PDA

View Full Version : Assuming humanity "won"...

jason_sation
10-10-2010, 13:03
no more aliens, chaos, warp, etc. What do we do with the Space Marines? Do we keep them around and reward them for the good job they've done, or do we perceive them as a threat now in terms of taking control of humanity and start taking them out?

abasio
10-10-2010, 13:29
They'd hold a huge parade to comemorate these esteem warriors and all the of 1000 something chapters would be there in full. At the height of it the entire planet would be virus bombed from orbit to wipe them all out.

That's the Imperial reward for loyal service!

The technology to create space marines would undoubtedly be kept though and at some point in the future, someone would create more to unleash on to the galaxy.

MarcoSkoll
10-10-2010, 13:33
I suggest you look at our solely human world and see just how much warfare there is. Only humanity being left doesn't mean that there aren't going to be those planetary governors who fancy independence or other such civil wars.
The Space Marines would be kept around as a deterrent.

If you're asking "what if warfare ends"... well, despite all of the fantasy elements in 40k that require suspension of disbelief, asking me to believe that war would completely end is really stretching it.

Herne the hunter
10-10-2010, 13:59
Ditto. Even if the Imperium did manage to wipe out all aliens and eradicate chaos, who's to say another lot of griblies wouldn't suddenly appear from outside the galaxy again ala the tyranids? I don't think the Imperium would want to take that risk.

Jack of Blades
10-10-2010, 14:17
Not to mention the humanitarian issues that would become apparent after that. I mean when there are no more external enemies to fight, the condition which for example Terra is in may no longer be acceptable out of there being more pressing concerns...

WokeUpDead
10-10-2010, 18:07
just because there aren't any aliens/chaos etc doesn't mean humans can't fight humans anymore. worked in the past, works today, will work in a possible future ;)

Donkeycow
10-10-2010, 18:15
I suggest you look at our solely human world and see just how much warfare there is. Only humanity being left doesn't mean that there aren't going to be those planetary governors who fancy independence or other such civil wars.
The Space Marines would be kept around as a deterrent.

If you're asking "what if warfare ends"... well, despite all of the fantasy elements in 40k that require suspension of disbelief, asking me to believe that war would completely end is really stretching it.

exactly, war... war never changes

nedius
10-10-2010, 18:18
They would become the ultra-police of the galaxy. Whenever a planet or system went rogue - i.e. threw off the Imperial rule for none-chaos reasons (something woefully lacking in the 40k universe...), they would send in the SMs.

With no aliens to fight, you'd have a bunch of generals and admirals with huge warfleets still sat around thinking of something to do. When all you know is fighting, there's little choice in what comes next...

DarthMcBob
10-10-2010, 19:06
Well, obviously we'd invade another galaxy to purge it FOR THE EMPEROR!!!

Woodsman
10-10-2010, 21:49
I think with no common enemy the space marines, goaded/joined by the inquisition would probably end up having another civil war. A lot of 'em don't seem to get on that well.

Or, imagine First Blood with a space marine as Rambo.

aim
10-10-2010, 22:17
...Or, imagine First Blood with a space marine as Rambo.

That is the most amazing suggestion I've read in ages.

Buchy
11-10-2010, 12:22
I think they'd all end up playing Blood Bowl - "For Nuffle!"

Lord Malorne
11-10-2010, 12:46
War never ends, they would become a galactic police force (which is kind of what they alreay are but BL think they are not) taking out the odd rebel planet or pirates, if tech advances, there is always the next galaxy to fight for.