PDA

View Full Version : OK Tyrant builds

Gooner
06-10-2010, 06:47
I know there is some discussion on this already but it is mixed in with a lot of other stuff.

So my question is, whats the best Tyrant build in 8th?

I just made an army list with my tyrant having : thundermace, wryrdstone neckals, and mawseeker with a luck gnoblar and heavy armour.

the thundermace seems good as when fighting large units of squishy infantry u can hit somthing like 16 models, or u can use strght 8 d6 wounds in a challenge or against big things, or lastly u can use it as just a great weapon for 5 strg 7 attacks.

seems to be damn good for 55 points.

Da GoBBo
06-10-2010, 08:45
I am currently thinking Ogre tyrant + Glittering Scales, Greybackpelt, Siegebreaker or Sword of Anti-Heroes, Mawseeker. Defensive yet hitty.

spiderman5z
10-10-2010, 19:09
I think Fencer's Blades+ Trickster's Helm+Mawseeker is pretty tasty

ScytheSwathe
10-10-2010, 19:43
Maybe a better idea would be to ask for good Tyrant builds?

*giggles childishly*

Sandals
10-10-2010, 20:37
there are a few distinct schools of thought on the subject. Almost all include Mawseeker. It's just too good to pass on with the re-roll a BSB gives to Stupidity.

1) The Ninja Tyrant.

Some combination of - To Hit items (Glittering Scales, GBP) and the Fencer's Blades. I personally go with Scales and Blades. Leaves the points for a 5+ Ward and Mawseeker.

2) The Thumping Tyrant.

Thundermace and 4+ Ward. The only build without Mawseeker, but you need the added protection when you make no attacks at all 1/3 of the time. Can destroy infantry units, but ogres do that anyway. I tend to see it as overkill.

3) The Challenge Tyrant.

Tenderiser, occasionally the Gut Maw too. Challenges and bludgeons his opponant to death and racks up Overkill.

4) The Cheap Tyrant.

He can do alright with very little, making him useable in small games. Assuming 1000 points: Cathayan Longsword, Mawseeker, 5+ Ward (Wyrdstone Necklace to save points) and Enchanted Shield (5 points - bargain!) runs to 245 points and dishes out 5 attacks at WS7, I5 and S5 AP.

But there are an infinate number of combos and most can be good when combined with the base stats of the Tyrant. Experiment and find one you like!

EnternalVoid
11-10-2010, 01:18
My anti-Hero build;
Tenderizer, Wyrdstone Necklace, Mawseeker, Other Trickster's Shard. Then Heavy Armor and what Luck Gnoblars I can get. With the Tenderizer I am likely having a good chance of wounding when I hit, and with a -4 to armor I will negate much of that. After that the shard makes them have to reroll those nice ward saves, then you have the d3 wound deal of the Tenderizer. Nasty against many lord builds. Only some of the best survivability builds can weather it, and with the Toughness 6 and 5+ ward save I have a decent chance of living through the attacks before I swing. I have had alot of people in my gaming group worry about me possibly taking this one *several of them went for cheaper lords or non melee builds to avoid*. Note on this build, I tend to have a BSB and a unit of Ironguts with Standard of Displine, so I would have either a Ld 9 or 10 with a reroll for the stupidity test.

One I currently tried out as I kept getting opponents with units that have 2-3 heroes in it;
Sword of Anti-Hero, Dragon Helm, Talisman of Endurance, Other Trickster's Shard, Mawseeker, Heavy Armor, Spiked Fist *to use a shield*, and luck gnoblars. Again Toughness 6 with a 5+ ward save, but this time with a 3+ armor save. The Sword of Anti-Hero was great at times for mowing through units and heroes when they had to many *even one gives the Tyrant Str6 and 6 attacks*. Overall it was not bad, but I think there might be ways to improve it.

A variation of the hard to hit Tyrant, though I have not had a chance to try it yet;
First Glittering Scales and the Greyback pelt. At that point you are being hit on 5+ or 6+, the 5+ only against models with WS7+. Take a Cathayan Longsword so only models with WS8+ hit on 5+ *or a Great Weapon if you worry about damage output*. At this point you have 40 points left. You can take a 5+ ward save in either the Wyrdstone necklace or Talisman of Endurance, though as you have already used both Enchanted Items and Armor, I would avoid going with any magic weapons as the Cathayan Longsword *or great weapon* and a ward save is likely more use for you.

