PDA

View Full Version : Help moving from 1200 points to 1800 points with Warriors of Chaos

FashaTheDog
13-10-2010, 17:27
I am in an escalation league where the rule is you make an army list for the entire month and cannot change it. I am not overly familiar with the game or the Warriors of Chaos list, but I did fairly well in the 1200 point step using the following:

Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Tzeentch, Level 4, Necrotic Phylactery
Warshrine of Tzeeentch
24 Tzeentch Warriors - Shields, Full Command
15 Khorne Warriors - Shields, Halberds, Full Command

Now that we are moving to 1800 points, I am thinking of adding from these units:

[150] Warshrine of Tzeentch
[150] Warshrine of Tzeentch
[180] Exalted Hero - Mark of Tzeentch, BSB, Banner of Rage
[180] Exalted Hero - Mark of Khorne, Shield, Chaos Runesword
[251] 3 Dragon Ogres - Champion, Great Weapons
[17 each] add up to 5 Warriors to Khorne block
[60] 10 Hounds (want the rank for flank attacks)
[280] 5 Tzeentch Knights - Full Command
[280] 5 Khorne Knights - Full Command

I really like the Warshrines, so at least 1 more is a definite, but I am am unsure of what to take as well. The BSB is a tempting addition to the Tzeentch block. So tentatively I am toying with:

Exalted Hero - Mark of Tzeentch, BSB, Banner of Rage
Exalted Hero - Mark of Khorne, Shield, Chaos Runesword
Warshrine of Tzeeentch
Warshrine of Tzeeentch
24 Tzeentch Warriors - Shields, Full Command w/ Rapturous Standard
19 Khorne Warriors - Shields, Halberds, Full Command

-OR-

Exalted Hero - Mark of Tzeentch, BSB, Banner of Rage, Shield
Warshrine of Tzeeentch
Warshrine of Tzeeentch
34 Tzeentch Warriors - Shields, Full Command w/ Rapturous Standard
20 Khorne Warriors - Shields, Halberds, Full Command

For reference I own the following:

Harry the Hammer
1 Lord w/ 2 axes
27 Warriors w/ hand weapons & shields
18 Warriors w/ halberds & shield
4 Warriors w/ spears & shield
3 Warrior musicians
2 Warrior standards
2 Champions
1 Warrior w/ whip (Chaos Beastmaster)
12 Marauders w/ flails
1 Marauder standard
1 Marauder musician
1 Marauder w/ sword & spear
4 Marauders w/ bows
5 Marauder Horsemen w/ spears & shields
1 Marauder Horsemen musician
1 Marauder Horsemen standard
1 Marauder Horsemen champion
5 Mounted Knights with lances
2 Mounted w/ hand weapons (champions)
10 Mounted w/ hand weapons & shield
2 Mounted standards
2 Mounted musicians
1 Mounted Lord w/ sword & shield
1 Mounted Lord w/ axe
1 Sorcerer
1 Mounted Sorcerer
3 Dragon Ogres
8 Hounds
3 Warshrines

I have 10 unassembled Warriors with the options for shields or a second hand weapon and elven chaos hound proxies (a flesh hound, five Dark Eldar warp beasts, and five Space Wolf wolves).

SlayerMonka
13-10-2010, 20:36
hey dude. I would definely take the BSB, though I would worry about having the banner of rage. I would just give him the helm of many eyes, and a halberd. This means you have 4 str 6 attacks. always stirking first. and generally with re-rolls to hit. If the BSB is having the MoT, would consider giving him a Collar of Khorne as well. 5+ ward and a 4+ward against magic.

I would definely balk out the Khorne warrior unit as well. Have you though about running a small (5 strong) unit of fast cav with throwning axes and MoS.

I wouldnt worry to much about the warhounds, I have found they are pretty much unless.

Have you though of running a block of chosen warriors, with MoT and shields. Plus favour of the gods. to give small choice of what they roll.

Definely go for the second shrine. Though this will stop u taking the dragon orges units. These guys will hit hard. and they will also draw plenty of fire aways from the rest of the army. The dragon orges will be tough to take it though.

In regardless to the units of knights. Ask yourself is it worth while paying 20pts for an extra attack. I would bother taking the champion for the knights, instead spend an extra 20 points taking a 6th knight.

so to sum up.

Taking a BSB with Helm of Many eyes, MoT, Collar of Khorne and halberd / 199pts
taking another 5 khorne warriors / 85pts
5 marauder horse, MoS, throwning axes, Musician /86pts
so far thats 370pts. leaving you with about 230pts.

FashaTheDog
16-10-2010, 17:33
I played a non-league game last night just to try Dragon Ogres and I really like them. The list I used was:

Sorcerer Lord - MoT, Level 4, Phylactery
Exalted Hero - BSB, MoT, Banner of Rage
2 Tzeentch Warshrines
24 Tzeentch Warriors - Shields, Full Command, Rapturous Standard
15 Khorne Warriors - Shields, Halberds, Full Command
3 Dragon Ogres - Champion, Great Weapons

In that game, the Rapturous Standard did nothing, but I have had other games where the doubles or a 1 for break checks with a reroll would have been amazing. The Dragon Ogres were great as slaughtered three Salamanders (and ran down the handlers) and then they hit the side of and ate a big unit of Temple Guard and their Slaan with the Khorne Warriors providing support and soaking up the front rank's attacks. The combination of their 10 S7 attacks and move of 7" made them a useful flanking unit, even after going last.

The idea of giving the Banner of Rage to the unit in lieu of the Rapturous Standard and then tooling him up for combat with the Helm of Many Eyes and a halberd is tempting, but unless I drop a Tzeentch Warrior, I won't have the points to fit him in and with the dual Warshrines fishing for box cars, the Collar seems to be too expensive for insurance, especially if I do not take the halberd and get a 5+ ward from the parry save being bolstered by MoT. Although I am unsure about the Collar on the BSB and the role of the horsemen (they could be swapped for 5 more Khorne Warriors), I will try:

[300] Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord - Phylactery, Level 4
[199] Exalted Hero - BSB, Helm of Many Eyes, MoT, Halberd, Collar of Khorne (might drop this for a Power Familiar for the Sorcerer Lord)
[150] Tzeentch Warshrine
[150] Tzeentch Warshrine
[366] 18 Khorne Warriors - Shields, Halberds, Full Command
[86] 5 Marauder Horsemen - MoS, Throwing Axes, Musician
[547] 23 Chosen - Shields, MoT, Full Command, Banner of Rage, Favor of the Gods