PDA

View Full Version : Immune to effects

larabic
10-10-2010, 05:30
Played a game today against High Elves they had a banner that they could be targeted by spells but would be unaffected by them, don't know what it is called. Not knowing i cast doom and darkness on them that lowers their LD by 3. The spells goes off, they don't dispel it does nothing. During that same turn i killed the guy holding that banner, know i would think that they would now be affected by the spell until my next phase, am i wrong in this? Kind of a weird situation.

Tarian
10-10-2010, 05:42
Banner of the World Dragon, they're 100% Immune to any magical effects while they carry it. So, I don't think it would affect them, as it has to affect them to have any effect.

Yrrdead
10-10-2010, 05:54
I think that you had it right.

You cast Doom and Darkness on that unit. It is remains in play. They are immune to its effects as long as they have Banner of the World Dragon. As soon as the banner is gone they are no longer immune to the effects of Doom and Darkness.

Loopstah
10-10-2010, 14:44
I would agree. You aren't prevented from casting the spell on the unit and nothing stops the spell Remaining In Play on the unit even if they are immune to the effect. As such when the BSB died they would still have Doom & Darkness in play on the unit and would then suffer the effects.

Kalandros
10-10-2010, 16:26
I would think that's a bit of stretch, they're immune, the spell does not happen.

RanaldLoec
10-10-2010, 16:34
Their immune to the spell because of the banner.

If the battle standard bearer dies the banner is removed.

The spell is a remains in play, so as soon as that banner is gone so is the immunity.

I don't think its that much of a stretch at all just a logical progression of circumstance.

SiNNiX
10-10-2010, 16:39
I would think that's a bit of stretch, they're immune, the spell does not happen.

If they said "cannot be targeted," it'd be one thing. As it says they're "immune," it's translated as they can be the target of spells, but they don't suffer the effects. You can be immune to poison, but that doesn't necessarily keep you from having poison injected into your veins. If you can't be targeted by poison, however, then I can't shove that needle in your arm!

Tarian
10-10-2010, 16:43
One of the effects of the spell is that it affects units later though...

SiNNiX
10-10-2010, 17:30
One of the effects of the spell is that it affects units later though...

Right. So as the spell continues to be in play, it still does not have any effect on the unit as long as the banner grants this ability. As soon as the banner ceases to grant the ability (which usually means the carrier has been slain or the banner has been dropped), the spell that remained in play, but was not affecting the unit, now affects the unit.

larabic
11-10-2010, 04:57
I'm glad to see a split so i know that my thinking wasn't totally out there. They ruled against me at the tourny but i still think i am right, i have when they invent new rules for 1 item that exists now where else in the game, if they wanted the unit to be immune to magic why not just make them untargetable or auto dispel spells that touch them on roll or something.

T10
11-10-2010, 07:20
During that same turn i killed the guy holding that banner, know i would think that they would now be affected by the spell until my next phase, am i wrong in this? Kind of a weird situation.

Weird, but it seems correct. The banner does not dispel the spell.

-T10

RanaldLoec
12-10-2010, 12:14
Hooray have we managed to reach an agreement on a rules question on warseer unbelievable.

SiNNiX
12-10-2010, 12:43
Hooray have we managed to reach an agreement on a rules question on warseer unbelievable.

No. Everyone above me is wrong, including myself.

Discuss.