PDA

View Full Version : Usage of Chariots for wizards

Kiras of the flame
08-10-2010, 14:21
ok so we all know that almost every army can put their wizard (I guess the Arch Lector also counts because he works like one) on a chariot

-Armor save
-speed
-you look sexy on it
-holy crap it's a chariot that has a bunch of attacks!!!

while on the other hand:
-your a target
-you can't join a unit for protection
-WHY ARE YOU IN COMBAT?!?!?

as far as I know chariots are made to fight in... not to sit back and fling spell after spell at your opponent... still I like the Idea of actually getting on top of a cool war platform...

thoughts on the matter

BaSe
08-10-2010, 14:23
As u say there designed for combat so not ideal. A sexy stead does the job if speed much better. Although I agree the look for most armies does make it tempting.

Malorian
08-10-2010, 14:40
I did it a lot in 7th, but now that cannons hit both the chariot and the rider is can be a death trap.

SkawtheFalconer
08-10-2010, 15:12
Its more viable in 8th than 7th in that a S10 hit caused by a miscast won't destroy your chariot. ;)

Infiltraitor
08-10-2010, 15:17
I can see it being alright for chaos armies, their lowest caster is a chaos warrior with an extra wound. I don't see it working for elves however. The chariot itself has to do really well in order to survive the payback the receiving units going to want to dish out.

decker_cky
08-10-2010, 16:43
The only use I've seen for it with my beasts is to have a shadows wizard in a tuskgor chariot scouting, and several other characters in chariots (maybe a second shadows wizard in tuskgor too). Definitely include a beastlord in razorgor chariot. With 4-5 chariot characters and at least two shadows wizards, you can play the shell game and teleport those chariots around with smoke and mirrors. Razorgor chariot in the flank would be tough for some armies to deal with for sure.

Sclep
09-10-2010, 00:24
Ha! I hadn't even thought of that. I've only considered taking a lvl 1 with beasts, wildform, the cloak and chariot.

immortal git
09-10-2010, 00:55
beastmen with a scouting razorgor chariot, thats terrifying, he amber spears your flank first turn? HOLY S@#T

Kiras of the flame
09-10-2010, 01:23
It seems odd to put an archmage in a chariot... unless you give him awesome gear somehow...

Here's a thought...
what about a Prince with the armor of caledor, and the radiant gem of Hoeth and the silver wand? In theory he should be just as good as a lv2 mage (though with the power of a lv1....) a bit cheaper than Eltharion on stormwing If I'm correct...

AMWOOD co
09-10-2010, 02:58
For Chaos Warriors, another reason to do so is that Chariots are 20 pts cheaper when a character is mounted on them (seriously, only +100 while the bare chariot is 120). Did anyone also consider that the chariot is basically a firing platform, letting the mage stand that much taller to blast the enemy with spells, using the higher vantage point for Line of Sight?

Tzeentch Sorceror on Tzeentch Chariot with the Ironcure Icon. 5+ward against cannons for a 5 pts item! ...and 40 pts in marks, heh.

Treadhead_1st
21-10-2010, 18:25
I like it - mainly because it looks good.

I keep the mage near a spear-block, which helps getting LOS to something you want to hit and try to minimise LOS back.

The additional speed is helpful, and I see the combat-power of the chariot as a case of "Oh, crud, there's a unit right in front of me" - i.e. an emergency measure. It can be nice on a flank, where there's something like Ellyrian Reavers, Dark Riders, Pistolliers - other light-cavalry that may be hunting your shooting units. A chariot (and perhaps a magic missile/combat spell) can easily end these small, lightly-armoured units.

It adds flexibility, but at a risk and it's not cheap either. I just do it for the looks.

SevenSins
21-10-2010, 21:14
The only use I've seen for it with my beasts is to have a shadows wizard in a tuskgor chariot scouting, and several other characters in chariots (maybe a second shadows wizard in tuskgor too). Definitely include a beastlord in razorgor chariot. With 4-5 chariot characters and at least two shadows wizards, you can play the shell game and teleport those chariots around with smoke and mirrors. Razorgor chariot in the flank would be tough for some armies to deal with for sure.

sounds like good fun, might just try this :D

BigbyWolf
22-10-2010, 16:01
The Suicide Gobbo was always fun. Level 1 Shaman with Brimstone Bauble in a wolf chariot.

Sambojin
23-10-2010, 08:46
O+G are good chariot contenders, if only because they're so cheap it really doesn't hurt too badly if you lose them. And gobbo's can carry all kinds of magical deviousness along with them.

The chariot bomber is one example. Another is the lv 1-2 ward save remover using the Tricksy Trinket. Very few people expect you to put it on a shaman.

Another is the 'itty ring assassin. Plough him into a chosen enemy character, cast 'ead-butt from the ring (often removing a wound) and then direct all the chariots attacks at the character, hopefully killing him. It doesn't always work, and you'll almost definitely flee afterwards, but removing a BSB/high level mage is worth it. Give him a magic weapon/damage causer to help you out a little or a powerstone to help out in the magic phase (hand of gork to make the charge easier is golden).

major soma
23-10-2010, 08:52
Historically speaking some of the first chariots were used as mobile firing platforms, in the case of the Hittites and Egyptians platforms for getting skirmishers into a position. It was with the introduction of better animals and weapons that they became a proper weapon of terror.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
24-10-2010, 22:13
Yeah, I favor the explosive goblin scroll-caddie if I want to use a wizard on a chariot.

Sambojin
25-10-2010, 02:54
Another chariot-wizard for O+G worthwhile looking at is a Goblin Warboss with the wizarding hat and a GW/LA/SH and extra crewman. While there's no way to know what lore (and thus what spells) he'll get, all the BRB lores are extremely useful. And it's the only way outside of allies that you'll get to play with all the new fun things like uber-buffs and nukes. He's kind of mobile, can fight a little and get's quite a bit of use out of his random lore when backed with some cheap Big/Little Waaagh support. Not really that point effective, very random, but he's a nice little wild-card to add to your higher point battles. At 240 or so pts there's a lot of better options, but it is fun to use a BRB lore once in a while. Mindrazor on a Spear Orc horde FTW. Or cast it on himself for some s8 impact goodness :)

You could also go for a BO or Savage Warboss and use him as a general/wizard, but the cost becomes astronomical. But he does have the advantage of feeling almost like a special character of sorts. A fairly good fighter/wizard character for the orcs, who would have thunk it?

Avian
25-10-2010, 05:43
In 7th, it was a nice way to get an extra Special slot. In 8th edition, I find that my 25% Hero quota is more limiting than my 50% Special quota, so I haven't been tempted. Also there are the new template rules.