PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Tzeentch themed WoC

Sandals
10-10-2010, 17:47
WoC were my first army in WFB, way back in 5th. Since about the end of 6th I have left them alone, as I could never seem to get a combination I liked. Tzeentch was always me theme of choice, and I always felt that other gods got the better deals. I also ran at one point a full Marauder army, including taking Marauder Cheiftains (when they existed) and converting a chariot to be a Marauder chariot (again, when they existed!).

Now with 8th, WoC seem to have been given a boost, as their already good infantry gets all the bonuses of this edition. So whilst it may be seen as jumping on a bandwagon, I'm just returning to an old favourite ;)

However, my WoC models are really out of date, so I plan to completely repaint and remodel eveything over time. What I am looking for is a decent list to aim for whilst I do this, and this is mt first draft. Opinions?

Lords
Sorcerer Lord: Level 4, MoTzeentch, Talisman of Preservation, Blood of Tzeentch, Necrotic Phylactory, Enchanted Shield, Conjoined Homonculus, Disc of Tzeentch
410 points

Heroes
Exalted Champion: BSB, MoTzeentch, Shield, Crown of Command
185 points

Sorcerer: Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon, Third Eye of Tzeentch
140 points

Core
22 Warriors: MoTzeentch, Shields, Full Command, Banner of Discipline
417 points

25 Marauders: MoTzeentch, LA, Shields, FC
190 points

25 Marauders: MoTzeentch, LA, Shields, FC
190 points

40 Marauders: GW, FC
220 points

10 Warhounds
60 points

10 Warhounds
60 points

Special
7 Chaos Knights: Musician, Standard
310 points

Rare
Helcannon
205 points

Total = 2387

Comments
1) I'm not sure what to do with the 13 points I have left. I could make the big unit of Marauders Slaaneshi, but that spoils the theme. I could add a couple of warhounds, but that makes them a bit too big. I'll probably go with this if I can't come up with anything better.

2) Are the Chaos Knights worth it? I know cavalry in general have been toned down, but I feel that these are still able to do some damage. But they are also expensive, and I can get a fair few other things for those points.

3) The BSB and Sorcerer go in the Warirors to take them to 24. They are flanked by the Tzeentch Marauders. The GW Marauders charge off to kill things, the Warhounds try and flank and annoy, and the Knights target stuff they can kill. The Lord - probably the general as he can survive a fair amount - will go off with the cavalry to get his LoS! and try and kill stuff with spells.

Comments and criticisms greatly appreciated!

thesheriff
10-10-2010, 20:18
The 40 marauders will get spat up quickly, as everyone will shoot them, and nothing else. And becuase ther naked, 20 or so archers+ magic will finish them off before they get into combat. Drop them and put in anouther hellcannon.

thesheriff

Eta
10-10-2010, 20:44
I'd try to mark the knights Tzeentch and add the Blasted Standard. They will attract a lot of fire, a 4+ ward save can really make the difference here. Knights are still worth it, they are tough and hit very hard with high initiative. I played a full cavalry force this weekend against a horde Skaven army with lots of shooting and my two knight units basically killed the whole Skaven army.

Greetings
Eta

ROCKY
10-10-2010, 22:04
I'd try to mark the knights Tzeentch and add the Blasted Standard. They will attract a lot of fire, a 4+ ward save can really make the difference here. Knights are still worth it, they are tough and hit very hard with high initiative. I played a full cavalry force this weekend against a horde Skaven army with lots of shooting and my two knight units basically killed the whole Skaven army.

Greetings
Eta

I am interested to see how you run them. knights for me have been nothing less that targets (sure they can kill lots but its hard to break people now due to steadfast) another problem with knights is that they lose out on attacks in ranks (only 1 attack from the back rank) so i can only imagine them being taken in units of 6 or 7. it may be just me, but in this edition warriors, trolls, and marauders really shine.

SlayerMonka
11-10-2010, 21:02
Hey dude. I have been using chaos since the start of the army book. and one of the thing I found with the change across to 8th ed, is magic is not as reliable as before.

I have a lvl4 tz sorcerer on disc, with a lvl2 sorcerer, quite a few times I have rolled up double onces for winds of magic. meaning that 600 pts have been unless for though turns.

the question about chaos knight, they do well. tend to run mine with MoN and banner of rage. unit of for about 6 seems to work the best. any more, and unit become to expensive.

You also seem to be spending a lot on the sorcerer lord. I would try and keep them cheap as possible. so MoT, disc, Golden Eye, Power familar, Bloodcurling roar. Thats it for him. I just place him so he cant be charged. or shot too much.

I would drop the hounds and take some marauder cav with throwing axes. or flails for sticking into the flanks of units.

Also with so many blocks of marauders have you though about a warshrine to bluff a unit?

what about a block of chosen tzeentch warrior, with shields, and favour of the gods. I tend to have a block of 17 with a similar setup, apart from adding the raptous standard.