PDA

View Full Version : Vampires

snakezenn
15-10-2010, 00:17
Why do there not seem to be any good books from bl on vampires? I mean i read the vampire trilogy the first one was good the other two were not worth the paper they were printed on, i mean they should have been called the dwarf vengeance books NOT part of a vampire trilogy. Secondly, I did really enjoy Blood born but then from what the bl site describes the next book as is the typical vampire with a soul. I do not want a vampire with a soul which is why i will not touch the genevier or however it is spelled about the 'good' vampire. I want my vamps evil and bloodsucker and killing. Are there ANY of those out there from bl?

Tregar
15-10-2010, 08:17
Curse of the Necrarch might suit, but I haven't read it.

RobC
15-10-2010, 18:41
Why do there not seem to be any good books from bl on vampires? I mean i read the vampire trilogy the first one was good the other two were not worth the paper they were printed on, i mean they should have been called the dwarf vengeance books NOT part of a vampire trilogy. Secondly, I did really enjoy Blood born but then from what the bl site describes the next book as is the typical vampire with a soul. I do not want a vampire with a soul which is why i will not touch the genevier or however it is spelled about the 'good' vampire. I want my vamps evil and bloodsucker and killing. Are there ANY of those out there from bl?So you read Bloodborn but are put off from reading the second book because of some blurb?

Wait for Bloodforged to be released, then read an excerpt and see for yourself.

snakezenn
15-10-2010, 20:18
So you read Bloodborn but are put off from reading the second book because of some blurb?

Wait for Bloodforged to be released, then read an excerpt and see for yourself.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/Bloodforged.html

Sounds like they are trying to again make a vampire with a soul to me. Maybe if someone reads it when it comes out and tells me otherwise. If it is as it sounds then just a typical human with vampire powers.

@Tregar: Ill have to check into it.

Tregar
16-10-2010, 13:08
In the Warhammer world, the presence of a soul doesn't really mean a jot. Chaos and Vampires are natural enemies, so it's only right that one such enemy that Ulrika faces is a Chaos cult. I don't think we're in danger of it turning into reverse Buffy/Angel (Although Bloodborn did come close, but ended in the usual GW way which meant it wasn't so bad).

Noserenda
16-10-2010, 16:02
think you are short selling the Genevive books, shes not a nice person, she just wants to be... Plenty of murder and eating folks as i recall ;)

narrativium
16-10-2010, 22:55
There're some pretty cool vampires in the Witch Hunter trilogy too.

FlashGordon
17-10-2010, 12:16
think you are short selling the Genevive books, shes not a nice person, she just wants to be... Plenty of murder and eating folks as i recall ;)

Noooo. i tried reading that one. Felt like a rip off from a certain famous Dark elves associated with another famour fantasy setting.
And it's feels (to me) like fan fiction about a warhammer fantasy roleplay party. Blueaggh. /end rant.

I have yet too read a good vampire book in warhammer.

Tak
17-10-2010, 15:44
If your'e looking for a really, REALLY good book about vampires then I have just one recommendation for you. Strictly speaking it isn't a BL title but this book is an exeptional read therefore I feel duty bound to tell you about it.

It is called Empire of Evil or possibly Evil Empire (it was over ten years ago that I read it which is why I'm not sure about the EXACT title) and it was written by Brian Stableford.

The story explains exactly how vampirism starts at the very beginning and, like I said, is well worth the trouble of tracking a copy down. Iv'e since tried to buy it from Waterstones and was told that it was out of print but there must be a way of finding one.

One of the best books Iv'e EVER read and I'm sure anyone who gets a copy for themselves would agree with me.

Lost_Heretic
17-10-2010, 23:56
Ancient Blood deals with Soulless vampires. I liked it, but a few others didn't. It was supposed to be the start of a trilogy but I'm not sure if Robert Earl will ever complete it.

AndrewGPaul
18-10-2010, 08:20
Noooo. i tried reading that one. Felt like a rip off from a certain famous Dark elves associated with another famour fantasy setting.
And it's feels (to me) like fan fiction about a warhammer fantasy roleplay party. Blueaggh. /end rant.

Drachenfels and The Crystal Shard were published at about the same time. I don't think one is a "rip-off" of the other. :rolleyes:

Define "good vampire book"; Drachenfels, Genevieve Undead and Bloodborn are three of the best novels, featuring vampires or otherwise, in the Warhammer setting. In one's own opinion, of course.

Vampireslayer, of which Bloodborn is an offshoot, features a traditional moustache-twirling villain type of vampire.

sabbathstevie
20-10-2010, 09:00
:chrome:Good BL Books...hmmm. I'm not a massive fan of genevieve, although thats probably because it was written before GW settled on the Nagash/Nehekhara genesis of vampires (and the undead as a whole). I find it odd that Drachenfels himself was often touted as the greatest mage ever but now has been wiped from all GW existence!

Vampire Wars wasn't bad although I agree with Snakezenn that the first book was the best - Vlad Von Carstein really was the archetypal vampire count - melancholic, intelligent and refined but also brutal and terrifying. I think Steven Saville really captured him well, although I feel he may have missed a fantastic opportunity to finally put to bed the Vlad/Vashanesh question and in doing so, expand on what Vlad/Vashanesh did after fleeing from Nagash's defeat. Sadly, he didn't manage to do Konrad justice in the second book - he just didn't quite capture the lunatic violence that I had attributed to him. The last book was an improvement on the second but it had half finished ideas - Teclis spotting that Mannfred's action were guided by Nagash - a great idea and one that really should have been expanded upon.

