PDA

View Full Version : Step-up rules query

untimention
10-10-2010, 13:16
Hi warseer,

so last night i was chaos against dwarfs and Brets

My horde of warriors killed the organ cannon and over-ran into a unit of hammers (rear).

In the opponents turn when it came to combat, the dwarf hammers stepped-up and gained maximum models in combat.

Is this correct, he said that's always been the rules but i thought the whole rear change was 'surprise' style.

The got destroyed anyway but wanted to find out if he could do that.

theorox
10-10-2010, 13:28
No, he can't... :shifty:

He just made it up.

Theo

Chris_
10-10-2010, 13:32
Hm... I am not sure what you mean with the step-up. Lets say you where the O and he the X's:

OOOOO
-----X <-Rear
XXXXX
XXXXX

This way you would both be able to strike with 5 guys each as even though there is a gap to the left of the one at the rear they still count as b2b. (pg. 49 "Incomplete Ranks")

untimention
10-10-2010, 14:09
yes the o's over-ran into the x's.

then it was his turn and he moved the x's up and then they fought back (when they lived)

Chris_
10-10-2010, 14:13
You don't actually move up per se but they are still considered to be in b2b. No support attacks though.

Venerable_Bede
10-10-2010, 16:29
The Brets have an Organ Gun?

untimention
10-10-2010, 16:53
brets and dwarfs vs chaos

Lord Malorne
11-10-2010, 18:59
You ignore the space between the models in that instance and they attack across the gap, they do not move, as they are fighting to the rear they do not get support attacks, at the end they can make a reform IIRC on a Ld test.

WizzyWarlock
11-10-2010, 19:45
This is similar to a question I wanted to ask. Does step-up work from the back? As in, if I have two units, one in the front, one at the back, and the rear unit removes all the models in that rank, does he get any attacks in return? Surely they can't 'step up' forwards AND backwards?

Atrahasis
11-10-2010, 19:50
The Brets have an Organ Gun?

They did in 4th edition. It worked just like a Helblaster.

mishari26
11-10-2010, 20:26
The dwarf player did nothing wrong by having his rear hammerers attack. p.49 "Incomplete Ranks".

Also, the BRB describes removing casualties as "removing from the back". but it also says that their comrades "step-up" to fight in the place of their fallen friends. and considering 8th ed makes no case where dead people reduce attacks, it seems even if you hit in the rear and kill the models you're fighting, the guys right behind them will just hit back.

knightime98
11-10-2010, 20:55
If he had an oath stone then it would not of made a difference.
However, he would of had to state his Thane or Dwarf Lord were
using such an item.

Lord Malorne
11-10-2010, 21:28
This is similar to a question I wanted to ask. Does step-up work from the back? As in, if I have two units, one in the front, one at the back, and the rear unit removes all the models in that rank, does he get any attacks in return? Surely they can't 'step up' forwards AND backwards?

Combat is a swirling mess, they do get to attack, after combat is resolved and if they did not flee you then move the unit forward so that it is still in base contact.

Chris_
12-10-2010, 00:20
I browsed through the new BRB FAQ and think this has been answered (with removing whole ranks and such when fighting rear-side :p ).