PDA

View Full Version : Are giants effective?

Dark_Mage99
07-10-2010, 12:03
When I first heard about thunderstomping, my first thought was: wow, I can finally get a bit more punch out of my big monsters.

But now that I've got the rules and have looked at them closer, doesn't a giant's low Initiative and Toughness 5 make him a bit -- well -- useless in combat in the new rules?

You used to be able to charge him (and other T5 monsters) in to a fair amount of things and trust them to wipe out the first rank and hold, bogging the unit down. If it was infantry, particularly if it was puny infantry, they wouldn't be able to do much damage over time to properly fight him.

But now if you do the same kind of charge, the sheer volume of attacks hitting him before he can do anything could chop him to pieces.

Of course this means you've just got to be more careful with who they fight. But when you're shelling out so many points on a big beast, you don't want them to be scared of infantry...

EDIT: On second thought, I suppose the supporting attacks will be limited by his base size. So there won't be too much coming back at him. Even so, I'd still like to know: how have your giants fared in this edition?

SkawtheFalconer
07-10-2010, 12:50
Sorry to go off-topic at such an early stage, but getting him into combat in the first place is extremely hard nowadays. Laser guided warmachines and the fact that every missile troop/wizard in the game can see him seriously shorten his life expectancy - particularly when you factor in, as you rightly say, that you need to be a bit selective about his combat opponents nowadays.

Snake1311
07-10-2010, 14:27
I've seen a slaaneshi giant used pretty effectively - the mark, although expensive, gives him ASF, which is awesome. But then, its still kind of outperformed by the hellcannon, which on top of evertyhing is cheaper.

I'm not sure how they fare in the context of other armies, but I'd say they are most likely a subpar choice everywhere - they have never been overly competitive due to being too random anyway. Every now and again your Giant will do something awesome though, so if you already have the model go ahead and field it, its fun :). If they were about 50 points cheaper they'd be awesome (although still not as good as a hydra, which is 50 pts cheaper....) so just think of yourself as 50 points down - which isnt that much in a 2-2.5k game.

lachlin
07-10-2010, 17:42
My giant is effective at catching cannon balls to the face...

Walgis
07-10-2010, 20:06
there should be rules that cannon ball does only D3 wounds becouse cannon ball is like bullet for him :) IMHO. they should be good againts infantry but then again its GW nothing is good againts that what it should be good.

Malorian
07-10-2010, 20:13
Here are my thoughts:

The Orc Tactical Team

Sept 10/10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgzjf-hHkzU (Orc and goblin giants)

Arnizipal
08-10-2010, 08:26
there should be rules that cannon ball does only D3 wounds becouse cannon ball is like bullet for him :)And a single bullet can't kill you? ;)

I'd rather they buffed up his Toughness to 6 or something. This should give him some protection agains regular shooting (which in my opinion shouldn't affect a giant quite as much).

Currently I think a giant is only useful as a flank charger.

Dark Aly
08-10-2010, 09:22
Here are my thoughts:

you look much older than in your avatar :)

Nurgle giants for WoC can be good as large target no longer gives +1 to hit and also helps them out in melee.

LAV-Kitsune-
08-10-2010, 09:51
Here are my thoughts:
This video pretty much sums it all up so I wont go repeating everything he said. I would really like to say: "Ofcourse they are effective" as giants are lots of fun to play but with 200 points you could get 5 trolls and they will pretty much always work better as an anvil, can soak hits from missiles and warmachines better and also deal more damage in combat (and are more reliable in that) and buffs work better for them. Giants just cant survive long against many hits. Even empire Halberdiers will likely cut giant down in two rounds of combat. So it all comes down to having fun monster jumping up and down on opponents elite unit or headbutting continuously his big monster. Fun to play but not very effective in terms of combat.

96mgb
11-10-2010, 13:10
Its such a shame as they are great models and good fun, hopefully the new army books will beef them up or maybe give a ward save vs cannons...?

Dark_Mage99
11-10-2010, 13:33
I think a ward save vs cannons is a bit much, but T6 would be a nice addition, or at the very least some sort of scaly skin save.

SevenSins
11-10-2010, 15:21
changes to terror also hinders a bit, on the other hand you can declare a terror-charge drom 18" away wich can scare off low ld troopers.

giants are great fun, if not the most competetive choice, their lack of any save is the main problem. In armies using the life lore they get better as they can be healed (ususally this will be a DoW giant)