takes effect and a third party usually has to make a ruling (which usually results in a dice off or coin flip anyways, haha)

ftayl5
05-10-2010, 07:15
Roll a dice or clearly show in the rulebook why you're right, if you are, if it wont take to long. Don't want to interrupt the flow of the game.

Ward.
05-10-2010, 07:46
How about after the games finished for future reference?

Lord of Divine Slaughter
05-10-2010, 08:18
Then you go and read up on your rules, so you have a decent base of arguments - or are proven wrong ;)

lordkull
05-10-2010, 13:18
I usually default to direwolf as they usually have most of the "usual "ones covered and are in contact with the developement team .
Or the tried and true dice off

The bearded one
05-10-2010, 14:00
Showing them you're right usually helps :)

About the argument, the normal rule is that spells can't be cast on a unit. Show them that Scorch is not cast on a unit, but the template is simply placed. The only restrictions on Scorch are that the template must be placed within 24". You can place it anywhere. On your own unit, on terrain, on an enemy unit in combat, you are allowed to place it anywhere within 24". Since it has no spelltype it doesn't adhere to the restrictions of spelltypes in the back of the book.

There is your reasoning, you can show them that :)
What are their arguments against it?

Nuada
05-10-2010, 16:02
how do warseerites go about resolving a rules debate?

We sit down. We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right.

Good old Cloughy :)

The bearded one
05-10-2010, 17:42
We sit down. We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right.

What about the traditional clobbering?

AngryAngel
05-10-2010, 18:26
Usually, we look it up if we can while the game is going on. If we can't do that quickly enough, we just all take a judgement call, if that isn't good either, we just roll off, let the dice decide.

After the game we usually try and find the correct answer, but its nothing to get hung up on.

Gliderrider
05-10-2010, 18:56
Normally, we FAQ it(Not so good for IOB) as most of the guys at my club have printed off all ther pertinent rulings. If that doesnt work, either the most realistic, or dice for it, and use it as a precedent next time it comes up, unless its FAQ'ed in the meantime.

F/E Imp guard command squad taken twice as 2 HQ Slots, both with officer of the fleet & Astropath. Does the +/-1 to reserve roll stack(Before it was FAQ'ed) Rules dont say that it doesnt, so it does.

The bearded one
05-10-2010, 19:10
Well.. the "rules don't say it doesn't, so it does" argument is inherintly flawed.

The rules don't say you can't hit your opponent on the head with the rulebook in a rules argument and steal his armycase, so you can :)

BorderKing
05-10-2010, 19:18
If it was during a game I would dice off, then for future reference I would ask warseer.

Gliderrider
05-10-2010, 23:14
Well.. the "rules don't say it doesn't, so it does" argument is inherintly flawed.

The rules don't say you can't hit your opponent on the head with the rulebook in a rules argument and steal his armycase, so you can :)

I agree, but in that instance, the exact quote is "While the Officer of the Fleet is alive your opponent adds one to the roll required to bring units on from reserve.........." So nothing mentioning whether it does/doesnot stack, and the assumption that it does is a logical one. (IMHO, the FAQ only makes sense if there are mulpile OoF in the same squad anyway, not in seperate units, but Meh.)