PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite thing about 8th?

Dark_Mage99
05-10-2010, 18:31
New rule, slight tweak, whatever -- what do you like best about it?

The bearded one
05-10-2010, 18:44
Fighting in 2 ranks and stepping up. So simple, yet so game chancing and it completely dumps the reliance on charging.

Hragged
05-10-2010, 18:56
Stomp attacks!

The bearded one
05-10-2010, 19:00
Stomp attacks!

How about "3 models = rank" and "3 supporting attacks per monstrous infantry"

Hragged
05-10-2010, 19:54
Yeah, those are good too, but I particularity like the idea of a big guy stomping on a little guy :D

Lord of Divine Slaughter
05-10-2010, 19:55
A new game every time, and seeing infantry as the backbone of armies :)

BigbyWolf
05-10-2010, 19:56
This...http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262918&highlight=favourite ;)

MasterSparks
05-10-2010, 19:56
I like how the new magic dice generation works, making a single mage a much more viable choice than it was before.

overlordofnobodies
05-10-2010, 20:11
All the rule that monstrous infantry get. Even just the name monstrous infantry is cool.

bluemage
05-10-2010, 20:19
I also really like the magic dice generation rules. I was so sick of magic being an all or nothing affair and the mandatory two scroll caddies in every list I played, so as not to get screwed by magic.

Maoriboy007
05-10-2010, 22:10
Fighting in 2 ranks and stepping up. So simple, yet so game chancing and it completely dumps the reliance on charging..
I agree, I don't think that they really needed the strikes in initiative as well as those two were great rules in themselves.

Lord Inquisitor
05-10-2010, 22:21
Undoutably the best changes were fighting in ranks and stepping up (although I think this could have been taken even further) and striking in initiative.

Requiring two ranks for disruption was a good change - or it would be, if the steadfast rubbish didn't make it largely irrelevant. Sorry, I'll try to focus on what I like.

Reforming in combat is a GREAT addition (eliminated really stupid situations in previous editions of flanked units getting stuck there forever with extremely limited possibilities of turning to face the enemy).

Measuring charges from model-to-model is absolutely fantastic, and greatly reduces disputes over tricky charges. Much improved smoothness of gameplay. (I'm not overly thrilled with random charges and that wasn't part of my point).

Unlimited charges and wheels when charging also just about eliminated the evil of clipping. Just about.

Premeasuring. I really wasn't too sure beforehand, but I really love it. While guessing took a little skill, the game just flows faster and easier without umming and ahhing over distances. While I've played other games which allow premeasuring, I never realised how good it would be in Warhammer. I now wish 40K allowed premeasuring (and I hope it makes it into the new edition!).

Lazarian
05-10-2010, 22:28
well i guess my favorite stuff all involves my Ogres so Steadfast, no partials on templates, monstrous infantry, umm yeah if it helps an Ogre, im on board!

Da GoBBo
05-10-2010, 22:49
How does steadfast help Ogres?

I particularly like the so much better balanced magic system, allthough I could have done without the killer spells.

Armybuilding. The percentage system is so much better.

As a bonus. Marchblocking finally changed, allthough it is a shame it was actually just removed (BSB). And what the **** happened to my woodies?

I think the game fails in all other respects for the most part. But that is not what this thread is all about so I shall not get into that here. I still consider 8th to be the better game though as I can now finally play O&G the way I allways wanted it. My love for the weedy greenies burns vividly ones more. So much more options with the percentage system and a lack of worries for being overwhelmed by magic (though this last was never an issue in my group, none of us went mental on magic). My second army got screwed though, what are we to do with our woodelves? My third army Ogre Kingdoms got screwed over as well. More viable, but I liked MSU Ogres and it was this different playstyle, just like woodelves before them. Perhaps I am not so fond of this edition after all :(

Lowmans
05-10-2010, 22:50
It's just more..... Relaxed some how. I can't put my finger on why but there you have it!

WarmbloodedLizard
05-10-2010, 23:00
premeasuring. (don't like the random charges, though, they shouldn't have been THAT random)

xxRavenxx
05-10-2010, 23:21
Thunderstomp.

But then, I have a fetish for giants it seems...

Jump jump jump... STAMP!

Dark_Mage99
05-10-2010, 23:22
What do you mean by premeasuring?

I obviously haven't had chance to read through them thoroughly yet, just rushed to the bits I was most interested in.

