PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves and the Magic phase

Lorquas
08-10-2010, 18:24
Hi

I'm playing my Dwarf army tomorrow for the first time since the new rules and I'd like to make sure I get their rules right. Could someone please help with the following:

(1) Do Rune Priests have to channel or do they just get the extra dispel dice as per the army book? In the FAQ it says the Anvil still adds 1 dispel dice.

(2) Does the Dwarf Army always dispel at +2 or does a Rune Priest/Lord improve this?

I think that's it. Please feel free to add anything else I need to know about Dwarves and dispelling

Thanks

Lorquas

wyvirn
08-10-2010, 18:47
Dwarf rune* can never channel, as they are not wizards. They just automatically generate the dispel dice.
And dwarfs automatically get +2 on dispell attempts, unless they have the banner that grants more.
And this was talked to death about 2 weeks ago, but im fairly certain that you can use power dice to dispel RIP spells, so keep that in mind.

SiNNiX
09-10-2010, 01:57
And this was talked to death about 2 weeks ago, but im fairly certain that you can use power dice to dispel RIP spells, so keep that in mind.

That is correct, sir.

Grimskarr
09-10-2010, 02:04
Dwarf army always gets +2 to their dispell because they're Dwarfs (BRB p.35). They only loose this bonus if allied with a wizard(s).
Each Runesmith gets 1 dispell dice.
Each Runelord gets 2 dispell dice.
An Anvil of Doom provides 1 dispell dice.
If chosen for your Battle Standard Bearer, the Master Rune of Valaya adds +2 to a dispell attempt ( this stacks with the +2 natural dispell bonus the army gets - effectively choosing this rune gives a total dispell bonus of +4).
If taken, the Master Rune of Balance takes one opponent's power dice and adds it to your dispell pool.

These are the most obvious ways to boost your dispell attempts.

In a 2500 point game it is feasible to take all these options. Actually I'd swap out the Runesmith for a second Runelord giving me 6 dispell dice even before rolling for the Winds of Magic. And the great thing about the Master Rune of Valaya is that even if I do fail a dispell roll I still get the +4 to my next dispell attempt, unlike my opponent whose 4th level wizard is too busy sulking off in a corner. Add in a couple of Runes of Spellbreaking and/or Spelleater Runes, and a Dwarf army can completely shut down its oppenent's magic phase (and I didn't even include the Master Rune of Spellbinding - a further +1 to any dispell attempt!).

AMWOOD co
09-10-2010, 02:23
*Blinks* ...that can't be right... *blink blink* ...huh.

Dwarfs, the only army with no wizards are now the ultimate magic defence, getting 6 dice before the roll... I'm having serious second thoughts of starting my little brother with dwarfs back when he was teething now (he would get into our models so we got him a few dwarfs because they had the fewest sharp edges for the toddler to hurt himself with). Now with all the artillery fun, steadfast goodness, suped up handguns and, apparently, anti-magic that makes Pen and Teller look like amateurs.

SiNNiX
09-10-2010, 02:33

Dwarfs, the only army with no wizards are now the ultimate magic defence, getting 6 dice before the roll... I'm having serious second thoughts of starting my little brother with dwarfs back when he was teething now (he would get into our models so we got him a few dwarfs because they had the fewest sharp edges for the toddler to hurt himself with). Now with all the artillery fun, steadfast goodness, suped up handguns and, apparently, anti-magic that makes Pen and Teller look like amateurs.

My 13-1 (in 8th) Dwarf army uses a Runelord w/ Anvil, MRune of Balance and a Spelleater. That's my magic defense for a 3k army, and it's plenty. +2 to dispel, +4 DD, -1 PD to my opponent, and a Dispel Scroll that can potentially destroy the spell. And I'm really only paying 100 points for magic protection, as I'd take the Anvil anyway for strategic purposes.

Novrain
09-10-2010, 07:59
Unfortunately if the opponent really wants to ignore all of the dwarven magic defense then they can. They will powerscroll and IF that giant purple sun right down your battleline and laugh as two thirds of the touched models die....

Still, against non-IF's Dwarf anti magic is good.

