PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia (2k, first try)

Skjoldr
08-10-2010, 17:19
Alright, looking at starting Bretonnia, and wanted to get an idea of the list i'm shooting toward, so, here goes. I value criticism very highly, have to learn somehow, so please, feel free to rip it up. I won't take offense.

Lords:

Prophetess = 265
Level 4 - Life
Warhorse
Dispel Scroll

Total: 265

Heroes:

Paladin = 128
Knight's Vow
Crown of Command
Charmed Shield
Virtue of Empathy
Lance
Warhorse

Paladin BSB = 126
Knight's Vow
Birth-Sword
Enchanted Shield
Warhorse

Total: 264

Core:

Knights Errant = 294 (BSB and Prophetess)
13 Knights
Champion
Standard Bearer
Errantry Banner

Knights of the Realm = 223 (Paladin)
8 Knights
Champion
Standard Bearer
Standard of Discipline

Men-At-Arms = 222
40 M@A
Champion
Standard Bearer

Peasant Bowmen = 89
14 Bowmen
Braziers

Total: 828

Special:

Questing Knights = 168
6 Knights
Champion

Pegasus Knights = 165
3 Knights

Total: 333

Rare:

Grail Knights = 228
6 Knights

Trebuchet = 90

Total: 318

Army Total: 1999
Model Count: 95 (1 War Machine, 55 Infantry, 44 Cavalry)

My plan is to overload one flank of the enemy army using my massive Errant block, GK, QK and Pegs, while the M@A and Bowmen go with the stubborn LD9 KotR, locking down the opposing flank and attempt to deny them access to my more valuable units. Thoughts?

Ravenar
08-10-2010, 21:15
One issue you may have is the characters in the Errant unit. With the banner you have chosen, you are looking at a -2 check at the units LD of 8 (BSB or lvl4) to not attempt to charge units within 20". So you have to roll less than a 6 (reroll with BSB) to not charge OR make sure do not have a unit in your sights until the turn you wish to charge. Any fast cav or flyers will certainly bait that unit over and over. Of course theywill simply pull you too far into their battle line. Driving that large of a bus (15 cav models 5 ranks deep) exposes a huge flank.

Also, you may want a musician in the bowmen instead of fire. The army book actually states the arrows are flaming (in other words, the CC does not gain the flaming attack). Unless you are thinking you will be attacking lots of buildings or flammable/regen creatures, flaming arrows are.. meh. Being able to swift reform and fire on flanking units, however, can surprise your opponent and take down maybe 1-2 of that 5 strong fast cav dedicated to your archers/trebuchet.

Best of luck with your Questing Knights. I quit using them. With the ASL rule, I find that too many die with their 3+ AS before I get to attack. Of course, play a lot of armor piecing type and/or S4 opponents. WhenI do use them, I take them 9+ strong and expect to lose one rank before I get into CC.

Skjoldr
08-10-2010, 21:53
One issue you may have is the characters in the Errant unit. With the banner you have chosen, you are looking at a -2 check at the units LD of 8 (BSB or lvl4) to not attempt to charge units within 20". So you have to roll less than a 6 (reroll with BSB) to not charge OR make sure do not have a unit in your sights until the turn you wish to charge. Any fast cav or flyers will certainly bait that unit over and over. Of course theywill simply pull you too far into their battle line. Driving that large of a bus (15 cav models 5 ranks deep) exposes a huge flank.

And this is why I cherish advice. lol, I completely forgot about the LD penalty from the banner. Very good point, thanks. I'll probably drop that in favor of a different banner or perhaps a few more archers. I figure i'll probably lose at least one rank to shooting before I see combat, so my flank will be large, but I think I can manage it.

Also, you may want a musician in the bowmen instead of fire. The army book actually states the arrows are flaming (in other words, the CC does not gain the flaming attack). Unless you are thinking you will be attacking lots of buildings or flammable/regen creatures, flaming arrows are.. meh. Being able to swift reform and fire on flanking units, however, can surprise your opponent and take down maybe 1-2 of that 5 strong fast cav dedicated to your archers/trebuchet.

Yeah, it was 5 points left and I thought Braziers might be useful for a hydra. Peg it once and it loses regen for the rest of the turn, but good point. I'll probably make that change.

Best of luck with your Questing Knights. I quit using them. With the ASL rule, I find that too many die with their 3+ AS before I get to attack. Of course, play a lot of armor piecing type and/or S4 opponents. WhenI do use them, I take them 9+ strong and expect to lose one rank before I get into CC.

Any suggestions with what to replace them with? I've considered two 5-man units of Yeomen for WM hunting, but it seems like they would get blasted off the board extremely quickly.

Ravenar
09-10-2010, 18:01
I say try the QKs and see if you have the same luck I do.

If you were to change the list though, I would probably drop the QKs totally, change the Bowmen into 2 units of 10 and add 3 Grail Knights (bringing it up to 9).

One more thing.. and maybe I didn't notice it last time but your Knight units do not contain musicians it seems. Once you break someone (hopefully) and run them down, typically you will be facing and close to your opponents board edge. Being able to swift reform enables you to turn around and, at least, move 8" towards your next victim.

Good Luck to you... I love playing Brets but they frustrating now as a cav army. Some people often remind me that Brets have peasants also, but I have the belief, "If I wanted a human infantry army, I would have played Empire." :P