PDA

View Full Version : Hellcannon sigh..

DwD
15-10-2010, 17:50
Hey, having major problems with understanding the Hellcannon. Could someone just make a step list on how to freaking use this thing?

Been reading so much crap and everyone says something different heh.

We used it like this: Place small templete where you want to aim, roll scatter and artillery dice, if it doesn't misscast and you roll a hit it shoots where you aimed, if you roll an arrow + a number you actually hit where the arrow pointed and the number you got is how far it actually came in that direction.

And seriously, 4 attacks?! Does that mean if I only hit 3 models under the template then 1 of those models takes 2 hits?

Yeah I'm lost.. help please :(

Harwammer
15-10-2010, 18:04
Hey, having major problems with understanding the Hellcannon. Could someone just make a step list on how to freaking use this thing?

Been reading so much crap and everyone says something different heh.

We used it like this: Place small templete where you want to aim, roll scatter and artillery dice, if it doesn't misscast and you roll a hit it shoots where you aimed, if you roll an arrow + a number you actually hit where the arrow pointed and the number you got is how far it actually came in that direction.

And seriously, 4 attacks?! Does that mean if I only hit 3 models under the template then 1 of those models takes 2 hits?

Yeah I'm lost.. help please :(

The attack characteristic has nothing to do with shooting. It is used purely for close combat (similarly a character with a bow only gets one shot, not a number equal to its attacks).

To determine hits from a hellcannon shot you just count which models are covered by the template (both partially covered and completely covered count). Each model hit takes a str 5 hit, except for the model the centre hole is over (this model takes a hit at the increase strength. If the model hit by the centre is succesfully wounded then it takes d6 wounds instead of 1, making the centre hit good for killing characters and injuring monsters).

Bac5665
15-10-2010, 18:06
The attack characteristic never has anything to do with any shooting attack, except for a magic item or two for elves.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have it right.

DwD
15-10-2010, 18:28
What about the arrow direction though? Like.. how do you determine if it scatters to the left down or right down? Or even straight down? Do you just random?

SPSchnepp2
15-10-2010, 18:38
You move the template a number of inches the arty die rolled in the direction the arrow die points. It's as simple as that.

DwD
15-10-2010, 18:39
Yes but I was wondering, can it actually roll backwards?

Harwammer
15-10-2010, 18:44
Yes but I was wondering, can it actually roll backwards?

The arrow is used for determining the direction the template moves in after it is placed. The template will move in whatever direction the arrow points in by the number of inches dictated by the misfire dice.

DwD
15-10-2010, 18:46
Ok thanks for the help guys.

Bac5665
15-10-2010, 18:49
Don't let your imagination of what the rules represent (i.e. a daemonic cannon) confuse you with what the rules say. The rules are what they say they are; the hellcannon would work the same way if it was called the Cute Puppy.

Don't let you're idea of how a cannonball work confuse you from what the rules say. If your idea about how a cannonball works makes you want to create a houserule, fine, but keep that thought separate until the rule itself is clear to you.