Dezartfox
09-10-2010, 08:06
It's not EACH rune smith/Lord that generates dispel dice, it's "if your army contains a.." SO you get 1 dispel dice if your army has at least 1 rune smith, and an extra 2 if your army has a runelord/

shelfunit.
09-10-2010, 10:59
It's not EACH rune smith/Lord that generates dispel dice, it's "if your army contains a.." SO you get 1 dispel dice if your army has at least 1 rune smith, and an extra 2 if your army has a runelord/

Hmmm. My dwarf army book certainly has no passage of writing say "if your army contains a...".
What it does say is... "A Runesmith gives the Dwarf player an extra Dispel dice in the enemy Magic phase. A RuneLord... an extra two Dispel dice..."
This is the "Rune Lore" special rule and applies to every character who has it.

SiNNiX
09-10-2010, 15:18
Unfortunately if the opponent really wants to ignore all of the dwarven magic defense then they can. They will powerscroll and IF that giant purple sun right down your battleline and laugh as two thirds of the touched models die....

Still, against non-IF's Dwarf anti magic is good.

That's why you slam a rock down the wizard's throat in the first turn. Can't tell you how many times I've taken out wizards in the first turn so far in 8th. Thanks, TLoS and no-more-range-guessing!

This couldn't be more false.

Tae
09-10-2010, 16:54
This couldn't be more false.

Sure it could. He could have added "and on a 4+ you army gains a giant flying purple monkey".

wilsongrahams
09-10-2010, 17:38
Sure it could. He could have added "and on a 4+ you army gains a giant flying purple monkey".

Ooh really? I need a 4+... (Kisses dice and wishes on a star, rolls dice...)

You lie to me TAE!

Mr_Rose
10-10-2010, 08:25

Dwarfs, the race which all the fluff says is most naturally immune to magic and has done for 30-ish years, finally have the greatest magical defences in the game?
Wow, they really did fix everything this edition.

Tae
10-10-2010, 09:58
Sure it could. He could have added "and on a 4+ you army gains an invisible giant flying purple monkey".

Ooh really? I need a 4+... (Kisses dice and wishes on a star, rolls dice...)

You lie to me TAE!

Fixed it for you :)

xalfej
10-10-2010, 10:14
Dwarfs, the race which all the fluff says is most naturally immune to magic and has done for 30-ish years, finally have the greatest magical defences in the game?
Wow, they really did fix everything this edition.

I guess that means they will go the space wolf route when they get their new book. and will have amazing magic, which wont be called magic because they dont like magic so they call it something else other then magic when it still is magic but its not.

~xalfej

AMWOOD co
10-10-2010, 10:30
I guess that means they will go the space wolf route when they get their new book. and will have amazing magic, which wont be called magic because they dont like magic so they call it something else other then magic when it still is magic but its not.

~xalfej

They already have that. We call him Thorek, and he's a real pain. Then there's all those guided miss... um... I mean rune encrusted War Machines.

SiNNiX
10-10-2010, 16:36
They already have that. We call him Thorek, and he's a real pain. Then there's all those guided miss... um... I mean rune encrusted War Machines.

Don't hate if you want anything in your army to make it past turn 1 of my Shooting Phase. My engineers are pretty accurate in 8th. :p

AMWOOD co
10-10-2010, 18:07
Oddly its the non-runic Flame Cannon that's done the most havoc. 2 uses and it has killed a Dark Elf High born on a dragon (the dragon then failed monster reaction and stayed put for the rest of the game). Second time it panicked a unit of 15 Ogres including a Tyrant on the last turn. Both times with its first and only shot.

As for Dwarf anti-magic, The only match I can think of is an Empire army with a Lvl 4 wizard and staff of sorcery/book of ashur and tonnes of Warrior Priests, but they won't get the +5 to cast even after failing.

Tarian
10-10-2010, 19:17
High Elves can get a pretty nasty dispel phase, with +d3 Dispel Dice, steal one, 3 various scrolls, and a potential +6 to dispel.

The bearded one
10-10-2010, 19:34
Or a skaven player allied to high elves, and using 'skitterleap' on a high elf prince with the "null stone" ( wizards and magic items don't work no more within 6" of it ) to teleport him next to the enemy's lvl 4 caster, or.. better yet, next toTeclis!

Instant laugh.

Mwuahaha.

Tae
10-10-2010, 20:29
Right up until the opponents turn when they move more than 6" away and turn and nuke him as he'll have no other magic items whatsoever :p