WarmbloodedLizard
05-10-2010, 23:25
What do you mean by premeasuring?

I obviously haven't had chance to read through them thoroughly yet, just rushed to the bits I was most interested in.

you can measure everything whenever you want.

Lazarian
06-10-2010, 00:18
How does steadfast help Ogres?

I think the game fails in all other respects for the most part. But that is not what this thread is all about so I shall not get into that here. I still consider 8th to be the better game though as I can now finally play O&G the way I allways wanted it. My love for the weedy greenies burns vividly ones more. So much more options with the percentage system and a lack of worries for being overwhelmed by magic (though this last was never an issue in my group, none of us went mental on magic). My second army got screwed though, what are we to do with our woodelves? My third army Ogre Kingdoms got screwed over as well. More viable, but I liked MSU Ogres and it was this different playstyle, just like woodelves before them. Perhaps I am not so fond of this edition after all :(

The hundred or so gnoblars i bring to staple threats in place love steadfast. They can combo charge on a corner if needbe if i have to break steadfast too. I like the rule a considerable amount since it gave me a shiny new tool and a way to catch my opponent offguard if the arent paying attention. Ogres are on the opposite end of screwed this edtion. Two units lost some luster (Yhets and Leadbelchers) While we gained three great units due to the rule changes (Scrappies, Gnoblars and Trappers). Throw in the buff to monstrous infantry, the ability for our magic to be used smartly and the move away from several elements making our army easier to deal with and we win now without having to resort to MSU (we get to field an army now, not a math problem where we fled all the time in a non-Ogre fashion). The only thing that really hurts us is some magic which should only show up in a tournament, one which if the people involved have to pick lores first probably insure we dont see as much.

someone2040
06-10-2010, 01:11
Stepping up and fighting in 2 ranks. Makes the game much more interesting rather than crappy units relying on static combat res, and choppy units just munching through everything.
Now at least, crappy units have the opportunity to dish out a bit of damage rather than the champion just poking back.

Jetty Smurf
06-10-2010, 03:57
I love stepping up and the 2 ranks of fighting also. Percentages are fun. Restrictive in some places, but more open in others (I play lizardmen as a reference).

Pre-measuring is another big one. One of my friends could always tell to within 1/4 of an inch the distance between things, whereas I was terrible at it. I'm glad for this change, as I feel I can participate as much in the movement phase as he does (as in, I know what can reach what and where and when).

I also like the new magic system (perhaps some bias here, with +1 dice toad ability), though it's a shame MR doesn't seem to really have an impact anymore.

The scenarios are another one. Pitched battles were getting a bit tiresome, and these days, if we roll pitched battle, we usually just roll again. The variety scenarios add to the game, as well as the meta-game (even when knowing your opponents beforehand, you still need to write out a balanced list due to the different scenarios), and this is a good thing.

I also like that I don't feel like I have lost the game when I lose any one of my big-ish units (unless its the Slann + TG unit). I'm not 100% sure why I feel this way, but it seems that 8th makes me feel like I rely on my army as a whole, and not just each individual unit. Even if the rules don't necessarily directly support this opinion (not saying they do or don't, just that I'm unsure either way).

But my absolute favourite thing about 8th edition is that it's a lot easier to convince my gf to play a game with me. This is what makes 8th edition awesome!

nightlina
06-10-2010, 04:15
Things I like about 8th...

- More interesting terrain (it's pretty much the only thing that can kill my hydra's beastmasters, as it turns out. Plus being eaten by a forest is kinda cool)
- Scenarios (pitched battles were getting quite boring & predictable)
- Being able to attack back even if your front rank is wiped out (makes combat much more fun & interesting)
- Shooting from the second rank (my crossbow men aren't quite as annoying to move around the table now. Hurrah!)
- Things dying faster (it sounds bad, but it makes the pace of the game a lot faster)

To me, all of this adds up to a more interesting game from start to finish which is, to me, what the heart of 8th edition is all about. No more spending the first few turns moving everything into position and then having the epic battle at the end. Now, even from the first turn, the game feels exciting. As someone with a pretty short attention span, this is a great thing :D

I find I'm playing warhammer a lot more now than I used to, which is definitely making my bf happier :) So for that alone, 8th is awesome lol

Da GoBBo
06-10-2010, 09:39
The hundred or so gnoblars i bring to staple threats in place love steadfast. They can combo charge on a corner if needbe if i have to break steadfast too. I like the rule a considerable amount since it gave me a shiny new tool and a way to catch my opponent offguard if the arent paying attention.

