PDA

View Full Version : Warp Lightning Cannon

Dogfax
14-10-2010, 07:24
Hope someone can clear soemthing up for me:

As a Skaven player I do like to field the WLC as much as possible. The only prob is me and my friends had a problem agreeing on how it exactly fires.

As far as I can tell it works as follows.
Place the template where you are aiming.
Roll Art Dice to see how far 4ward it lands.
place the template and roll Art dice again
This is how far it "bounces" and is also the strength of the hit....

now this is the bit we werent sure of.

where the template finishes up, obviously hits all the models touched, but what about tracing back from where the "cannonball" lands??
I though you moved the template from the position it landed and any touched by the moving template got hit.

The other thought was you just took a straight line from the centre of the template and hit any models this line passed over.

Also.... my friend said you couldnt hit more models than there were ranks, from the direction his unit got hit.

Sorry for the complex expalnation.. hope you can make some sense from it!! :)

Eta
14-10-2010, 07:31
AFAIK only the models in a straight line from the position from where the cannonball bounces to the final position are hit (like a normal cannon). Then the thing explodes and the models under the template are hit, too. This is how the two Skaven players in my gaming group are playing it.

Greetings
Eta

Tregar
14-10-2010, 08:20
Yes, treat it as a cannon, THEN place the template at the final point. This is actually spelled out quite neatly in the Skaven army book.

The thing I'm not sure about, is if the shot stops if the "bounce" hits but doesn't kill a big beasty, like other with other cannons. Thoughts?

Synnister
14-10-2010, 22:38
I believe the rules say it fires like a cannon with the differences of template and strength. If it says that then yes it will not bounce through monstrous thingys.

decker_cky
14-10-2010, 23:35
I don't think it stops when it doesn't kill monsters. It shoots as a cannon with a few exceptions, and one of the exceptions covers how things are hit. "All models touched by the template or in the path of the Warp Lightning from where it hits the ground to where it explodes suffer a hit at the Strength rolled." That replaces the "who's hit" of cannons, which includes the multiwound clause.

Chris_
14-10-2010, 23:54
Okay, this is the way I see it:

1. Place it where you want to aim.
2. Roll 1st Artillery Dice, if Misfire then consult the Skaven chart (nothing more happens), if not it overshoots with this much and "hits the ground there"
3. Roll 2nd Artillery Dice to see how far it "bounces", place the template there, this is also the strength of the hits. A misfire here just means no hits are taken, no roll on misfire chart.
4. Everything in a straight line from the point where it hit the ground to the point where it explodes is hit, also everything under the template.

You do not get to hit everything the template passes over. I do agree with decker_cky on the monsters and stuff.

Mystic_Weasel
15-10-2010, 00:16
I think you guys have this pretty much sorted this out.
I'd agree with decker on this.
I would recommend placing a counter or marker rather than the template when aiming as its acting like a cannon at that point and only use the blast at the end when needed, but thats me personally.