I'd like to see a BL author tackle some as yet unexplored area of Warhammer vampire history, e.g. Vashanesh>Vlad, Mannfred's wanderings in Nehekhara and possible meeting with Nagash, the story of Zacharias attempting to thwart his master Melkhior, a book about the rise of Abhorash - there is plenty of scope for interesting and challenging novels concerning vampires that don't simply resort to "vampire with a heart of gold" or "good man struggles to cope with his new vampiric abilities".

Tak - Were you talking about "Empire of Fear"? http://freespace.virgin.net/diri.gini/empire.htm
I haven't read it but found the website.

FlashGordon
20-10-2010, 15:52
Drachenfels and The Crystal Shard were published at about the same time. I don't think one is a "rip-off" of the other. :rolleyes:

Define "good vampire book"; Drachenfels, Genevieve Undead and Bloodborn are three of the best novels, featuring vampires or otherwise, in the Warhammer setting. In one's own opinion, of course.

Vampireslayer, of which Bloodborn is an offshoot, features a traditional moustache-twirling villain type of vampire.

1. Maybe so but i read the others first and they where way better. Look i also has rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. My definition of good is a Joyable read, Something i did not get by reading these.
As i said, they feel like someones fanfiction about a roleplaying party(I have read a few novels like that and i only enjoyed Drizzt and dragonlance chron.).
Not trying to hurt anyones feelings but too me it seems like they get too much "good" reviews because they have nostalgia value.
I had that for the Dragonlance chronicles(best novel i ever read... back then, but now they are merely "ok").

Good Vampire book i do not know, never managed to find a good one. Not by BL anyway(read the first two carstein books: meh)

snakezenn
20-10-2010, 16:17
Ancient Blood deals with Soulless vampires. I liked it, but a few others didn't. It was supposed to be the start of a trilogy but I'm not sure if Robert Earl will ever complete it.

I think ive heard of it, is that the one that is supposed to be about an ancient vampire lord that was reborn with no memories or something like that?

RobC
20-10-2010, 18:03
I find it odd that Drachenfels himself was often touted as the greatest mage ever but now has been wiped from all GW existence!Really? Castle Drachenfels makes an appearance on nearly every map of the Empire.

sabbathstevie
20-10-2010, 18:50
Really? Castle Drachenfels makes an appearance on nearly every map of the Empire.

The castle does, but at the time of genevieve IIRC, Drachenfels himself was deemed to be the most powerful magic user around. But at that time GW hadn't yet created Nagash or the vampire origins. Once they did, they seemed to draw a discrete veil over Drachenfels himself - there's no reference to him that I can think of in any current (I.e. 2000 onwards) fluff!

RobC
20-10-2010, 19:42
there's no reference to him that I can think of in any current (I.e. 2000 onwards) fluff!He was rarely mentioned before then. Drachenfels, like most material not created by the Design Studio, has mainly been mentioned in passing if at all.

BobtheInquisitor
20-10-2010, 23:51

How far did you read into it? The very beginning of the Genevieve story is a brief adventure story that pretty much parodies DnD tropes. Then you have the rest of the novel which is about a play that turns into a comedy of errors. Detlef Sierck is really the best part of that novel, but Genevieve is decent, too.

The really good story in that collection, though, is Beasts in Velvet, which is about as far as you can get from a DnD RPG party. It's more of a cynical who-done-it/Victorian horror/political upheaval satire with a huge homage to the Dirty Harry films. It's great.

Tak
22-10-2010, 20:15
:chrome: Tak - Were you talking about "Empire of Fear"? http://freespace.virgin.net/diri.gini/empire.htm
I haven't read it but found the website.

Yes that's the one! Thank you so much for your help and thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yes, if anyone can get their hands on these books, you WON'T be disappointed in any way, it's one of those books that you go through in one day due to you not being able to put it down.

Vivid, very pacy, sinister visuals, original idea's and it would still be a steal at twice the price.

This book is on my wants list again alongside Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned, no really, it's THAT good.

FlashGordon
24-10-2010, 20:33
How far did you read into it? The very beginning of the Genevieve story is a brief adventure story that pretty much parodies DnD tropes. Then you have the rest of the novel which is about a play that turns into a comedy of errors. Detlef Sierck is really the best part of that novel, but Genevieve is decent, too.

The really good story in that collection, though, is Beasts in Velvet, which is about as far as you can get from a DnD RPG party. It's more of a cynical who-done-it/Victorian horror/political upheaval satire with a huge homage to the Dirty Harry films. It's great.

To be honest i read "half", maybe, the first book (i bought the omnibus). I did not like his writing style, for me it was very bad done in many ways(mentioned above). :p

Lost_Heretic
26-10-2010, 01:16
To be honest i read "half", maybe, the first book (i bought the omnibus). I did not like his writing style, for me it was very bad done in many ways(mentioned above). :p

Yeah, the prose are a little lackluster but the story really does build up. I think it was the characters that kept me interested, though - they've very unique in Fantasy literature.