PDA

View Full Version : Steadfast Article and Line of Sight

AMWOOD co
12-10-2010, 20:16
I'm just wondering who actually had their opinion changed by the Steadfast Article in regards to the section detailing a single character's Line of Sight.

I can say that after I read it I didn't agree with his wording unless one takes it in the context that it is written to players of 7th edition. In 7th, all Line of Sight was drawn through the front arc except for lone US1 models so it makes sense that he would say that they are now restricted to 90 degree sight as it was typically used for spell casting, shooting and charging.

Now, all examples of Line of Sight being used without Front Arc explicitly states are in the army books. For these examples, who holds that a model still has 90 degree line of sight? Personally, I changed my mind from a similar post to this and hold that models should have 360 degree line of sight, but I would play however my opponent agreed.

Note: Basically, I'm looking for the current state of the question. I'm not looking for a long, months old arguement. If you feel you should put your reasoning in, please do so, but let's keep it civil with minimal rebuttle.

Atrahasis
12-10-2010, 20:21
Line of Sight and Arc are two separate things.

Most things (charges, shooting, magic missiles) require that the target be both in line of sight and within the front arc.

Line of Sight, however, can be drawn from the eyes in any direction, and is not limited to the front arc.

Incidentally, what Steadfast article?

AMWOOD co
13-10-2010, 04:13
This article (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat440002a&categoryId=500004&section=&aId=12400021a): just look for the entry on 'Lone Characters' towards the bottom.

...now I'm in for it...

Chris_
13-10-2010, 04:17
This is something made up, "Arc of Sight" or whatever he calls it, and is a return to 7th. The model sees what he sees, if it doesn't have any eyes then use your common sense to check LoS. (OH NO! What is this common sense I hear? - Is what you think now :) )

Synnister
13-10-2010, 04:30
pg 39 in the rules for shooting says that you have to check if the target is 'visible' by checking 2 things: 1) In LOS and 2) in front arc. That right there says you only see stuff to the front of your model.

ChrisIronBrow
13-10-2010, 04:47
pg 39 in the rules for shooting says that you have to check if the target is 'visible' by checking 2 things: 1) In LOS and 2) in front arc. That right there says you only see stuff to the front of your model.

Actually, that says for shooting.

Synnister
13-10-2010, 05:29
Actually it says to see if the target is visible.

ChrisIronBrow
13-10-2010, 05:38
Actually it says to see if the target is visible.

For shooting.

Teongpeng
13-10-2010, 10:10
i dont understand this thread.

Chris_
13-10-2010, 10:29
i dont understand this thread.He asks what we think about the "Arc of Sight", which is a term coined by a GW developer (I think?). Anyway, it is basically back to the old rules for line of sight, i.e. 90 degrees in the front.

Teongpeng
13-10-2010, 10:45
and i still dont understand how is that an issue :(

AMWOOD co
13-10-2010, 11:42
Reading other 'Line of Sight' posts, there are two interpretations being made about how the article should be taken.

1. All models have a strict 90 degree line of sight for all rules.

2. The article uses the wording 'arc of sight' and is making references to 7th edition players about how lone models used to be able to charge and shoot (things that required line of sight) 360 before and cannot now. The current edition, however, has no restriction for arc on the Line of Sight rule on page 10, but lone models are limited to charging and shooting in the front arc while before they were not.

So, yeah, it comes down to: "Do you take 'arc of sight' from the article to be synonimous with 'Line of Sight'? If so or if not, why?"

Teongpeng
13-10-2010, 11:45
does it seroioiusly matter??? gosh im so blur...

spammy86
22-10-2010, 00:43
this is a somewhat valid point. In the case of a doomwheel the rules read that the doomwheel fires its warp lightning at the closest unit (friend or foe) regardless of line of sight or terrain!

Initially this read that the doomwheel could fire at the unit behind it so long as it was the closest unit however upon reading the rule book further we discovered that LOS is seperate from unit facing and such meant the doomwheel could only select the closest unit within its forward arc, hence saving his defenceless Skaven :)

Makrar
22-10-2010, 06:09
this is a somewhat valid point. In the case of a doomwheel the rules read that the doomwheel fires its warp lightning at the closest unit (friend or foe) regardless of line of sight or terrain!

Initially this read that the doomwheel could fire at the unit behind it so long as it was the closest unit however upon reading the rule book further we discovered that LOS is seperate from unit facing and such meant the doomwheel could only select the closest unit within its forward arc, hence saving his defenceless Skaven :)

The doomwheel does not select its target, it auto hits the closest model regardless of terrain and LOS. Arc has nothing to do with it

spammy86
22-10-2010, 10:08
So are you saying that it would hit the unit behind it if it was the closest?

RMacDeezy
22-10-2010, 21:14
p39 BRB, Shooting, Choose a target. a model can only shoot at something in its forward arc. that being said, i would allow my opponent to shoot in any direction with his doomwheel IF this is how doomwheels worked in the last edition, as it is stupid to assume that the 8th BRB would address something so trivial as what a doomwheel can shoot at. the whole situation was probably completely overlooked by developers, leaving it to be settled by good sportsmanship and rules-lawyering. i prefer the former...

Makrar
22-10-2010, 22:21
So are you saying that it would hit the unit behind it if it was the closest?

Yup, closest unit. Keep it far away from the rats :D