PDA

View Full Version : sword and shield = armour save?

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
10-03-2006, 07:14
i know that a shield gives you a +1 to your armour save, but does a sword with a shield give you a +1 also, or is it just the swrd??? 2 scenarios

1 - my empire swordsmen have light armour, sword, and shield...do they have a 5+ armour save or a 4+ armour save

2 - empire swordmen have 2 handweapons (i know it cant happen, just ammuse me)...do they have a 5+ armour save or 4+ armour save

Scott

T10
10-03-2006, 07:26
i know that a shield gives you a +1 to your armour save, but does a sword with a shield give you a +1 also, or is it just the swrd??? 2 scenarios

1 - my empire swordsmen have light armour, sword, and shield...do they have a 5+ armour save or a 4+ armour save

2 - empire swordmen have 2 handweapons (i know it cant happen, just ammuse me)...do they have a 5+ armour save or 4+ armour save

Scott

1. The Swordsmen have a 5+ armour save: Light armour is 6+, the shield is 6+. Combined this is a 5+.

Note that in close combat they have a +1 bonus to the armour save for using a hand weapon and shield.

2. The Amusing Swordsmen have a 6+ armour save: Light armour is 6+. They have no shields.

Note that in close combat they do not get any bonus to the armour save for using two hand weapons.

-T10

A neutral shade of black.
10-03-2006, 09:28
Not complete on 1., but correct on 2. :)

In the case of the first situation, the swordsmen are on foot, possess a hand weapon in addition to their shield and are wearing light armour. The basic equation is this: light armour gives you a 6+, shields give you +1 (so a 5+). The following only works in close combat: you get an additional +1 from the parry rule for carrying a shield and a hand weapon (so 4+). Pretty neat for that cheap a model, eh?

There are no swords in WFB, just hand weapons, great weapons, halberds, lances, spears and a few specials. "Swords" are treated as exactly the same as maces, frying pans or pointy bits attached to your fists. As long as you're on foot, have a shield and hand weapon and are in close combat, you benefit from the parry rule, and get an additional +1 to your save.

SuperBeast
10-03-2006, 09:31
Wrong on 1., but correct on 2. :)

If you're replying to T10, you're wrong - the HW/Shield bonus is only available in combat - it doesn't apply against shooting or magic, so essentially the Swordsman has a 5+ save when he isn't in BtB with an enemy.

Festus
10-03-2006, 10:13
Hi

Yes, T10 has nailed it precisely...

Greetings
Festus

warlord hack'a
10-03-2006, 10:15
so to make it clear for all:

the swordsmen have 5+ armour save versus anything but hth attacks, and a 4+ armour save in hth. So they are easier to shoot than to kill in hth (the philosphy behind this: in hth you can use your sword and shield together to parry attacks, but in order to strike an arrow from the sky you must either be a ninja or Bruce Lee ;-)).

10-03-2006, 10:30
If you're replying to T10, you're wrong - the HW/Shield bonus is only available in combat - it doesn't apply against shooting or magic, so essentially the Swordsman has a 5+ save when he isn't in BtB with an enemy.

Aye, I was replying to T10 - and promptly forgot the possibility of being shot at. :P

SuperBeast
10-03-2006, 11:00
... and promptly forgot the possibility of being shot at. :P

I've had a number of games where I've used this exact phrase to explain why my tactics didn't work. :D

T10
10-03-2006, 11:21
:)

"What the...! You're SHOOTING at my TROOPS? What's the MATTER with you?"

-T10

Griefbringer
10-03-2006, 12:20
Proper Bretonnian nobles should be most upset when the cowardly enemy resorts to such lowly means of inflicting bodily harm as missile fire!

As for the original question, it was answered quite thoroughly already. I think we should write a FAQ for this one, it keeps popping up in various forms all the time. Though might wait until 7th edition, in case the wording gets changed.

10-03-2006, 15:24
I've had a number of games where I've used this exact phrase to explain why my tactics didn't work. :D

"If I move here, and then here, and then... Hey! What're those pointy things coming down from the sky at an amazing speed?"

(What? >.> I needed a reason to show off my shiny new sig!)

Bortus
10-03-2006, 16:48
Wow!!!...I wanted to ad someting but alas.....it has all been said...........maybe next time huh?

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
11-03-2006, 02:09
thanks for clearing that up everybody...well, you are all here, mabye you can answer another small question of mine

I was in hand to hand with a group of bretonnian knight of the realm, now, in the front of him was a regiment of tomb guard, to the right flank, were some crappy skellies, and to the rear were some heavy cav., now, he lost combat resolution and failed his panic test, so he ran, but the only way he could run was to the left, and that was off the board

would he just run through my heavy cav? we played it like that...doesnt matter, i smeared his ars all over the grass

thanks

Festus
11-03-2006, 06:31
Hi

He runs away from the unit with the highest US. then there are certain other factors īto be taken into account as well.
Those can be found here:http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/commentary-fleeing/1/

Basically, if his way doesn't lead off the table, he will not go there.

Greetings
Festus

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
11-03-2006, 07:11
thanks for clearing that up

Scott

Atrahasis
11-03-2006, 10:32
I was in hand to hand with a group of bretonnian knight of the realm, now, in the front of him was a regiment of tomb guard, to the right flank, were some crappy skellies, and to the rear were some heavy cav., now, he lost combat resolution and failed his panic test, so he ran, but the only way he could run was to the left, and that was off the board

There is no panic test to take, and probably no break test either, as the Undead most likely outnumber the Brettonians.

WLBjork
11-03-2006, 13:29
Atrahasis, I read it as the Bretonnians broke, at which point they played it correctly.

As Festus says.

T10
12-03-2006, 21:36
thanks for clearing that up everybody...well, you are all here, mabye you can answer another small question of mine

Please feel free to start new threads for new questions. That way you are more likely to attract attention (and thus answers). Hiding them away in other threads is inefficient at best and confusing at worst.

-T10

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
14-03-2006, 21:24
thanks again, and i think i played that wrong, shouldnt have he ran automatically because he was outnumbered by a fear causeing unit(s), or am I mistaken?

Scott

p.s - i swear this will be the last question