PDA

View Full Version : Taking a character out of a Chellenge - what happens?

King_Pash
06-10-2010, 00:54
This situation came up in a final round of a local tournament last week. Thought I would pick your brain on the subject.

An Arch Lechtor in a War Altar was in a challenge with my HElf BSB. I stupidly accepted the challenge and realised that I would be in this combat for the rest of the game or lose my BSB. I then used my Lore of Shadow Archmage to fly him out of combat (using the Lore attribute character swap). Now, what happens in this situation:

A) The challenge continues with Arch Lector VS Archmage.
B) A new round of challenges may be issued.
C) Something else..

We ended up rolling for it and went for option B). Thoughts?

SiNNiX
06-10-2010, 00:58
This situation came up in a final round of a local tournament last week. Thought I would pick your brain on the subject.

An Arch Lechtor in a War Altar was in a challenge with my HElf BSB. I stupidly accepted the challenge and realised that I would be in this combat for the rest of the game or lose my BSB. I then used my Lore of Shadow Archmage to fly him out of combat (using the Lore attribute character swap). Now, what happens in this situation:

A) The challenge continues with Arch Lector VS Archmage.
B) A new round of challenges may be issued.
C) Something else..

We ended up rolling for it and went for option B). Thoughts?

The way it's played in my tournaments is that the challenge would be over and you'd be free to make new challenges as normal. Makes sense to me, and it's as close to RAW as we can get.

Synnister
06-10-2010, 02:29
I'm still up in the air about swapping out of combat. There was a thread about it before and nothing in the Lore Attribute tells you can disregard the rules for leaving a unit. I think this lore attribute needs a FAQ or errata for it to work as people seem to think its intended.

SiNNiX
06-10-2010, 02:40
I'm still up in the air about swapping out of combat. There was a thread about it before and nothing in the Lore Attribute tells you can disregard the rules for leaving a unit. I think this lore attribute needs a FAQ or errata for it to work as people seem to think its intended.

Agreed, sir. I don't think you should be able to, but there really isn't any way to prove either said via the rules, so you just kinda have to make up your own interpretation.

Kampfpanzer
06-10-2010, 04:23
My AL takes characters out of a challenge with the Mace of Helstrum!

As for the question, hard to say. I'd think the challenge continues with the archmage. I can't imagine my Lector swinging his mace to crush some face when someone else pops in where his opponent was and he stops mid swing muttering to himself.

Lord Inquisitor
06-10-2010, 04:33
This is in no way an analysis of the rules but I think the challenge should continue! It seems entirely fitting and could end up with some funny situations, like a Mage suddenly finding himself in combat or better still swapping a sorcerer in a challenge for a chaos lord!

Let the challenge continue!

mishari26
06-10-2010, 05:33
I agree with LI, no reason to stop the show! a bit of an anti-climax.. nobody likes those.

SiNNiX
06-10-2010, 14:52
Yeah, I just imagined a shady shadow wizard (see what I did there) who, right when he is about to be slain by a giant Chaos Lord, disappears into a huge whispy puff of smoke just as the Chaos Lord thrusts his sword into the smoke and you hear a quick "YUGGH!" And when the smoke finally clears, some peasant is standing in the wizard's place, dead, as the Chaos Lord looks confusingly around just in time to see a stream of smoke pelt him in the face!

Awesome.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
07-10-2010, 08:45
I'd say: challenge over, issue another challenge.

- and then I'd continue singing: Brave, brave sir Robin, he chickened out and ran away...

Stumpy
07-10-2010, 08:56
Yeah, I'd say they fall out of the challenge. Its a different character. I can see how there would be confusion.
As for the lore attribute teleporting into/out of combat, I think that's the entire point of the attribute. Not a stretch when you look at the power of some of the other attributes.