PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about 2k WE for 8th Ed.

kurisawa
09-10-2010, 05:19
Hello. If I can get my group to switch to 8th Ed (and that's a big IF, but I'm working on it), then I need to re-think how to run my WE.

This is an initial list...

Level 4 Lifeweaver, glamourweave talisman, ranu's heartstone.
(I wanted the WoWe, but I'm over 25% characters then, so I went for Ranu's budget version :p)

Eagle-Noble, shield/spear/light, HoDa, HoTH.
(For the usual early warmachine hunting, priority target shooting with HoDa, and perhaps a bit of supporting charge later in the game.)

(Characters 481)

CORE:
10 GG, mus.
10 GG, mus.
15 GG, mus, std (Weaver goes here to make 16).

(These guys concentrate fire on the biggest nastiest enemy threat unit, reducing size if not completely wiping out before the Treekin get stuck in. Obviously I'll try not to let the Weaver's unit go down, offering up the others as sacrifice and moving out of the way.)

8 Dryads + nymph (For the extra attack across a narrower frontage - I want to use them on a flank like slightly slower fast cav.)

SPECIAL/RARE:
5 Wild Riders w/FC.
(Get round behind enemy lines to take out warmachines / missile units early, then join in on multiple charges from the rear later on.)

6 Treekin.
(My new central unit to hold charges.)

5 Wardancers w Champ & Mus.
(Will act on the opposite flank to the dryads, hopefully will at least deal with enemy flankers - fast cav? - and then contribute to multiple charges later on.)

1 Treeman.
(Another central unit to deal with "special" enemy threats.)

(Special/Rares = 952)

TOTAL 1991

I used to like an elven theme, using mainly wardancers and lots of glade/wild riders, perhaps with waywatchers and eternal guards, but those times will have to go in 8th. It's ok: I quite like the idea of scratch-building an "Ent-council" of treekin. They'll make some interesting new characters for storywriting.

I'm a bit bummed about Glade Riders, though, as I love the models. I may get round to buying some warhawks and using the Glade Riders models as the riders instead (as I don't like the "surfers" much).

So, assuming Warhawk Riders are not immediately available, but pretty much everything else is, any recommendations? :confused:

K.

puckus10
09-10-2010, 14:45
I am pretty new to WE too but i will try to help.

1) There is no such rule that says characters can only be below 25% of the army. The correct rule is: Lords can be up to 25%, heores can be up to 25%.

2) Your noble only has a 4+ armour save and i know that we dont have the best armour but he will get shot up very quickly. find a way to give him a good ward save. If you drop the eagle and take alter kindred you could probaly get a good ward save. (dont have my book on me right now so i dont no exact items)

That all i got because everything looks good! I wish we didnt have to be so dependent on tree people!!!

kurisawa
12-10-2010, 00:47
I am pretty new to WE too but i will try to help.

1) There is no such rule that says characters can only be below 25% of the army. The correct rule is: Lords can be up to 25%, heores can be up to 25%.

2) Your noble only has a 4+ armour save and i know that we dont have the best armour but he will get shot up very quickly. find a way to give him a good ward save. If you drop the eagle and take alter kindred you could probaly get a good ward save. (dont have my book on me right now so i dont no exact items)

That all i got because everything looks good! I wish we didnt have to be so dependent on tree people!!!

Thanks for the reply!

1. Ah, I see what you mean. I'll therefore take the wand of wych elm and drop the nymph and... maybe the WD champ.

2. I think it may be 3+ (shield, light armour, helm of the hunt and mounted), as well as +1T for riding the eagle. The problem is I want the HoD arrow, which leaves little points allowance left for magic armour - I thought the helm the best for the points available. The trick with this noble is to a) throw lots of threats at the enemy quickly, b) take out enemy missile units quickly, to allow her to fly around safely.

The more I think about putting together the treekin the more I like the idea of this being my central unit. The days of "winter" elven-themed lists seems to be doomed in 8th. :cries:

Thanks for the comments.

K.

thesheriff
12-10-2010, 21:26
I think the eagle noble could be swappede for alter noble with bow of loren. Also, wardancers and wild riders could be swapped for more treekin and dryads. Wardancers are just weaker and more expensive dryads. so, i would swap them. And please, wand of wych elm ftw :p

thesheriff

puckus10
12-10-2010, 21:43
I second thesherrif on the idea of swapping for the alter noble, alternetively you could mak him a waywatcher noble with Bow of Lauren since they seem to be the best for pure warmachine hunting. I don't know about dropping those two units though cause they are your flankers...

kurisawa
13-10-2010, 03:14
Hmmm, you think Bow of Loren is better than the HoDa? :confused:

I know you are right about the Wardancers, but they are my favourite unit so I want to at least try and make them work as a flanker in this ed. Ditto on Wild Riders. :cries:

K.