Another I want to try at some point;
Mawseeker and the Trickster's Helm. Sure it is 60 points, but you have Toughness 6 and they have to reroll to wound against you. Rather than hard to hit, he is hard to hurt. Even Str4 with Great Weapons are only wounding a fourth of the time. For those last 40 points you could get the Wyrdstone Necklace and the Other Trickster's Shard. I would likely take a Great Weapon on this build for added offense.

There is actually a lot of interesting things you can do with the Tyrant, if only because he has a good baseline stat line to work from. The BSB allowing the Reroll to Stupidity tests helps alot as Mawseeker is a cheap for +1 Toughness to an already good toughness.

spiderman5z
11-10-2010, 06:59
there are a few distinct schools of thought on the subject. Almost all include Mawseeker. It's just too good to pass on with the re-roll a BSB gives to Stupidity.

1) The Ninja Tyrant.

Some combination of - To Hit items (Glittering Scales, GBP) and the Fencer's Blades. I personally go with Scales and Blades. Leaves the points for a 5+ Ward and Mawseeker.

2) The Thumping Tyrant.

Thundermace and 4+ Ward. The only build without Mawseeker, but you need the added protection when you make no attacks at all 1/3 of the time. Can destroy infantry units, but ogres do that anyway. I tend to see it as overkill.

3) The Challenge Tyrant.

Tenderiser, occasionally the Gut Maw too. Challenges and bludgeons his opponant to death and racks up Overkill.

4) The Cheap Tyrant.

He can do alright with very little, making him useable in small games. Assuming 1000 points: Cathayan Longsword, Mawseeker, 5+ Ward (Wyrdstone Necklace to save points) and Enchanted Shield (5 points - bargain!) runs to 245 points and dishes out 5 attacks at WS7, I5 and S5 AP.

But there are an infinate number of combos and most can be good when combined with the base stats of the Tyrant. Experiment and find one you like!

U forgot the flying Tyrant!!! Magic Carpet+Siegebreaker+Mawseeker or something to that extent

minionboy
11-10-2010, 22:32
I'm about to test out a hit tyrant tonight against some dorfs, he's what I'm using:

Tyrant: Maw Seeker, Glittering Scales, Greyback Pelt, Talisman of Endurance and Cathayan Longsword: 310

All the hit stuff the previous post mentions, plus being T6 and a 5+ ward on top of it! Should be a tough nut to crack.

Kevlar
11-10-2010, 22:40
Twin Tyrants!

EnternalVoid
12-10-2010, 02:31
I'm about to test out a hit tyrant tonight against some dorfs, he's what I'm using:

Tyrant: Maw Seeker, Glittering Scales, Greyback Pelt, Talisman of Endurance and Cathayan Longsword: 310

All the hit stuff the previous post mentions, plus being T6 and a 5+ ward on top of it! Should be a tough nut to crack.

Let us know how it goes, I am curious.

Grovel
12-10-2010, 05:36

1) The Ninja Tyrant.

2) The Thumping Tyrant.

3) The Challenge Tyrant.

4) The Cheap Tyrant.

Enchanted Shield is 15 points iirc, since the price in the army book overrides the rule book price.

saitani
12-10-2010, 06:34
Im just using heavy armour tenderiser and tricksters helm, Ussualy peopple are hitting me on 4 wounding on 4-6 with rerrol and i got a 4+ armour and a regen save that makes him WERY hard to kill only lost him twice after 15 matches and that was vs a Bloodthirster and a treeman ancient in a challange with anoyance of nettlings and 3 whole turns of combat....

EnternalVoid
12-10-2010, 06:34
Enchanted Shield is 15 points iirc, since the price in the army book overrides the rule book price.

I will not refute the part about the army book overriding the rule book but the Ogre kingdom army book does not even have the Enchanted Shield as an option. Ogre Kingdom was one of the few armies that did not have access to it, but now with 8th ed we not only have access to it but at a cheap 5 points.

minionboy
12-10-2010, 06:57
Let us know how it goes, I am curious.

Well, I went against the dwarfs, it was a VERY tough first couple turns, staring down the barrels of 2 cannons and 2 stone throwers (S4 and S5). My tyrant took a cannonball to the face (failed look out sir)... but passed his ward! Hurray! The tyrant ended up in combat with Hammerers, who hammered the ironguts and eventually the BSB, but only did a single wound over 4 turns to the tyrant himself. 6's to hit were win and T6 was win too! I may try it again, but I'm still always trying new tyrants.

cheers!