I'll give you that. Steadfast did make a pretty useless unit less useless ;)

Ogres are on the opposite end of screwed this edtion. Two units lost some luster (Yhets and Leadbelchers) While we gained three great units due to the rule changes (Scrappies, Gnoblars and Trappers).Throw in the buff to monstrous infantry, the ability for our magic to be used smartly and the move away from several elements making our army easier to deal with and we win now

Don't forget maneaters, the only reason to have em now is because they are the best models ever. Last edition they wer awesome. Centre of my army. Trappers were much better last ed. Scraplauncher is fantastic. Anyway, I never said they are bad permormance, just that they got screwed ... for me that is, because of the following.

without having to resort to MSU (we get to field an army now, not a math problem where we fled all the time in a non-Ogre fashion).

MSU is the reason I bought them. One of em anyway. The army looks just sweet and I share their ... admiration (?) for food and make for a great convertable/outrages paintings army. Half a year ago I had three really different armies. All I needed was a Vampire Counts army and I had the entire game covered. This edition though ... MyWood elves, I really don't know what to do with em. At first I was glad at the prospect of playing 3x30 gladeguards, but WTF, not fluffy at all. Ogre Kingdoms, they play as an army you say. If I want an army I get out da Ladz. I want to set up traps and solve math problems. Not very fluffy, still what I searched for in this army.

Everybody likes stepping up, 2-6 rank righting, striking in initiative order, premeasuring, reroll every check in the game on unmodifiable leadership, reforming at the blow of a bagpipe, random charges. ... :cries: ... this game is a laugh, the more I think about it. We had a game for idiots, its called 40K, which has actually become a really good game.

Please tell me, in the spirit of this thread (which I tainted a bit just now, sorry). This is a strategy game. How did tactics become better? How can I call tactics my favourite thing in the game ones more ... Play my wood elves? :p Maybe my woodelves became my favourite thing in the game.

Astafas
06-10-2010, 10:24
Stepping up combined with the horde rule... because even goblins can pull stuff down when there is enough of them :)

Slowpoke
06-10-2010, 10:42
It's a million times more fun to play now and runs way smoother. I haven't popped a single vein in my head while playing 8th edition.

Alltaken
06-10-2010, 11:51
Magic being totally rebalanced, with the notable exceptions, but hey they are mostly exceptions. You can go lighter on magical expenditure have better results and people get the chance to actually cast some magic with smaller characters and investments than their rivals.

fight in 2 ranks and stepup has made battles way more violent and impressive.

theorox
06-10-2010, 11:57
Undoutably the best changes were fighting in ranks and stepping up (although I think this could have been taken even further) and striking in initiative.

Requiring two ranks for disruption was a good change - or it would be, if the steadfast rubbish didn't make it largely irrelevant. Sorry, I'll try to focus on what I like.

Reforming in combat is a GREAT addition (eliminated really stupid situations in previous editions of flanked units getting stuck there forever with extremely limited possibilities of turning to face the enemy).

Measuring charges from model-to-model is absolutely fantastic, and greatly reduces disputes over tricky charges. Much improved smoothness of gameplay. (I'm not overly thrilled with random charges and that wasn't part of my point).

Unlimited charges and wheels when charging also just about eliminated the evil of clipping. Just about.

Premeasuring. I really wasn't too sure beforehand, but I really love it. While guessing took a little skill, the game just flows faster and easier without umming and ahhing over distances. While I've played other games which allow premeasuring, I never realised how good it would be in Warhammer. I now wish 40K allowed premeasuring (and I hope it makes it into the new edition!).

This! Except the 40k part wich i dont care about, and random charges i think is a necessecary addition to premeasuring. :)

Theo

Phaedron2
06-10-2010, 14:44
I think its a tie between the new magic system and all the changes to infantry and special rules that reward me for taking large phalanxes of High elf spearmen

Ventus
06-10-2010, 18:52
I like that infantry armed with great weapons can get to attack back with enough force to do something (thinking of dwarfs).

dominic_star
06-10-2010, 20:08
I like that the charge is not as effective in many cases, now if they could just do something about cavalry charging head on in to blocks of spears...

TsukeFox
06-10-2010, 21:51
Random terrain!!! And 7 pages of skaven FAQ, followed by erta on the FAq.